Photo

What do I have to pay for to make aliyah?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am planning on making aliyah within a year through NBN from the US West Coast. I am looking into the go North program. I was wondering what I would have to pay for when making aliyah. I'm talking about the trip and shipment of goods (not the start up living expenses).

I assume I would have to pay for shipment of items or Release of Shipment.

What other costs are involved?
Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

#2 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

The trip is free, shipping is NOT, but you are exempt from many customs fees... (and the money NBN gives you will probably cover it anyway)...
[/flirting]

#3 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

I heard in Go north program they give you a car or at least a down payment for a car.See u here soon.
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#4 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

The trip is free, shipping is NOT, but you are exempt from many customs fees... (and the money NBN gives you will probably cover it anyway)...

Thanks. Now I have to decide what to ship and what to sell/throw out. Posted Image

I heard in Go north program they give you a car or at least a down payment for a car.See u here soon.

Yeah they give $ for a new car or leasing a car. I think I'll pass unless it is cost effective. I heard from numerous sources that having a car there is very expensive. After living in Los Angeles and driving in this traffic my whole life I am ready to use public transportation or walk. The exercise is good. Posted Image
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#5 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

I don't advise you to move up North without a car.

The public transportation in Israel happens to be amazing... just about everywhere except in the North where it is almost non-existent. There is a reason NBN offers the car in the North: most people find it impossible to live there without one.

Anyway, good luck and maybe I'll greet you in the airport! :)

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#6 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

I don't advise you to move up North without a car.

The public transportation in Israel happens to be amazing... just about everywhere except in the North where it is almost non-existent. There is a reason NBN offers the car in the North: most people find it impossible to live there without one.

Anyway, good luck and maybe I'll greet you in the airport! :)

There is no public transportation from Tiberius/Tzafet to Haifa? To the south? Yeah hopefully I can find a cheap car then...
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#7 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

There is no public transportation from Tiberius/Tzafet to Haifa? To the south? Yeah hopefully I can find a cheap car then...

There is, but they don't come very often and are slow and expensive.

Plus I'm talking about things like going shopping and everyday things. Of course I wasn't referring to the big cities but the smaller areas. I guess maybe you could do without a car in the cities though I've never lived there so don't know for sure.

Pinchas is right - micha

#8 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

There is, but they don't come very often and are slow and expensive.

Plus I'm talking about things like going shopping and everyday things. Of course I wasn't referring to the big cities but the smaller areas. I guess maybe you could do without a car in the cities though I've never lived there so don't know for sure.

Ok Thanks for the info. I'm also looking into the Shomron area and I'm going to make a post about this later.
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#9 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Is there a tax on US Dollars brought over during aliyah?
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#10 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

Good Question.

Don't know the answer. But why would you want to bring it over? Most people just leave a US account open and manage it from here.

Pinchas is right - micha

#11 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

Is there a tax on US Dollars brought over during aliyah?

What do you mean "brought over"?
In your suitcase if it's over a certain amount you have to declare it to customs, if you bring a check or wire transfer, I'm really not sure...
[/flirting]

#12 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

What do you mean "brought over"?
In your suitcase if it's over a certain amount you have to declare it to customs, if you bring a check or wire transfer, I'm really not sure...

Was wondering for both a check and for a sizeable amount of cash.

Good Question.

Don't know the answer. But why would you want to bring it over? Most people just leave a US account open and manage it from here.

I was under the impression that there was penalties/fees if you transferred money for US banks...

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#13 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

I was under the impression that there was penalties/fees if you transferred money for US banks...

There are?

Pinchas is right - micha

#14 3_monkeys

3_monkeys

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

Was wondering for both a check and for a sizeable amount of cash.

The bank we used was free to transfer money if you waited a specified amount of time (30 days???) If you wanted/needed it right away there was some sort of charge.
You may also need to pay a fee to get your shipment released at the port. We were told a certain amount by our shipper and then surprise, surprise when we went to the office, the amount had gone up significantly.

#15 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

Join the NBN Yahoo group. They have been discussing which banks are easiest to work with and charge the lowest fees.

#16 EdfromNachlaot

EdfromNachlaot

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:52 AM

1 - Besides shipping, you'll also want to have a cash reserve. Assume you won't have any income for 6-12 months. While you will likely find a job before then, it will likely be a lower paying job, and you will need some time to adjust to an Israeli Standard of Living.

2 - Pay off your US Debts as much as possible. While you might be able to carry a $500 a month credit card payment on your US Salary, you won't want or need that burden here.

3 - Much like any long distance move, you'll need the money for setting up your apartment. Depending on your needs, this might vary, but having a thousand shekels for things you buy once in a blue moon, but won't have when you get here, is a good idea. (Trash Cans, Mops, Sponges, Dish Soap, etc, etc...)

4 - You will probably want your Resume professionally reviewed, and translated to Hebrew is a very good idea. Have a few hundred shekels for this.

5 - If you are wiring over (around) $10,000, there are some legal concerns. Chech on the NBN site for details.

6 - Check with your bank about wiring fees, and assume on any transfer of money from there to here, you will lose about 1% in various fees and conversions.

7 - You'll want/need a cell phone and service, an Internet connection and service, maybe a land line and/or cable/satelite.

#17 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thanks

What is the best landline long distance company to use in Israel to call the US?
I have skype but I'm not sure if they are competitive and there is the internet service concern.

1 - Besides shipping, you'll also want to have a cash reserve. Assume you won't have any income for 6-12 months. While you will likely find a job before then, it will likely be a lower paying job, and you will need some time to adjust to an Israeli Standard of Living.

2 - Pay off your US Debts as much as possible. While you might be able to carry a $500 a month credit card payment on your US Salary, you won't want or need that burden here.

3 - Much like any long distance move, you'll need the money for setting up your apartment. Depending on your needs, this might vary, but having a thousand shekels for things you buy once in a blue moon, but won't have when you get here, is a good idea. (Trash Cans, Mops, Sponges, Dish Soap, etc, etc...)

4 - You will probably want your Resume professionally reviewed, and translated to Hebrew is a very good idea. Have a few hundred shekels for this.

5 - If you are wiring over (around) $10,000, there are some legal concerns. Chech on the NBN site for details.

6 - Check with your bank about wiring fees, and assume on any transfer of money from there to here, you will lose about 1% in various fees and conversions.

7 - You'll want/need a cell phone and service, an Internet connection and service, maybe a land line and/or cable/satelite.

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#18 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks

What is the best landline long distance company to use in Israel to call the US?
I have skype but I'm not sure if they are competitive and there is the internet service concern.

I find that it's pretty difficult to compare phone plans, just as in the US. the phone companies are about as fun to deal with as those in the US, which makes them only slightly less pleasant than having a root canal.

Generally, calling the US is pretty cheap, some small fraction of a shekel per minute. Of course, nothing is really cheaper than skype, as far as I know. Others could probably answer this better than I.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#19 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

They're discussing this right now on the NBN yahoo group.

#20 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

link please Posted Image

They're discussing this right now on the NBN yahoo group.

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users