• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Do you endorse your check before depositing it into the bank? If not, why not?

At what point after receiving the check, do you endorse the check? Immediately after receiving it? While filling out deposit slip?

What information do you put on the check when endorsing? Just a signature? Signature plus account?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#2 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Do you endorse your check before depositing it into the bank? If not, why not?

At what point after receiving the check, do you endorse the check? Immediately after receiving it? While filling out deposit slip?

What information do you put on the check when endorsing? Just a signature? Signature plus account?

Yes, because that's the way my parents taught me how to do it, and I've never questioned the practice.

I endorse right before I deposit, same time as the slip, and include the account number. I didn't know there were alternatives!
Blessed be all

#3 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

I didn't know there were alternatives!

Of course there are.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#4 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

hardly ever get checks, but when I do I endorse at the bank, or if I endorse beforehand I'll write "For Deposit only to Account # xxxxxxxxx"

logic is that once you endorse it, if you lose it anyone else can take it and cash it. But I suppose that's true with cash. Don't lose cash, and don't lose checks :p

But if it were, say, a $10,000 check, I definitely wouldn't endorse it until I was at the bank.

#5 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

hardly ever get checks, but when I do I endorse at the bank, or if I endorse beforehand I'll write "For Deposit only to Account # xxxxxxxxx"

logic is that once you endorse it, if you lose it anyone else can take it and cash it. But I suppose that's true with cash. Don't lose cash, and don't lose checks :p

But if it were, say, a $10,000 check, I definitely wouldn't endorse it until I was at the bank.

Is it safer to wait until at bank to endorse? OR is it safer to endorse ASAP with the deposit only claim?

#6 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Is it safer to wait until at bank to endorse? OR is it safer to endorse ASAP with the deposit only claim?

deposit only is safest. Someone can forge your signature, but it's hard to cross out a deposit-only assertion.

#7 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

deposit only is safest. Someone can forge your signature, but it's hard to cross out a deposit-only assertion.

So why would you do the opposite wiht a $10,000 check versus an $18 Chanukah gift?

#8 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

So why would you do the opposite wiht a $10,000 check versus an $18 Chanukah gift?

I wouldn't now - I'm saying you're right. For deposit only is probably the safest approach.

Thing is, I take care not to lose checks, so whatever.

#9 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Thing is, I take care not to lose checks, so whatever.

I guess you're more responsible than I am.

#10 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

You don't need to endorse a check made out to you AFAIK, unless you are paying it over to someone else. eg. Ami magazine sends me dollar checks which for me are a PITA, so MH takes them and pays them into a dollar bank account he has in Israel, so I endorse them otherwise he wouldn't be able to do that as they're made out to me.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#11 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

You don't need to endorse a check made out to you AFAIK, unless you are paying it over to someone else. eg. Ami magazine sends me dollar checks which for me are a PITA, so MH takes them and pays them into a dollar bank account he has in Israel, so I endorse them otherwise he wouldn't be able to do that as they're made out to me.

Endorsing a check, means you're giving over rights to another person, afaik. You can endorse a check to a person or a bank. I believe there is a limit to how many times one check can be endorsed though.

#12 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Endorsing a check, means you're giving over rights to another person, afaik. You can endorse a check to a person or a bank. I believe there is a limit to how many times one check can be endorsed though.

I've never yet endorsed a check to a bank. I just pay it in to my account.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#13 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

I've never yet endorsed a check to a bank. I just pay it in to my account.

What does that mean? (Do you mean 'deposit'?)

#14 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

i deposit my checks online.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#15 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

What does that mean? (Do you mean 'deposit'?)

Yes.

#16 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

How?

#17 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

As an aside, my business law books spelled it "indorse" instead of "endorse," and it drove me batty. Even Firefox thinks it's spelled wrong.

#18 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

As an aside, my business law books spelled it "indorse" instead of "endorse," and it drove me batty. Even Firefox thinks it's spelled wrong.

How can a law book not know how to spell the word endorse?

#19 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

How?

How what?

#20 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

How can a law book not know how to spell the word endorse?

Both are correct, but endorse is much more commonly used.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users