• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

since the gemara says that only kosher animals have horns, was triceratops a kosher animal?
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#2 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

#3 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

Is the rhino?

and jackson's chameleon?
zinh.

#4 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

#5 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

since the gemara says that only kosher animals have horns, was triceratops a kosher animal?

As a bird that eats only plants, it might be that it is a kosher animal, but since we don't have a tradition of eating it...
וזה עקר צער של ישראל שיש להם בגלות
הכל הוא מחמת שנפלו מהדעת ותולין
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

#6 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

I read an article stating that the triceratops is the young version of another dinosaur.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#7 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

I read an article stating that the triceratops is the young version of another dinosaur.

So... what's the halacha with veal? Doesn't it have to be a certain age?
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

#8 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

Or unicorns, for that matter.

#9 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

#10 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Its a sheretz. A really big one.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#11 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:19 AM

As a bird that eats only plants, it might be that it is a kosher animal, but since we don't have a tradition of eating it...

You're confusing it with a Pteradactyl ...a triceratops was a three horned animal like a rhino.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#12 DaKaD

DaKaD

Hocker

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

It is said that this exceedingly ugly creature is a direct descendant of a mutant Triceratops. As she is not kosher, we can assume that Triceratops is not as well.
Throw Mondrowitz down the well, so the children will be free....

Did you hear about the lamb who is suing Ahmadinejad for child support?

Reform replaced Parshas Zachor with Mishkav Zachor.

#13 DaKaD

DaKaD

Hocker

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:08 AM

Kosher. Had an awesome rack of unicorn the other day.

Does it taste better than dragon? I used to buy frozen dragon with the Badatz Sheretz Yishmuel hechsher on it for Shabbos, and then it changed to Eida haCharuvis and my erev rav told me not to buy it anymore.
Throw Mondrowitz down the well, so the children will be free....

Did you hear about the lamb who is suing Ahmadinejad for child support?

Reform replaced Parshas Zachor with Mishkav Zachor.

#14 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

So... what's the halacha with veal? Doesn't it have to be a certain age?

after eight days (according to some opinions) you're good, at least as far as age-related issues go.

no, sav, you're not kosher. sorry.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#15 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

I seem to remember learning something about unicorn horns and the bais hamikdash....
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#16 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

no, sav, you're not kosher. sorry.

I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :wink2:

#17 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :wink2:

6-5 and pick 'em. :p

-Mark Twain

#18 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

I seem to remember learning something about unicorn horns and the bais hamikdash....

...and their rainbow colored skin.

#19 Ezrahite

Ezrahite

Masmid

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

If the narwhal I've been dining on are kosher than the unicorns probably are too.

Unicorn and narwhal meet in the wild:

Posted Image

#20 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

You're confusing it with a Pteradactyl ...a triceratops was a three horned animal like a rhino.

Actually, pterodactyls are lizards. Birds in general are considered by scientists to be the last living dinosaurs. I have my doubts about the veracity of science, so I assume that what we know as dinosaurs are just birds that maybe we don't know about.

Their skeletons all share many unique features of avian anatomy, it's very interesting stuff.
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users