Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

what?

nothing.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#23 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Two pennies earned is better than a penny saved.

People spend way too much time trying to save money when they could more easily earn money. There are all sorts of ways people will spend an hour to save $5, when they could have used that hour to babysit and made $10-$15 (or whatever babysitters make these days)
- or shovel snow, or rake leaves, or do another shift at work, or sell things rotting in the closet on eba, or tutor! It shouldn't be hard to find a tutoring job. Those are recurring and basic. Everyone knows something. And tutoring can easily pay $15-$25 an hour I'd guess. And if not tutoring, then lessons in something you know.

The thing with cost saving though is that it may take a large initial outlay of time/energy to establish routines, figure out substitutes, find the best places to shop and clip coupons. But once you've done that (or so I'm told) it's not really a lot of extra effort week in and week out.

#24 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Tips from a dude who's 107 years old.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#25 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#26 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Go to your local shadchan and tell them that you are a shomeret negiyah girl looking to get married. The shadchan will introduce you to men who will treat you to dinner.

#27 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

Two pennies earned is better than a penny saved.

People spend way too much time trying to save money when they could more easily earn money. There are all sorts of ways people will spend an hour to save $5, when they could have used that hour to babysit and made $10-$15 (or whatever babysitters make these days)
- or shovel snow, or rake leaves, or do another shift at work, or sell things rotting in the closet on eba, or tutor! It shouldn't be hard to find a tutoring job. Those are recurring and basic. Everyone knows something. And tutoring can easily pay $15-$25 an hour I'd guess. And if not tutoring, then lessons in something you know.

Think about all that you might do in one week to save money: Cook food from scratch, clip coupons, make a pillow out of laundry lint :p or whatever. Then think about doing none of that but spending a few hours once a week in an odd job or overtime at work. Could you make $50+ a week with a few hours of effort? Is that less effort and hassle than trying to find ways to save pennies for the same amount?

Oh, I absolutely agree. I used to do crazy money-saving things, but then decided to put a money value on my time, and now I don't generally bother with extra* stuff that save me less than that, especially if I wouldn't be wasting the time otherwise.

*extra meaning things that I wouldn't regularly do. For example, I still cook my own dinners, even though the savings may be under the limit. But I won't walk for a half hour in the rain to avoid taking the train, even if it saves me 2.25.

But there are tips that don't take much time. For example, this morning my mother saved $30 on her monthly phone bill after spending five minutes on the phone with Sprint. I'm sure such things work with other companies, as well.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#28 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

That said - skip eating out anywhere nice. Stick to pizza etc. People spend money at restaurants more easily than they'd spend that money on something else. Someone might agonize over a $20 or $50 purchase but not think that hard about spending the same eating out.

Agreed. Especially beware of the drinks. Alternatively, in conjunction with Bez's suggestion, find a guy to buy you drinks.

Manicure my nails myself
Wax at home instead of a salon
Homemade wax from sugar

Good tips.

Remember the cost of gas when going to a second store because they have a product for $5 less.

Oh yes. Or when opting to go to the store for returns instead of shipping them.

skip the fish on shabbos lunch. that way you also save on hot water washing the dishes after shabbos

I agree.

Live somewhere other than NY or LA

Bad idea.

The thing with cost saving though is that it may take a large initial outlay of time/energy to establish routines, figure out substitutes, find the best places to shop and clip coupons. But once you've done that (or so I'm told) it's not really a lot of extra effort week in and week out.

It's definitely worth it to take five minutes to check out the specials. Some people, however, make coupons a lifestyle. Let me find that article in the Wired...

It's definitely worth it to take five minutes to check out the specials. Some people, however, make coupons a lifestyle. Let me find that article in the Wired...

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/11/ff_hackingretail/

#29 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

never mind. posted before I finished the article.

#30 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

#31 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Not worth the headache.

:biggrin:

#32 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

Bump.

#33 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

Run out of checks and be without for a month. It's amazing how much money you don't spend when you can't :)
(Sorry meshulachim!!)
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#34 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

Sleeping Beauty came at 4
Her eyes were filled with tears.
"Oh my," she said, "I overslept
About a hundred years."

(Mr. Cuckoo's Clock Shop)

#35 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Meal plan and do the bulk of your shopping once a week. Weeks when we do are on average at least 200 shekel lower than weeks we do not.

Space heaters- heating our whole apartment if I am the only one home is just silly. I run a tiny energy efficient space heater when I am home alone.

A young woman who used to be on h. years ago and now lives in the Territories somewhere writes a column in Ami Living magazine called fun and frugal, based on her blog about saving money. She actually forages for fruit and vegetables; not something I imagine is that easy in Brooklyn.

How is that avoiding stealing? Also, I've read that blog and it's not necessarily realistic or saving.

You don't think it's better to walk a dog in 15 minutes for $10 than is is to find and clip coupons for the same 15 minutes to save $5?

I think people feel too good about small savings and don't put a lot of weight into earnings. People will sometimes stand online for 15+ hours to be in line to buy something at a crazy sale for $100 off when they could have just worked an evening shift at work the night before, slept well, and then bought the product retail and ended up with more $ in their wallet. But people don't do that.

:thumbsup: The issue is that it's often hard to find a job for 1-2 hours that can easily land you $100. You usually need to make a committment but the person doesn't necessarilywant $100 EVERY time

Manicure my nails myself
Wax at home instead of a salon
Homemade wax from sugar

Learn to live with less.

I think we all do think we live with less, than Mr. Jones. The issue is that we need to learn that we also live with more than Mr. Schwartz

Remember the cost of gas when going to a second store because they have a product for $5 less.

:thumbsup:

this site reaps what it sows

now I'm curious at the meaning?

I was told that too, but I'm not sure it's true. You also need a lot of time to go to whatever random store has a crazy sale AND a place to STORE the gazillion of things you got a great deal on.

Run out of checks and be without for a month. It's amazing how much money you don't spend when you can't :)
(Sorry meshulachim!!)

The bank can print you temporary ones.

This is pretty obvious but I haven't been buying paper cups lately. I have drinking glasses and plastic cups for my daughter and that's about it. Takes a second to rinse a glass.

Yes, but I'm extremely lazy and when my kids can just take it themselves with a plastic cup, it helps.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#36 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

But if the bank prints you checks, you haven't saved any money.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#37 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Always walk around with only large bills in your pocket, you'll never want to "break them" and you'll save a LOT of money...
[/flirting]

#38 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Always walk around with only large bills in your pocket, you'll never want to "break them" and you'll save a LOT of money...

I'm always looking to break large bills. They are a pain because most of my cash needs involve small bills (tips, cash-only cabs, cleaning lady, street or green markets, etc). Why would I want to not break a large bill?

If I'm in a place that's likely to break a large bill, I'll often take advantage of the opportunity. The only time I prefer large bills is for holiday presents for my building's staff.

#39 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

I'm always looking to break large bills. They are a pain because most of my cash needs involve small bills (tips, cash-only cabs, cleaning lady, street or green markets, etc). Why would I want to not break a large bill?

I should have posted a disclaimer, that this doesn't apply to rich people....
[/flirting]

#40 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

I should have posted a disclaimer, that this doesn't apply to rich people....

How does this have anything to do with whether someone is rich or not. Why would anyone want to carry around a bill that is difficult to spend? I suppose if you're a kid it could be cool. But as an adult, if you want to save it, deposit it. If you want to spend it, make it spendable.

The only cash I carry around is cash I'm going to spend in the next week or so. Also, as to this affecting spending - how many people shop with cash and would be limited by the cash in their wallet and whether it's a big bill or not? Even if you have awful credit -- even if you have $100 to your name - you can still get a debit card. I don't see how taking the money out of the bank (or not depositing it) and carrying it around as a $100 bill accomplishes anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users