• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

When you go on vacation, do you make sure you have a minyan for shabbat, and do you dutifully go to shul and then have a sitdown lunch, perhaps try to get a lunch invitation?

Have you spent Shabbats in non-Jewish places, with just you and your friends/family in your hotel? What did you do during the day?
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#2 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

When you go on vacation, do you make sure you have a minyan for shabbat, and do you dutifully go to shul and then have a sitdown lunch, perhaps try to get a lunch invitation?

Have you spent Shabbats in non-Jewish places, with just you and your friends/family in your hotel? What did you do during the day?

We try to make sure we have a minyan when we go away for Shabbos and go to shul. We will try to either bring somewhat of a shabbos meal (rolls, cold cuts, etc.) or if we know a rabbi nearby or something we may try to get an invite. (we rarely go away, though).

We have lived in non-Jewish places near a hotel. We have often offered to host guests for a meal or two or three when they are staying there, sometimes they were thrilled. Other times, they preferred to stay in hotel since they already had acquired necessary food stuff (or had baby and no eruv). I always wish I knew at least on Friday so I could call and invite versus waiting for mh to bring home Friday night from shul. During the day = read, wander hotel, wander outside if no eruv issues, etc.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#3 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

When my kids were little we either went to Chabad or came home.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#4 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

We try and be somewhere Jewish for Shabbos. This year it will be imperative that we are; as MH is an ovel.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#5 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

This is when it's great to be a girl. No minyan necessary. I've actually taken jarred gefilte fish, grape juice, et al on exotic vacations to make it more shabbosdik, but we still got to hang out at the pool afterward :)

#6 mosheshmeal

mosheshmeal

Verisimilitudinous

• Members
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

When my kids were little we either went to Chabad or came home.

?

'I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.'

~ Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham

#7 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

We don't go places anymore.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

#8 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

This is when it's great to be a girl. No minyan necessary. I've actually taken jarred gefilte fish, grape juice, et al on exotic vacations to make it more shabbosdik, but we still got to hang out at the pool afterward :)

Oh yes....for years me and a bunch of my girls would rent a cabin in the Poconos for Thanksgiving shabbos....sadly I think those days are but over. I really think this is a personal thing, every person / couple / family needs to do what is comfortable for them and will add to Shabbos, not make it difficult or a drag. I think having kids in a hotel over shabbos would be very challenging and I'd opt to spend it with strangers instead. Just a couple, its more doable, especially if there's a minyan close enough (for those who care). I think a little crock meal meal in a hotel room actually sounds sweet and romantic!
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#9 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

....sadly I think those days are but over.

Why is it sad? Weren't you waiting and pining for those days to end?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#10 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Why is it sad? Weren't you waiting and pining for those days to end?

oh no, thats not at all why its sad. Its just sad that I dont have the ability to pick up and go to a cabin for shabbos, I wish we had more options to doing that. Dont read too much into sadly, it just seemed like a good word to stick in before 'those days are over'
God, grant us the...

#11 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Ok. I guess, but I would still think it would be 'happily those days are over and I've been granted a wonderful family that prevents me from the old 'pick up 'n go' attitude. But, as you say, whatever floats your boat.

#12 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

Ok. I guess, but I would still think it would be 'happily those days are over and I've been granted a wonderful family that prevents me from the old 'pick up 'n go' attitude. But, as you say, whatever floats your boat.

um. Its not the 'pick up 'n go' attitude I miss. We pick up and go away plenty. its the fact that men often like to daven in a minyan which isn't happening in Poconos, PA. I actually think a couple / family getaway in a cabin would be very romantic and we've spent a weekday or two in one. But its not the same as shabbos.
God, grant us the...

#13 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

No.

The idea is to select hotels that are near interesting or or scenic places, so that you can walk around.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#14 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

The idea is to select hotels that are near interesting or or scenic places, so that you can walk around.

Yup. Shabbos in Venice was perfect, since simply walking around is perfect for a day.

#15 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

I think that's a personal decision. If you sleep a whole Shabbos anyway, stay home. If you're looking for touring and fun, maybe you'd enjoy it.

#16 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

um. Its not the 'pick up 'n go' attitude I miss. We pick up and go away plenty. its the fact that men often like to daven in a minyan which isn't happening in Poconos, PA. I actually think a couple / family getaway in a cabin would be very romantic and we've spent a weekday or two in one. But its not the same as shabbos.

Okay, but still - be grateful that you have a husband who cares about minyan. I still don't think it's sad. I don't know, maybe it's me, but it looks like all the reasons you can no longer do this are 'good' reasons, not 'sad' ones.

#17 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

Okay, but still - be grateful that you have a husband who cares about minyan. I still don't think it's sad. I don't know, maybe it's me, but it looks like all the reasons you can no longer do this are 'good' reasons, not 'sad' ones.

While obviously she should be grateful to have a wonderful husband, and while obviously it's great to care about minyan all things being equal, but why should someone be grateful for davka having a husband who cares about minyan?

While I personally would like to go to minyan more often, I can see how me going to minyan can sometimes be annoying and inconvenient to my family.

~My Blog~

#18 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

While obviously she should be grateful to have a wonderful husband, and while obviously it's great to care about minyan all things being equal, but why should someone be grateful for davka having a husband who cares about minyan?

While I personally would like to go to minyan more often, I can see how me going to minyan can sometimes be annoying and inconvenient to my family.

Your wife should be grateful that you have that desire.
Again, I think a person should look at the positive aspects of a situation versus worrying about the 'sad' parts. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, sorry.

#19 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

Your wife should be grateful that you have that desire.
Again, I think a person should look at the positive aspects of a situation versus worrying about the 'sad' parts. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, sorry.

Let's say my wife was into jogging. Every day she is makpid to run every day for 2 hours. Now that's wonderful for her, and I'm thrilled that she's having fun doing it, but it would still be annoying as it's 2 hours of the day out of our "together time". For example.

~My Blog~

#20 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

Be grateful she cares enough about her health to run for 2 hours a day.

I see your point, I still think I like focusing on positive especially if you get what you asked for (i.e. a husband who attends minyan)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users