• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

I think that the usable life of a car is about 120,000 miles. If we were to split the life of a car into 3 sections, what would be the cheapest point to own the car, on a per-mile basis?

A. 0-40,000 miles
B. 40,000-80,000 miles
C. 80,000-120,000 miles

Consider the buy price minus the sale price, the insurance, the difference in gas mileage, etc.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#2 Shemmy

Shemmy

Orthodox Ethiopian Hebrew

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

I think that the usable life of a car is about 120,000 miles.

You must not purchase reliable vehicles. 120k miles is significantly under the usable life of a solid vehicle.

Israelite by birth, Hebrew by adoption, Jewish by conversion

Hagebbir Shemaria Israel bar Abraham de Israel

#3 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

I think that the usable life of a car is about 120,000 miles.

I actually don't think that's the case. I just bought a used car that has more than 120,000 miles and it works really well. I was told by my mechanic that it can last another 5 years or so. I know it doesn't answer your question at all, but I wanted to say that every car has a different lifetime, depending on the make and model. Not sure of your question's answer, though.

#4 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

I mean for good reliable use.

#5 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

I actually don't think that's the case. I just bought a used car that has more than 120,000 miles and it works really well. I was told by my mechanic that it can last another 5 years or so. I know it doesn't answer your question at all, but I wanted to say that every car has a different lifetime, depending on the make and model. Not sure of your question's answer, though.

5 years, with paying him (the mechanic) how much per year? He's probably in it for the profit.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#6 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

5 years, with paying him (the mechanic) how much per year? He's probably in it for the profit.

of course he's in it for the profit. no one fixes cars lishma.
zinh.

#7 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Honda, Lexus, and Toyota (just off the top of my head) can easily make it to 200k (and beyond!) if properly cared for. I'd say B if you don't know how it was cared for and C if you are confident that the car was in good hands.
Blessed be all

#8 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

Honda, Lexus, and Toyota (just off the top of my head) can easily make it to 200k (and beyond!) if properly cared for. I'd say B if you don't know how it was cared for and C if you are confident that the car was in good hands.

There comes a time when repairs on a car cost so much that per-mile, a newer car is cheaper.

Also, if you always run your cars into the ground, you wont get much money for them. The buy price and sell price you want to have as close together as possible to ensure you pay next to nothing for your car.

#9 Shemmy

Shemmy

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

There comes a time when repairs on a car cost so much that per-mile, a newer car is cheaper.

And depending on the vehicle, that time can be at a point of extremely high mileage. For example, outside of headgaskets on the 4cyl engines, Subarus don't reach that point until after 300k miles if they are regularly maintained (fluid changes, etc).

Also, if you always run your cars into the ground, you wont get much money for them. The buy price and sell price you want to have as close together as possible to ensure you pay next to nothing for your car.

That depends on how often one purchases a new vehicle. Let's compare Honda/Toyota owners with Subaru owners. Both groups generally are very brand loyal. As much as Honda/Toyota vehicles have longevity, their owners tend to fit within the "new car every three to five years" mould. On the other hand, Subaru owners tend to replace their vehicle once every 8-10 years. If you're replacing your vehicle within the typical loan period, of course you're going to want that purchase/resale value to balance as much as possible. If you're replacing it 4-6 years outside of that period, you may not be so concerned.

Caveat: I'm a Subaru junkie, but I've also worked in car sales and am familiar with the trends. A "low mileage" used Honda/Toyota is going to be 35-50k miles. A "low mileage" Subaru is going to be 90-150k miles.

#10 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

And depending on the vehicle, that time can be at a point of extremely high mileage. For example, outside of headgaskets on the 4cyl engines, Subarus don't reach that point until after 300k miles if they are regularly maintained (fluid changes, etc).

That depends on how often one purchases a new vehicle. Let's compare Honda/Toyota owners with Subaru owners. Both groups generally are very brand loyal. As much as Honda/Toyota vehicles have longevity, their owners tend to fit within the "new car every three to five years" mould. On the other hand, Subaru owners tend to replace their vehicle once every 8-10 years. If you're replacing your vehicle within the typical loan period, of course you're going to want that purchase/resale value to balance as much as possible. If you're replacing it 4-6 years outside of that period, you may not be so concerned.

Caveat: I'm a Subaru junkie, but I've also worked in car sales and am familiar with the trends. A "low mileage" used Honda/Toyota is going to be 35-50k miles. A "low mileage" Subaru is going to be 90-150k miles.

Allright. So if you've worked in sales, what gleanings of wisdom can you give us?

#11 Shemmy

Shemmy

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Allright. So if you've worked in sales, what gleanings of wisdom can you give us?

With regards to?

#12 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Let's compare Honda/Toyota owners with Subaru owners. Both groups generally are very brand loyal. As much as Honda/Toyota vehicles have longevity, their owners tend to fit within the "new car every three to five years" mould. On the other hand, Subaru owners tend to replace their vehicle once every 8-10 years.

For what it's worth, my father is a die hard Subaru owner. He has driven a Subaru for as long as I can remember and has owned them for 8 to 10 years each (with the exception of the latest one which is about two years old so far).
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#13 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

For what it's worth, my father is a die hard Subaru owner. He has driven a Subaru for as long as I can remember and has owned them for 8 to 10 years each (with the exception of the latest one which is about two years old so far).

How many miles does he put on them, and does he buy new?

#14 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

How many miles does he put on them, and does he buy new?

He puts a lot of miles on them. I don't know the exact amount. He bought the last one new, not sure about the others.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#15 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

It's actually a pleasure to have a mechanic friend, or a mechanic who is trustworthy. I've seen lots of cars last more than 100,000 that are well maintained.

Honda, Lexus, and Toyota (just off the top of my head) can easily make it to 200k (and beyond!) if properly cared for.

:agree:
Religious period maintanence can help a car go a long way to last a long, happy, and healthy life!

#16 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Edited by Diogenes The Cynic, 09 March 2011 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users