Making Aliyah Selfish?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 doron

doron

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hello all, I am an American considering making Aliyah with Nefesh B'Nefesh, but I have one question at the moment that's causing me a bit of stress. I'm concerned with the fact that I'm not sure if I want to spend the rest of my life in Israel. I know I want to spend at least six months at an Ulpan/Kibbutz learning Hebrew, I want to serve in the army for the full three years, and I'm also thinking about getting my master's at Hebrew University. But I'm unsure about the future, whether or not at some point I might return to the States, or where ever else for that matter. Do you think that's selfish, to make Aliyah through Nefesh with the possibility of leaving after 5-10 years? As I have said, nothing's for certain besides the army, but I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks for your time.

#2 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

Doron, everything we do in our lives is really selfish...I think as long as you are upfront about the uncertainty of your future, it isn't any more selfish than people using NBN to make regular aliyah :)

Best of luck with your future and decision!
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#3 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

He shouldn't do it.
Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

#4 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

If you haven't lived in Israel before, how do you know how you will react? As long as your decision is to really give Aliya a try, and to sincerely try to make it here, there is nothing dishonest about having vague plans for the future.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#5 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

Doesn't NBN have a minimum amount of time that you have to stay before the "loan" becomes a grant? As long as you in good faith stay the required time, I really don't see the issue. Also you say you plan to serve 3 years in the army, that sounds like you are "earning your keep" to me, even if you don't stay...
[/flirting]

#6 rvn2590

rvn2590

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hello all, I am an American considering making Aliyah with Nefesh B'Nefesh, but I have one question at the moment that's causing me a bit of stress. I'm concerned with the fact that I'm not sure if I want to spend the rest of my life in Israel. I know I want to spend at least six months at an Ulpan/Kibbutz learning Hebrew, I want to serve in the army for the full three years, and I'm also thinking about getting my master's at Hebrew University. But I'm unsure about the future, whether or not at some point I might return to the States, or where ever else for that matter. Do you think that's selfish, to make Aliyah through Nefesh with the possibility of leaving after 5-10 years? As I have said, nothing's for certain besides the army, but I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks for your time.

No. It's hard to say five years or ten years from now you may changing your mind about leaving Israel and decide to stay. Even if you can only grab a few years living in Israel, it would be worth it anyways. Selfish? You are willing to serve in the IDF and put your life at potential risk. You are a hero, not a selfish guy.
טובה הארץ מאד מאד

Rav Tal "The evil forces of the world are the leftists who act against sanctity."

#7 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

Doron, everything we do in our lives is really selfish...I think as long as you are upfront about the uncertainty of your future, it isn't any more selfish than people using NBN to make regular aliyah :)

Best of luck with your future and decision!

:stupid:
well said.
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#8 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

Obviously nobody knows what the future will bring, but you need to move with the intention of staying rather than with the thought in the back of your head that as soon as the going gets tough, you'll hightail it back to America.

If you're truly unsure if you want to make aliyah, then go to the army, go to school, but don't make aliyah officially until you're sure.

#9 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Doesn't NBN have a minimum amount of time that you have to stay before the "loan" becomes a grant?

Yes. It's three years.

Doron, come. For all we know you'll meet a girl who will want to stay. (It could happen the other way too, you'll want to stay but will meet a girl that wants to leave.)

Anyway, it's not dishonest if you're willing to give it a shot for 5 years. Even, K-Rebbe didn't revoke his American citizenship. And the possibility of an "emergency" fallback is always in the back of Olim's minds even if we don't admit it. Come!

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#10 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Under the circumstances you presented, Doron, I think you should go. You plan to stay for at least five to ten years. No one really knows they will stay in Israel forever when they make Aliyah. I think the fact that you intend to serve in the Army makes a difference too.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#11 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

Selfish? You are willing to serve in the IDF and put your life at potential risk. You are a hero, not a selfish guy.

:agree:
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#12 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Serving in the army will make you more comfortable in making a decision about staying. You should postpone all final decisions until then...

#13 EdfromNachlaot

EdfromNachlaot

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

Doron,

No one knows what will happen in 5 years. Don't worry about making Aliya now. You're not being selfish - you're being practical. If you planned on taking NBN money, staying in Israel for 1 year as a party, and then going back, that would be selfish.

#14 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

I wouldn't take NBN money. My grandfather gave me good advice: any money you take from Israel they will get back twicefold. The economy in Israel can be very challenging. I am in school in America in order to re-orient myself to the Israeli economy. I believe its important to keep all options open, especially considering all the Israelis who come to America for work-- hundreds of thousands if I am correct...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users