Post them here.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#2 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Meal plan and do the bulk of your shopping once a week. Weeks when we do are on average at least 200 shekel lower than weeks we do not.

Space heaters- heating our whole apartment if I am the only one home is just silly. I run a tiny energy efficient space heater when I am home alone.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#3 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

Post them here.

Two pennies earned is better than a penny saved.

People spend way too much time trying to save money when they could more easily earn money. There are all sorts of ways people will spend an hour to save $5, when they could have used that hour to babysit and made $10-$15 (or whatever babysitters make these days)
- or shovel snow, or rake leaves, or do another shift at work, or sell things rotting in the closet on eba, or tutor! It shouldn't be hard to find a tutoring job. Those are recurring and basic. Everyone knows something. And tutoring can easily pay $15-$25 an hour I'd guess. And if not tutoring, then lessons in something you know.

Think about all that you might do in one week to save money: Cook food from scratch, clip coupons, make a pillow out of laundry lint :p or whatever. Then think about doing none of that but spending a few hours once a week in an odd job or overtime at work. Could you make $50+ a week with a few hours of effort? Is that less effort and hassle than trying to find ways to save pennies for the same amount?

That said - skip eating out anywhere nice. Stick to pizza etc. People spend money at restaurants more easily than they'd spend that money on something else. Someone might agonize over a $20 or $50 purchase but not think that hard about spending the same eating out.

#4 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

#5 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

A young woman who used to be on h. years ago and now lives in the Territories somewhere writes a column in Ami Living magazine called fun and frugal, based on her blog about saving money. She actually forages for fruit and vegetables; not something I imagine is that easy in Brooklyn.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#6 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

I don't agree with your earlier points, but this is a good one.

You don't think it's better to walk a dog in 15 minutes for $10 than is is to find and clip coupons for the same 15 minutes to save $5?

I think people feel too good about small savings and don't put a lot of weight into earnings. People will sometimes stand online for 15+ hours to be in line to buy something at a crazy sale for $100 off when they could have just worked an evening shift at work the night before, slept well, and then bought the product retail and ended up with more $ in their wallet. But people don't do that.

#7 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

#8 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

A young woman who used to be on h. years ago and now lives in the Territories somewhere writes a column in Ami Living magazine called fun and frugal, based on her blog about saving money. She actually forages for fruit and vegetables; not something I imagine is that easy in Brooklyn.

blackberries and green onions grow wild and rampant throughout Monsey. Forget about grass - you had onion sprouts all through the yard. And good luck if you wanted to get rid of the blackberries. At least they did at my parents house when I was growing up. I used to pick them and be amazed that someone could probably keep a family from starving during the summer just from the backyard.

Granted, grilled green onions or onion+water soup and blackberries or blackberry preserve (sans sugar) isn't really a meal and won't make you happy, but you could probably survive on it for a month or two and it was totally wild. I felt like a farmer.

#9 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

blackberries and green onions grow wild and rampant throughout Monsey. Forget about grass - you had onion sprouts all through the yard. And good luck if you wanted to get rid of the blackberries. At least they did at my parents house when I was growing up. I used to pick them and be amazed that someone could probably keep a family from starving during the summer just from the backyard.

Granted, grilled green onions or onion+water soup and blackberries or blackberry preserve (sans sugar) isn't really a meal and won't make you happy, but you could probably survive on it for a month or two and it was totally wild. I felt like a farmer.

:wub:

Actually, foraging tours of NYC's parks are fairly common.

:wub:
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#10 Gretchen

Gretchen

New and Improved

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

blackberries and green onions grow wild and rampant throughout Monsey. Forget about grass -

Growing your own grass is definitely a money-saver.
COEXIST

#11 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I love the idea of green onion sprouts instead of grass in the backyard!

#12 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Manicure my nails myself
Wax at home instead of a salon
Homemade wax from sugar

Learn to live with less.

#13 Silence

Silence

Gabbai

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Two pennies earned is better than a penny saved.

I also think it is healthier to work/make a little more than to try to pinch pennies.

Tax consideration; it is more like, three pennies earned is better than a penny saved. :p
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it for himself."
- Galileo Galilei
"זֶה-הַיּוֹם, עָשָׂה יְהוָה; נָגִילָה וְנִשְׂמְחָה בוֹ"
- Tehillim 118:24

#14 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Remember the cost of gas when going to a second store because they have a product for $5 less.

#15 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Buy generic or store brand, until you find out the brand name is better/tastes better.
Use vinegar instead of cleanser for the floors, it's cheaper and safer.

#16 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

#17 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

#18 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

have less stuff.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#19 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

#20 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

alternatively sell your body for sex

Money-saving ######?
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users