• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steven.james924

steven.james924

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hello,
I recently heard that the Pharisees in the 1st century would go to a certain field before Passover, pay the owner for wheat, gather it, bring it back and during some prayer or blessing ceremony they would move the bread in the four cardinal directions. Does any have any info on this or know where I could find evidence of it?

#2 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hello,
I recently heard that the Pharisees in the 1st century would go to a certain field before Passover, pay the owner for wheat, gather it, bring it back and during some prayer or blessing ceremony they would move the bread in the four cardinal directions. Does any have any info on this or know where I could find evidence of it?

Your question is confusing. The Prushim ("Pharisees") is an old name for rabbinical Judaism, as distinguished from other heretical movements of the time, like the tzdukim ("saducees") and the early xians. This was, of course, many thousands of years after the first century. In the first century, Adam's third son Sheis hadn't even been born yet.
וזה עקר צער של ישראל שיש להם בגלות
הכל הוא מחמת שנפלו מהדעת ותולין
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

#3 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

Your question is confusing. The Prushim ("Pharisees") is an old name for rabbinical Judaism, as distinguished from other heretical movements of the time, like the tzdukim ("saducees") and the early xians. This was, of course, many thousands of years after the first century. In the first century, Adam's third son Sheis hadn't even been born yet.

BCE or CE. :rolleyes:

#4 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

BCE or CE. :rolleyes:

Shhhh
וזה עקר צער של ישראל שיש להם בגלות
הכל הוא מחמת שנפלו מהדעת ותולין
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

#5 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

other heretical movements? :o
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#6 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Since no one else seems to want the reins here...

I think that what you might be referring to is the Omer harvest ritual offering, which was one of any number of regular Temple services. If I'm not mistaken, the service actually took place on the second day of Passover. The original biblical commandment was simply to bring an offering of grain from the early harvest. I don't know any specifics of that particular offering, but similar offerings often involved scooping the flour manually, mixing with oil, and "waving" the offering in the four directions. Jews across Israel did not eat from the new harvest until the offering was offered in Jerusalem, and even today, some Jews across the world do not eat from any recent harvest until the day the offering would have been offered in the Temple (i.e. the second day of Passover.)

The reason this ritual might be considered specific to the Pharisees is because(again, if memory serves) the Sadducees disagreed with the Pharisaic interpretation of the Biblical verses, and believed that the offering was to be brought on the Sunday following the first (or according to some sources the last) day of Passover. The Sadducees would engage in subterfuge to have the offering brought according to their opinion, and the Pharisees in turn, created a "big show" of going en masse to the field, harvesting the grain, and offering it in the Temple according to their opinion.

I did not look any of this up, so I welcome anyone with a sharper memory to offer a more accurate version.

Observation for those who are still paying attention - a modern day Sadducee would have to be makpid on chodosh for up to a week and a half longer than a regular frummie!
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users