• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

I used up a Duncan Hines cake mix box (devils food), and an Aunt Jemimah whole wheat pancake box. Mmm.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#22 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

what could i do with phyllo dough and spinach (something parve for shabbos)?

spincah roll, what else? We make that all the time.

Weds. is lasagna and spaghetti for other half of the family.

What's for the first half
(p.s. pls don't invite me for Tues night)
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#23 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

(lasagna -> 1st half )
You're hereby not invited.

This is nuts but instead of tuna burgers I made....matza brei tonight. Kids requested it, and I wasn't sure if my matza is chometz gamur since it says on the box in big letters "chometz".
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#24 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

I used up a Duncan Hines cake mix box (devils food), and an Aunt Jemimah whole wheat pancake box. Mmm.

How is this creative, a main dish, or not boring (according to the OP)?

This is nuts but instead of tuna burgers I made....matza brei tonight. Kids requested it, and I wasn't sure if my matza is chometz gamur since it says on the box in big letters "chometz".

I love matza brei! Pretty creative to make it now as a main since the matzah's chometz. Wouldn't have thought of that.

#25 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

What good is it to make non-standard if no one will eat it? :)

I don't know what you mean by "non-standard", but I rarely make the same thing twice. My family always eats it. I'm a good cook.
FYI, what's in your spinach roll? I hate working with phyllo; it's such a pain, that's why I'm always stuck with it right before pesach.

#26 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

How is this creative, a main dish, or not boring (according to the OP)?

I find duncan hines cake creative and non-boring, and I ate it for dinner, which makes it an entree.

:rolleyes:
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#27 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:14 AM

#28 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

I don't know what you mean by "non-standard", but I rarely make the same thing twice. My family always eats it. I'm a good cook.
FYI, what's in your spinach roll? I hate working with phyllo; it's such a pain, that's why I'm always stuck with it right before pesach.

It wasn't to you -- it was to the OP that the challenge had to be non-standard.

Most people think I'm a good cook (ask my sisters, parents, etc). That doesn't help my family learn to be brave and try some non-traditional things...

#29 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

Usually it says 'not for passover use' not 'chometz'. Things like egg matzo or similar that some people, under mitigating circumstance can use, but isn't real chometz gamur. (I think you're not supposed to eat that pre-pesach tho)

I would have to ask my cook. Btt, I believe it involves sauteeing onions, adding in spinach, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese to sautee and keeping it going, perhaps a bit of milk, then placing in dough and rolling up. We make our own 'dough' though, with whole wheat flour. It's very delicious if you don't underdo the cheddar cheese

It wasn't to you -- it was to the OP that the challenge had to be non-standard.

Most people think I'm a good cook (ask my sisters, parents, etc). That doesn't help my family learn to be brave and try some non-traditional things...

I think, Shuli's point was just like you posted non-standard stuff and no one jumped down your throat. There was no reason for anyone to jump down Belle's.

My kids will sometimes try new things just because that's all there is, but I do try to follow KISS method so they don't starve.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#30 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

I know manischewitz says not for passover use, but this is mishpacha and says "chometz".

I was NOT responding to Shuli's post. I agreed with her. I was responding to Rachel's questioning re: my post re: not standard menus, where she thought I was speaking about her creativity.

#31 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

the key to all good food

bourekas qualify, but other stuff is standard (kishke, chulent and gefilte fish)

I forgot the oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal that I used came from the three leftover instant packets I had.
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#32 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Using instant packets for cookies - not bad.. What flavor were the packets (no allergies to oats?)

#33 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

maple and brown sugar, and cinnamon, no oat allergies bh.
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users