• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

I was thinking this while making pizza dough -sugar, water, yeast, oil, and basically thats it - so why not skip yeast and keep the rest?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#42 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

Supplies are cheap, flour+water+oven and fast, less than 18 min.

The flour isn't that cheap, being that it's shmurah m'shaas ketzirah, and it is cut and ground months before it is used, so proper storage facilities are necessary. The labor, which is the fast component, is very expensive. 20 2 lb. loaves of bread takes one baker a couple of minutes to shape and stick into an oven for a while, but 20 lbs. of shmurah matzah is about 100 matzos. That would require the labor of at least 8-10 people and approx. 15 minutes. The bakery baker can get paid minimum wage, whereas matzoh bakery employees can make upwards of $25-$50 hourly.
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#43 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Which brings me to another topic, why can't there be OTHER ingredients added in, like why can't it be water+sugar+flour in <18 min?

Sephardim allow this, Ashkenazim only allow matzah ashira, for the old and sick.

There are really great matza ashira cookies with a good sefardic hechsher, made with flour, wine, sugar and egg, baked within 18 minutes.
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#44 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

So, then to rephrase, why don't ashkenazim allow this?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#45 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

Sephardim allow this,

SOME sefardim. Those matza ashira cookies have been a hot topic of debate amongst sefardi poskim. Many have said they are chametz gamur!
[/flirting]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users