• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

How much is cell service in israel? It seems to be slightly more expensive than in the USA. Is it best to bring an unlocked gsm phone and just get the sim card in israel? don't you rent phones in israel if you don't bring one?
What company offers the best service? The coverage seems to be the same or similar for the providers.

How much is high speed home internet? Do you rent the cable modem? I assume it is best to bring your own wireless router from the USA.

Thanks

I saw older threads on this here but they're probably outdated as services and prices change.... From my limited understanding it seems that internet service keeps on improving in Israel (especially recently).
Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

#2 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

Re: Cell phone. If you want a kosher phone, the deals are much cheaper. Be more specific in the phone-package you are looking for.
Re: Internet service. Are you talking long-term, or short-term (visiting)?

Let me know exactly what you're looking for, and I'll try to help.
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#3 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

Re: Cell phone. If you want a kosher phone, the deals are much cheaper. Be more specific in the phone-package you are looking for.
Re: Internet service. Are you talking long-term, or short-term (visiting)?

Let me know exactly what you're looking for, and I'll try to help.

I'm making aliyah in less than a yr.

I want two phones (1 for me and for the wife) with basic features. We just want to be able to call each other. Texting, internet etc are not needed or wanted unless they come free.
The kosher phone is basic right? Do they have family plans which save money?

I am looking for long term internet. I prefer cable inter over dsl. had better results with cable internet....
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#4 qgh

qgh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

actually the prices for cell phone services have gone way down.
If you don't need to text or use internet , you can get the kosher plans which may be cheaper. (although text messages and internet are not too expensive today either)

You can get ADSL internet service from Bezeq or Cable from HOT. Prices are reasonable.

#5 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

actually the prices for cell phone services have gone way down.
If you don't need to text or use internet , you can get the kosher plans which may be cheaper. (although text messages and internet are not too expensive today either)

You can get ADSL internet service from Bezeq or Cable from HOT. Prices are reasonable.

what are typical cell prices for kosher phones?

what is a reasonable internet price?

I tried navigating the companies sites I find services offered but no prices.
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#6 qgh

qgh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

what are typical cell prices for kosher phones?

what is a reasonable internet price?

I tried navigating the companies sites I find services offered but no prices.

I don't have a kosher phone. MY phone is treif. (It can send SMS messages.) For the regular (non kosher services) you can get today 1200 minutes and 1200 text messages for 200 shekels. ($50-60). That may also include some internet services and you may be able to get a nice phone included with such a plan. You probably don't need so many minutes so you can probably get something cheaper but that should give you an idea for prices. Also kosher plans are cheaper.

For internet in Israel you need to sign up for an internet provider (Bezeq Intenrational or Netvision or Smile ... ) in addition to the telecom line (which would be Bezeq for ADSL or HOT for cable)
I havne't checked the latest internet prices but I think you can get internet for ~ 100 shekels a month. It depends on the speed you want.

#7 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

We got kosher phones just before the new law came into effect, so the prices are now old and you should be able to get something for even cheaper. We pay 35 nis per phone (nokia slide) and plan of 450 minutes to kosher phones, 450 minutes to land lines, and then each minute to a non-kosher phone costs 49 agurot. Unless we're out of the house, we make calls to non-kosher phones from our Bezeq line for something like 12.77 agurot a minute. We have a separate pay-as-you-go (big talk) cell phone to send/receive texts.

Right now we're paying 120 nis for half-decent internet. Depending on where you live, it isn't worth getting anything faster, since it probably won't actually by any faster. HOT cable isn't available in all areas.

Edited by Jennifer, 11 April 2011 - 12:22 PM.

#8 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

We use bezek leumi for our internet. I don't know if it's the best deal but it seems to work for us.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#9 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:43 AM

We got kosher phones just before the new law came into effect, so the prices are now old and you should be able to get something for even cheaper. We pay 35 nis per phone (nokia slide) and plan of 450 minutes to kosher phones, 450 minutes to land lines, and then each minute to a non-kosher phone costs 49 agurot. Unless we're out of the house, we make calls to non-kosher phones from our Bezeq line for something like 12.77 nis a minute. We have a separate pay-as-you-go (big talk) cell phone to send/receive texts.

Right now we're paying 120 nis for half-decent internet. Depending on where you live, it isn't worth getting anything faster, since it probably won't actually by any faster. HOT cable isn't available in all areas.

Wait.. what new law?!?!?
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#10 qgh

qgh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

Wait.. what new law?!?!?

New laws prohibit the cell phone companies to require you to sign a one year or 3 year contract. You can cancel your contract anytime you want and change companies.
However if you get the actual phone from them they can require you to pay monthly charge for the phone, if you don't use it for the required minutes. So basically if you get the phone from them you won't want to cancel your contract anyways.

#11 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

New laws prohibit the cell phone companies to require you to sign a one year or 3 year contract. You can cancel your contract anytime you want and change companies.
However if you get the actual phone from them they can require you to pay monthly charge for the phone, if you don't use it for the required minutes. So basically if you get the phone from them you won't want to cancel your contract anyways.

Woah!! Man oh man!! When did this law come out? I signed up for one of those 3 year plans (they rip you off on the phone for 36 months!)..
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#12 qgh

qgh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

Woah!! Man oh man!! When did this law come out? I signed up for one of those 3 year plans (they rip you off on the phone for 36 months!)..

These cell phone companies were getting a lot people upset. They would promise one thing and then when you get the bill you see something else. Now if you want to cancel your 3 year contract you can do so. The only catch as I said was that if they gave you a phone they will still charge you for that.

#13 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

These cell phone companies were getting a lot people upset. They would promise one thing and then when you get the bill you see something else. Now if you want to cancel your 3 year contract you can do so. The only catch as I said was that if they gave you a phone they will still charge you for that.

Yeah, I have crazy random charges. It's a 18 month service contract, 36 month phone contract. Claimed it would never be more then 35 shekel a month.. YEAH RIGHT
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#14 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Re Internet there are TWO things you need to pay for. First is the line (i.e. infrastructure.) and the second is the ISP. (See here: http://www.megavolt..../chooseISP.html )

In Israel today there are only two companies to get the line from.

ADSL - Bezeq
or
Cable - HOT
(Or you could get wireless Orange/Cellcom/Pelaphone but that's usually much more expensive.)

I have used both. Believe it or not in my experience it is FAR easier to deal with Bezeq. If you do use HOT realize it can be extremely difficult to cancel the service. (Many people have gone to court over this.) Regarding the actual technology unlike in the States I have gotten very satisfactory results with both ADSL and Cable.

However choosing the ISP is extremely important! This is because it is theorized that all ISPs perform some sort of throttling. See here: http://2jk.org/english/?p=153

In my experience (and I have heard others say this and I agree) the best ISP in Israel today is...

Orange.

Yes, orange. Most people don't know it, but Orange has begun providing landline ISP service. They are promoting VoIP Israeli phones (areacode 074) and are offering free internet (you still need to pay for bezeq or Hot) if you signup.

If you are looking for a homephone, and cellphone and Internet service it might be worthwhile to speak to Orange about getting all three as you may be able to get some sort of package.

Good Luck!

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#15 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Doesn't it also have something to do with lowered rates?

#16 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

anyone have a link or more info "kosher" cell phones/rates?

Could I use an unlocked global gsm phone with the kosher phone plans?
Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#17 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

anyone have a link or more info "kosher" cell phones/rates?

Could I use an unlocked global gsm phone with the kosher phone plans?

It wouldn't be kosher if it was posted on the internet. :o The plans change all the time, so the best bet is to call up the companies once you make aliyah.

Apparently the kosher sim card locks the phone into that sim card only.

#18 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

Also, be sure to ask the companies if they offer any Olim rates (some do, and others just make it up on the spot as it's worth it to them to gain a customer for life.)

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users