Photo

Slide To The Right

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Slide To The Right (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Has there been a slide to the right (aka increase in religiosity) in recent years?

1. Yes, there has been a slide to the right. (9 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. No, things have stayed pretty much the same. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Somewhat, but only in certain geographic areas. (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Actually there has been a slide to the left. (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

It seems to me that over the last say fifteen years that has been a slide to the right. People seem to be adopting more chumras than ever before and allowing less and less deviation from what is considered ideal.

1. Am I imagining this or is it a real phenomenon?

2. If this is happening, what are the reasons for it?
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#2 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

Is it a "slide to the right" or a greater polarization of Jewish society? At the same time as people discuss the slide, we also have places that consider themselves Orthodox that are pushing the lines on the left.

There definitely has been a paradigm shift on the RW towards chumra. I have come across at least 2 explanations for this, 1 is the loss of Mesorah as a result of the Holocaust, and 2 I heards a Rabbi saying once that the Briskers started a movement of acting based on text as opposed to Minhag, and the result of that is being machmir on possible misunderstanding. (The rabbis said the part about Brisk, the extension is my understanding)
The isolationist attitude may or may not be worse than in the past, my guess is that at least part of it is a fight against the "Orthodox" that are pushing leftward, and all the slippery slope stuff...
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#3 Shemmy

Shemmy

Orthodox Ethiopian Hebrew

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

I would agree with your perception, but I'm hesitant to actually vote, because I think it's simply a perception and not a measurable phenomenon. Having said that, I would certainly say that there has been a slide to the right within the ranks of Sepahrdim and the Edoth Hamizrah, and we can thank Haham Obadia and Shas for the Haredization of non-Ashkenazic communities :(

Israelite by birth, Hebrew by adoption, Jewish by conversion

Hagebbir Shemaria Israel bar Abraham de Israel

#4 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

Its a culture war, and the RW Yeshivas won.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#5 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#6 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

I think there's been a slide on both sides. And it isn't a new phenomenon. It waxes and wanes and shifts over time.

How so?
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

#7 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#8 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

It seems to me that over the last say fifteen years that has been a slide to the right. People seem to be adopting more chumras than ever before and allowing less and less deviation from what is considered ideal.

2006 called. They want their thread back.

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0520247639

#9 Leah Anderson

Leah Anderson

Gabbai

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

So where do the tuna beigels fit into all this?

#10 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

So where do the tuna beigels fit into all this?

Bagels are associated with Jews but they don't have anything to do with the slide to the right as far as I know.

#11 Leah Anderson

Leah Anderson

Gabbai

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

Bagels are associated with Jews but they don't have anything to do with the slide to the right as far as I know.

this kind of tuna beigel http://www.theyeshiv...is-a-tuna-bagel

#12 HaBenYakirLi

HaBenYakirLi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

Here's an article from 1994 that said it's been going on for a while ... and has some explanation http://www.bethtfilo.../misc_35307.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users