• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Let's say the talis bag is worn out and needs to be replaced. The tefillin bag is fine. Do both need to be replaced at the same time so they match? (Let's say you don't want the same style again.)

#2 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Let's say the talis bag is worn out and needs to be replaced. The tefillin bag is fine. Do both need to be replaced at the same time so they match? (Let's say you don't want the same style again.)

it's a machlokes rishonim. :p
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#3 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

I couldn't care less. One is always inside of the other.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#4 ArielBA

ArielBA

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

I really cant see why it would matter at all if the bags dont match. More an aesthetic issue, I would say. Would it bother you if they were not alike?
I <3 shiksas

#5 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

I made both for my husband. While they are both cross stitch, they are two totally different designs.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#6 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

#7 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

#8 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

Funny enough,it is the tefillin bag that has 2 small ducks in the bottom corner!

Honestly, the tefillin bag was the first big needle work project I ever did- if I look back at it I am NOT particularly proud of my "floral" motif. I have offered a number of times to do another one for him, but he keeps saying no. I made it when we were dating. The tallit bag I still love. The math in getting it even took forever!

Both are backed with double soft good quality velvet and lined in satin. A friend sewed the bags for me with the cross stitch on the front. At other times I have also done a tefillin bag with a set of tefillin on it as a bar mitzvah gift for someone, and a tallit bag with a modern looking Jerusalem skyliny for my FIL.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.

Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box

#9 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

#10 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Amen, and thank you. Looking for tefillot right now that this pregnancy should go as long as possible!

#11 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Nice work, Happyduck! I don't think I"m up to such a sustained effort.

#12 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

Named after the chazon ish?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#13 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

#14 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

doesn't a tefillin bag have to go in shaimos?

Does it?
The inside lining of the tallis bag was completely ripped and had to be removed, and now it's just sitting on the dresser until I figure out what to do with it.

#15 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

#16 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

I dunno. But it's hechsher kedushah as opposed to a tallit bag that is hechsher mitzvah.

what's the distinction?

#17 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

#18 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

Explain again, please.
Hechsher kedushah =
Hechsher mitzvah =

#19 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Does it?
The inside lining of the tallis bag was completely ripped and had to be removed, and now it's just sitting on the dresser until I figure out what to do with it.

How many other items are on the dressed until you figure out what to do with them? Right now, I cleared off the pileS yesterday and condensced into one pile.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#20 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

How many other items are on the dressed until you figure out what to do with them? Right now, I cleared off the pileS yesterday and condensced into one pile.

:ninja:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users