• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

But if the bank prints you checks, you haven't saved any money.

it's cheaper than buying your own checks, but WAY WAY more annoying. I don't recommend it unless you're desperate.

I'm always looking to break large bills. They are a pain because most of my cash needs involve small bills (tips, cash-only cabs, cleaning lady, street or green markets, etc). Why would I want to not break a large bill?

If I'm in a place that's likely to break a large bill, I'll often take advantage of the opportunity. The only time I prefer large bills is for holiday presents for my building's staff.

Reading this post, I'm thinking I would imagine R would need large bills for tips, cash only cabs, and such :)... :)
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#42 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Depends on your bank. And promotions you get for buying checks...but it's definitely faster, as long as you have time to get to a bank before it closes.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#43 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

it's cheaper than buying your own checks, but WAY WAY more annoying. I don't recommend it unless you're desperate.

Reading this post, I'm thinking I would imagine R would need large bills for tips, cash only cabs, and such :)... :)

How? I implied the exact opposite. Really, nothing about what I said implies that I spend a lot of money or that I have a lot of money. I said I don't like large bills because they are not practical, so on the rare occasion I have one I prefer to either deposit them or to break them into small bills.

The only time I get large bills is when my mother gives me cash for Chanukah (because she know I wouldn't cash her check because I don't want her to give me money). I either try to break those bills right away or I deposit them. having a 50 or 100 dollar bill is not special. Anyone with $100 to their name could go to a bank and get a $100 bill and carry it around to feel cool, I suppose.

#44 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

To me, $20 is a big bill. Which is why I hate ATMs :(

#45 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

To me, $20 is a big bill. Which is why I hate ATMs :(

I actually find $20 bills a pain too - I try to save my $5's and $10's and singles. If I don't have anything smaller than a $20 I will try to break a $20. Nearly everything I pay for in cash requires small bills. For me, a perfect amount of cash to have on hand would be no more than $80. Say, 2 $20, 2 $10, 3 $5 and 5 $1. That's enough to pay for anything I pay for with cash and the small bills mean I can round it to the nearest dollar. When I only have big bills I overpay tips . For example, if I had to pay my cleaning lady $50 as my desired total including tip but only had 20's, I'd end up paying her $60 - $10 more than I wanted to pay.

I think that "big bills" generally refers to $50 and $100 so that's what I addressed.

#46 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

There is an ATM near me that lets you take money out in $1 increments.

#47 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

When I ran out of checks, I paid someone I owed $260 instead of $250, with their agreement that I'd give them $240 the next time because of the $20 increments. (They didn't have change.)

#48 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

I hope you're keeping tabs on inflation.

#49 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

And tutoring can easily pay $15-$25 an hour I'd guess.

Not sure what kind of tutoring you're referring to, but in my neighborhood, the going rate is $65-$75/hour for tutoring a basic subject to a junior high student (like teaching a 6th grade student how to multiply decimals or fractions, etc). I remember getting paid more than $25/hr to tutor over 10 years ago. [And there are always many more students than there are people want to tutor, especially around midterm or finals time. Anyone in NYC area who is good at junior high math and wants a side job, let me know - I'll hook you up.]

The really money for side jobs is in swimming lessons - the going rate is now $90/hr ($45/half hour session). But that you need certification for that (well, you should need is more accurate).

#50 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

well, I was being conservative and also didn't know what the rate was. People are saying it's really hard to get a side job. Well if the going rate is $65+/hr for tutoring, then "anyone"should be able to get $15-$25.

If the going rate is $65-$75 and there's really a glut of students, I'd consider that (assuming it's at least an hour and they come to me or I don't have to travel very far)! I'm good with middle school math :)

#51 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

I hope you're keeping tabs on inflation.

2 weeks later?

#52 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

well, I was being conservative and also didn't know what the rate was. People are saying it's really hard to get a side job. Well if the going rate is $65+/hr for tutoring, then "anyone"should be able to get $15-$25.

If the going rate is $65-$75 and there's really a glut of students, I'd consider that (assuming it's at least an hour and they come to me or I don't have to travel very far)! I'm good with middle school math :)

the real tutoring money in NY is for regents exams (pretty much any subject, and you don't need real credentials). back in the mid-90s, i had classmates paying well over 50/hour (for individual tutoring; much more if two students shared tutoring sessions) months prior the exam, and several hundred dollars for enrollment in half-day crash courses the weekend before. idiots.
zinh.

#53 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

btw, should have posted this earlier

http://xkcd.com/951/

#54 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

btw, should have posted this earlier

http://xkcd.com/951/

While mathematically this is true, if you're not on the clock, you're working for zippo. So a penny saved is a penny earned.

#55 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

While mathematically this is true, if you're not on the clock, you're working for zippo. So a penny saved is a penny earned.

Yes, but my point was that if you're not on the clock you can get on the clock with a side job and make at least minimum wage - probably more. It's not clip coupons or watch TV. It can be a choice between 1. Clip coupons, 2. Watch TV, or 3. Babysit and watch TV (while clipping coupons, if you must)

#56 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Yes, but my point was that if you're not on the clock you can get on the clock with a side job and make at least minimum wage - probably more.

Most people aren't interested in working two jobs unless they absolutely have to.

#57 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Most people aren't interested in working two jobs unless they absolutely have to.

I get that - that's why I'm pointing out that it's illogical. Also, "side jobs" doesn't mean two jobs. A couple of hours of tutoring might make more money than coupon clipping for an entire year.

Also, I don't have to work 2 jobs and I'd probably take up tutoring at $75/hr. I haven't justified buying myself an iPad or the iPhone 4(S) yet (or a new laptop - the latter of which I actually need, since I am currently without one. I'd feel more justified buying these things if I tossed in a few hours of tutoring.

#58 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

I get that - that's why I'm pointing out that it's illogical. Also, "side jobs" doesn't mean two jobs. A couple of hours of tutoring might make more money than coupon clipping for an entire year.

It's not illogical. It's placing the value of your time at home with your family over money.

#59 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

It's not illogical. It's placing the value of your time at home with your family over money.

If you're focused on clipping coupons, I don't think it's quality time with your family. If you want to stay at home then offer tutoring or copyediting in your home or find some other short one-time work at home project. The question is not whether you should work or not. If you don't want to work, then don't. But if you're already working to clip coupons because of perceived savings, realize that you can likely make substantially more for your efforts if you earned dollars with that time and effort rather than trying to save pennies.

#60 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

If you're focused on clipping coupons, I don't think it's quality time with your family. If you want to stay at home then offer tutoring or copyediting in your home or find some other short one-time work at home project. The question is not whether you should work or not. If you don't want to work, then don't. But if you're already working to clip coupons because of perceived savings, realize that you can likely make substantially more for your efforts if you earned dollars with that time and effort rather than trying to save pennies.

Some people enjoy the game of coupon clipping. Though I suppose if you aren't enjoying it but you're spending countless hours on it, then yeah, you might be better off doing something else. But most people I know spend 10 minutes flipping through the newspaper inserts and that's it. Not hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users