• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

Italics aren't bothersome, however, since it's understood that this is meant to be a journal. If he posted all of his posts in Italics, I'd skip them too.

Exactly. As I stated in a previous post, poems and other special posts are excepted from the general rule.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#42 accolade

accolade

probably doesn't care

• Members
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

As an aside, I found out recently that the NYU Blood Donor Center accepts blood from cancer survivors if 2 full years of remission have passed. I just donated today for the first time in years.

That made me happy. Thanks for sharing.
דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד

#43 KeepCoolNY

KeepCoolNY

Masmid

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

About a year and a half ago I answered to an email message that Chaya Lipshutz of Kidney Mitzvah sent around. The risks for donating a kidney are relatively small (for a major operation), and the benefits to the recipient great.

Best of luck and health to you, keepcoolny

Thank you.

#44 KeepCoolNY

KeepCoolNY

Masmid

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

Part IV

I had scheduled my first visit to the transplant center for orientation and testing for last week Friday but work forced me to reschedule for Tuesday. Renewal graciously sent someone to pick me up at home for my 9am appointment so I don't have to endure over two hours on the A and the 4. I arrived at the transplant center just a few minutes late and it started immediately: the paperwork. More disclaimers, more questions and more signatures.

Paperwork complete, the day can start. Awkwardly shlepping around my puffy jacket and backpack, I will be going from office to office until 2pm. We start with the scale (159!) and blood pressure (normal) using both arms. We then move on to blood (10 vials in different lengths and cute colors) and urine (just half a small container).

Then we wait.

Next up is the meeting with a social worker. They want to make sure I am of sound mind to make the decision to donate and that I am not donating for the wrong reasons. The meeting lasts a lot longer than expected and includes the expected (Why do you want to donate? Does your family support you?) to the unexpected (Why the lack of relationship with your father? What was your label among your siblings growing up). I wonder if I "passed" that one...

Then we wait.

While I wait I meet the Renewal program director in person as he just drove another potential donor in from Lakewood. He in turn introduces me to a woman who received a donor kidney just over a year ago who happened to be in for a follow up visit. When he tells her that I am a potential donor she starts losing her words. She tries to express to me her amazement and appreciation; to try and impress upon me that I too can give someone their life back.

Then we wait.

Finally we have the orientation "class" which ends up being just me and one other guy. The transplant coordinator goes through a PowerPoint presentation filled with information they have already handed to me as well as some new information. We review donor selection criteria, the matching process, the risks, the surgery and more. The transplant center is proud of their strict donor selection and attributes their low rate of death (0) and complications to this strict selection process.

She does not mince words when it comes to describing the surgery. There will be pain, a lot of pain. I will wake up bloated with a catheter in my bowels and everyone will be cheering me on, trying to get me to pass gas. Apparently the bowels are the last to wake up from the anesthesia.

I have until I am under anesthesia to back out.

Before I come back for the next set of tests I will need to do a 24 hour urine collection. I will spare you the gory parts but suffice it to say that I left with a giant jug with a little bit of acid at the bottom.

I meet the surgeon who in the end will actually be the one overseeing the transplant surgery. It's a quick meeting, he does the requisite stethoscope check and I am off to my next stop.

Next stop, EKG. Open your shirt and lie down. I'll just connect these leads here and you'll be done in a minute. Here's your EKG results sheet, take that back up to the transplant center.

Next stop, chest x-ray. Now this part of the hospital was a whole other story. I waited almost an hour among people in various stages of disease and decay until they finally snap two x-ray pictures of my chest and I am finally free to go.

More educated about the process and the risks, I am still committed to this.

#45 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

:thumbsup:
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#46 GoodEats!

GoodEats!

Masmid

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

:clapping:

#47 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Part IV
I will be going from office to office until 2pm. We start with the scale (159!) and blood pressure (normal) using both arms.

So impressed with your decision and how you are handling this. You are a role model! I do find it funny that you posted your weight. Only a guy would do that! :)

....and includes the expected (Why do you want to donate? Does your family support you?) to the unexpected (Why the lack of relationship with your father? What was your label among your siblings growing up). I wonder if I "passed" that one...

Interesing questions. I wonder how any person would answer these. It's a good thinking point.

#48 KeepCoolNY

KeepCoolNY

Masmid

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

Just a quick update: I completed the 24-hour urine collection over the weekend and had my CT scan today. Next appointment is to meet with the surgeon, the donor advocate and the nephrologist. I should write a real update...

#49 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#50 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

Just found out that Renewal considers accepting kidneys from cancer survivors after 5 years clean. Interesting.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#51 KeepCoolNY

KeepCoolNY

Masmid

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

Just a quick update on this very long process. The Nephrologist pointed out that I will need to lead a healthy lifestyle after my donation so he wants to see my cholesterol and my weight start heading down before they accept my kidney.

My PTT numbers were high (45) in repeated tests so I am supposed to go for a visit with the hematologist to discuss it as it may kibosh the whole thing.

That's it for now...

#52 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

In case anyone is still following, just wanted to post that KeepCoolNY donated his kidney on Tuesday. He's been in the hospital since then and is recovering nicely. He donated to a 16 year old girl, who is doing really well. He'll hopefully be released today and then will be recovering for the next 2 weeks at home.

#53 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thank you for sharing.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#54 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

In case anyone is still following, just wanted to post that KeepCoolNY donated his kidney on Tuesday. He's been in the hospital since then and is recovering nicely. He donated to a 16 year old girl, who is doing really well. He'll hopefully be released today and then will be recovering for the next 2 weeks at home.

Amazing. Thanks for the update! Tizku lmitzvos KC!
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#55 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

We have a friend doing it tomorrow. Kol Hakavod to them both.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#56 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

I don't know how I originally missed this thread. How inspiring!
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users