Little Money-Saving Tips

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

an $189 lazer will really remove the hair for life?? If true, impressive.

#82 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

I'm sure mileage will vary, but yes for me. I had the standard 6 laser treatments on my leg years ago and have no shaved once since. Underarms too. Bikini line too :p I don't own razors.

#83 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm sure mileage will vary, but yes for me. I had the standard 6 laser treatments on my leg years ago and have no shaved once since. Underarms too. Bikini line too :p I don't own razors.

is it 6 treatments = $189 or is it 6x $189? Do your legs glow in the dark?

#84 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

is it 6 treatments = $189 or is it 6x $189? Do your legs glow in the dark?

6 treatments with the groupon is $189 total. Laser generally requires 5-6 well-timed treatments to get all the hair, since hairs are at different stages in the lifecycle of a hair and laser only kills them at certain stages. If you have 6 sessions timed 5-6 weeks apart, every hair should be caught at the right time on one of the sessions. Each session covers the whole area, but only a fraction of those hairs will be gone for good.

To be fair, when I had my legs done it was $1000 for the 6-treatment package. I didn't use a groupon. But with groupon you can get the same exact 6-treatment-package for $189.

#85 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

It seems like every 3rd groupon I get is for this deal. I just searched my mail for "Groupon Laser Hair" and I got similar deal from at least 5 different places in the last 3 months. Laser places do this all the time because they are fixed cost businesses and it's easy for them to charge nearly nothing to get you in the door.

I had a half leg lasered (I never grew hair on my legs above my knee) and my underarms. Both 5+ years ago, and I haven't shaved once since and it looks like the skin on my cheek. So regular old laser places worked for me.

Mine arent for laser but I'm not signed up in the financial district. Thats good for you then, I went to this place called laser cosmetica, I felt like their lasers didnt work at all.

But come on, there is an argument to be made that laser saves you money if you would go get waxed instead, but shaving is super cheap. Laser is about time saving..

Also, you realize that groupons are really just online coupons, so theres really no difference between checking those, and clipping coupons...

(not for most people, i think the warranty at most places is hair reduction for up to 5 years)

#86 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

But come on, there is an argument to be made that laser saves you money if you would go get waxed instead, but shaving is super cheap. Laser is about time saving..

You don't spend $189 for 5 years worth of shaving? That's great. I suppose it depends on what kind of razors and cream you buy and how often you replace it. I replaced razors frequently because I found that they didn't give as smooth of a shave after a few uses.

Also, you realize that groupons are really just online coupons, so theres really no difference between checking those, and clipping coupons...

I got no problem with people clipping coupons if they enjoy it or if it's time effective. If someone wants to clip an $811 coupon off laser, that's great. If someone can clip coupons to an effective savings, then sure. But I also see people hunting and pecking to clip 10 cent coupons. Also, I see people making suboptimal purchases based on savings. Growing up, the cereals we could get at the supermarket were tightly tied to the cereals my mother had coupons for. Didn't even matter if we wanted a cheaper cereal. A $4 cereal with a 50 cent coupon would win out over the $3 cereal we really wanted. Also, she'd sometimes buy things we didn't normally have - like air fresheners or whatever - if she had a coupon for it. Not everyone is irrational about coupons, but many people are.

(not for most people, i think the warranty at most places is hair reduction for up to 5 years)

That doesn't mean it does grow back after 5 years. I had my underarms done nearly 9 years ago and have not seen regrowth..

Hormonal areas don't last - so for people getting chin/upper lip done, it's a totally different story. But legs and underarms actually do pretty well. Also, even for people who have it grow back, it doesn't all grow back, and typically a single touch up appointment every few years can keep it at bay.

#87 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

You don't spend $189 for 5 years worth of shaving? That's great. I suppose it depends on what kind of razors and cream you buy and how often you replace it. I replaced razors frequently because I found that they didn't give as smooth of a shave after a few uses.

I got no problem with people clipping coupons if they enjoy it or if it's time effective. If someone wants to clip an $811 coupon off laser, that's great. If someone can clip coupons to an effective savings, then sure. But I also see people hunting and pecking to clip 10 cent coupons. Also, I see people making suboptimal purchases based on savings. Growing up, the cereals we could get at the supermarket were tightly tied to the cereals my mother had coupons for. Didn't even matter if we wanted a cheaper cereal. A $4 cereal with a 50 cent coupon would win out over the $3 cereal we really wanted. Also, she'd sometimes buy things we didn't normally have - like air fresheners or whatever - if she had a coupon for it. Not everyone is irrational about coupons, but many people are.

That doesn't mean it does grow back after 5 years. I had my underarms done nearly 9 years ago and have not seen regrowth..

Hormonal areas don't last - so for people getting chin/upper lip done, it's a totally different story. But legs and underarms actually do pretty well. Also, even for people who have it grow back, it doesn't all grow back, and typically a single touch up appointment every few years can keep it at bay.

That's good...you're lucky it worked so well for you. I got my legs done, and still need to shave. Shaving is really cheap for me, maybe like $40 a year. Thanks for sharing the groupon though! :)

(I personally have never clipped coupons, too lazy for all that, but I do love groupon though I do think people actually end up wasting money on it, instead of saving.)

#88 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

My understanding is that only electrolysis is allowed to be billed as permanent hair removal.

#89 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

d00d, don't encourage her... kthxbai!
[/flirting]

#90 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

This is an easy way of saving money. It's really simple and straightforward to use.

Dear American friend or family member of a TopCashBack.co.uk member (who no doubt forwarded this email to you),
TopCashBack.com has now launched in America, and we're proud to say that we are the USA's most generous rebates site as we give ALL the commission stores pay us, back to our members as cashback. We stand out from the crowd because most websites usually keep this money, or other cashback rebate sites help themselves to a cut of your cashback.

Please accept our special invitation to be one of the first members of TopCashBack.com. It's free to join and we'd love to help you save money on all your online shopping, like we have for over 1.2 million Brits.

Simply follow these simple steps to join and start earning huge cashback rebates.

1 Sign up free at TopCashBack.com. You only need to register your email address. You'll receive an email from us asking to confirm that you wish to become a TopCashBack member.

Please click the 'authenticate your TopCashBack account'; link in that email, and then you're all set.

2 Sign into your TopCashBack account and use the 'store finder' search box at the top of every page to locate the online store you want to purchase something from, or use the category sections at the top of the pages to navigate to the particular type of store you want. There are over 1,500 stores to choose from and we're adding 100s more each month.
3 Once you've found the store you want, click on its big, orange 'Get Cashback Now' graphic link. You'll be sent to the store's website and should shop as you normally would. Everything will be at the same price - if there's a sale on, you'll get the same sale prices - and your goods will be sent out in the exact same way as if you had gone to the site direct.
4 Once you've paid for your goods, within a few hours (but occasionally a few days, depending on the store) the amount of cashback you've earned will appear in yourTopCashBack account. Once we have received the commission from the store you bought items from, we'll pass ALL OF IT to you to spend, save or donate to a good cause!
Follow these steps each and every time you want to buy something online

#91 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

This is an easy way of saving money. It's really simple and straightforward to use.

They have several of these already and they're fairly popular. I used one briefly when I was purchasing camera equipment - it saved me around $200. For small purchases though, I find it too much of an annoyance to actually use. There are members that've racked up huge savings though - I think Shaina did really well with this.

#92 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

They have several of these already and they're fairly popular. I used one briefly when I was purchasing camera equipment - it saved me around $200. For small purchases though, I find it too much of an annoyance to actually use. There are members that've racked up huge savings though - I think Shaina did really well with this.

Yeah - I've gotten about $1,750 back through ebates ... but I registered in 1999. I already have a sense for which stores have good commissions -- for example, drugstore.com often pays 10-12% back, and they are priced well with free shipping. So if I'm going to make a $50 or $100 purchase, it's worth the 20 seconds to click through from ebates to get $5-$10 back.

upromise has also been around for a while. That's generally marketed as putting the money into higher education savings (a 529 plan for example). That's nicer because you can then ask friends/family to use the links too, since it's not directly profiting you but rather it's for kiddo's schooling.

#93 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

btw - with full disclosure that this definitely benefits me too - here's a referral ebates link. http://www.ebates.co...id=OH1J6HpK6v4=

Yeah - I've gotten about $1,750 back through ebates ... but I registered in 1999. I already have a sense for which stores have good commissions -- for example, drugstore.com often pays 10-12% back, and they are priced well with free shipping. So if I'm going to make a $50 or $100 purchase, it's worth the 20 seconds to click through from ebates to get $5-$10 back.

upromise has also been around for a while. That's generally marketed as putting the money into higher education savings (a 529 plan for example). That's nicer because you can then ask friends/family to use the links too, since it's not directly profiting you but rather it's for kiddo's schooling.

#94 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, it's really not annoying once you get used to doing it. It's so automatic for me to buy everything through ebates. Some people just stick a post it on the top of their screen with the word EBATES in bold, as a reminder.
Posted Image

#95 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, it's really not annoying once you get used to doing it. It's so automatic for me to buy everything through ebates. Some people just stick a post it on the top of their screen with the word EBATES in bold, as a reminder.

Right my problem is that I forget.

#96 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Right my problem is that I forget.

make it a habit --
also, always check out retailmenot.com
Easily the best coupon site out there.

#97 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

make it a habit --
also, always check out retailmenot.com
Easily the best coupon site out there.

have you forgotten where I live?

#98 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

have you forgotten where I live?

May I tell them that you cook an awesome dinner?
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#99 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

May I tell them that you cook an awesome dinner?

too late :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users