About a hundred years."

(Mr. Cuckoo's Clock Shop)

#2 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

Our daughter has vacation this week so we would like to get away for a day or two. We're not really into skiing and we're traveling with a 3 year old and 5 month old. We can get by on sandwiches and fruit and whatever we can find in supermarkets. Given the age of our kids I'm not sure what our options are- somewhere with an aquarium? Indoor playgrounds? What's in the Poconos?

If you live in the NE, I can't think of attractive options in driving range in this weather if you aren't into winter sports.

Have you considered taking the kids to Florida? the flight's not too long, and with the cut-rate airlines, you should be able to find tickets at not-bad prices.

You could even stay over shabbat. i don't know about kosher options in Disney-area hotels, but when I have a conference, I call Ma'adan in Teaneck and they ship meals down to the hotel at pretty reasonable prices.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#3 peeptoad

peeptoad

Masmid

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

If you live somewhere cold and are looking to get out of the weather for a break, then I second Florida. I'm going to Tampa for a few days next month (I live in Boston) and the plane tickets were not that expensive. In fact, per person, right now we're under $400 apiece for a 3 night stay, including travel expenses and accommodation.

If you want cold, then I have nothing to offer. :biggrin:

Oh, and there is an aquarium (and Bush gardens, etc) in Tampa...

#4 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Sleeping Beauty came at 4
Her eyes were filled with tears.
"Oh my," she said, "I overslept
About a hundred years."

#5 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park (maybe not your speed, but its the obvious place)

Stepping stones museum in Norwalk Ct - it was a bit pricey, but very new and nice.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#6 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

Florida requires more planning.
It seems like there's another snowstorm brewing so I guess we'll have yet another staycation and go into the city for activities like the Jewish Children's Museum. What's there to do with 3 year olds in Manhattan?

The first time I took my daughters to the Museum of Natural History they were about 2 years old, and they loved it.

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#7 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

About a hundred years."

#8 younglady

younglady

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk CT is also fabulous. It's pretty small and very mellow and perfect for toddlers. NJ Children's Museum in Paramus is also nice.
Love, commitment, and effort conquer almost all

#9 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

Florida requires more planning.

Just airplane tickets. The hotels have plenty of available rooms, you can just fly in, get a cab/car to Miami Beach, walk into a hotel, boom you're on the beach in the middle of kosher food, great weather, and tons of stuff for kids to do (animals, parks, waters, birds, etc). And you'll actually feel like you've gone on vacation.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#10 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

Just airplane tickets. The hotels have plenty of available rooms, you can just fly in, get a cab/car to Miami Beach, walk into a hotel, boom you're on the beach in the middle of kosher food, great weather, and tons of stuff for kids to do (animals, parks, waters, birds, etc). And you'll actually feel like you've gone on vacation.

I'm not seeing these super-cheap flights. The cheapest I see right now is $155, and at 3 tickets that's $450, before you've even paid for hotels or food.

#11 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

I'm not seeing these super-cheap flights. The cheapest I see right now is $155, and at 3 tickets that's $450, before you've even paid for hotels or food.

Vacations cost money.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#12 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

About a hundred years."

#13 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

You could show your children some exciting winter sports:

building snowmen

shoveling snow

tracking snow all over mommy's nice clean kitchen floor....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users