• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

The hub and I are planning a trip to Israel for a wedding, and we're interested in doing two stopovers in Europe on the way going and on the return, for 8 hrs - up to 24 hrs. The last time we did this, we stopped in Amsterdam for 10 and 12 hours respectively, and it was perfect. Airport is conveniently located, public transportation is great, and the city isn't so large as to make the time a pittance. Kosher food availability not necessary - we bring.

Which other cities would be good options for tourists with limited time? Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Madrid, Venice, something in the UK (not London), Rome, other?
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#2 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

A day and a night in Istanbul was great. Got in around noon. Left the next day at 10am. Had a great time walking around everywhere. Very interesting place.

Also had a great layover in London, but I guess you don't like London?
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#3 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

I've been to London almost more times than I can count. 'Almost know by now where the queen keeps her naughty knickers ;)

#4 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

I've been to London almost more times than I can count. 'Almost know by now where the queen keeps her naughty knickers ;)

:biggrin:

~My Blog~

#5 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

One stopover in Paris, or even both. You can definitely get the Eiffel Tower and some other touristy stuff done in a few hours.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#6 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Rome is magnificent, 30 minute train ride to the center of the city.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#7 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

One stopover in Paris, or even both. You can definitely get the Eiffel Tower and some other touristy stuff done in a few hours.

Of course, both stopovers would be in the same city. Is Paris worthwhile? The Eiffel Tower looks nice in photos, but really, is there a point to going to see it?

Rome is magnificent, 30 minute train ride to the center of the city.

What is there to do in Rome that can be covered in two days?

#8 int

int

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Where? where?

#9 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

What is there to do in Rome that can be covered in two days?

oh gosh

The colosseum
roman forum
spanish steps
piazza navona (which comes alive at night with carnivals and stuff)
piazza venezia
vatican city
expensive streets with the designer shops, fun to stroll through
!!!Jewish ghetto!!!! my favorite, great synagogue which is a must

Where? where?

who cares?? the queen is ancient!
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#10 International

International

Shtark

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Prague.
Geneva.
Uman, Ukraine?
Zurich.
Berlin.

#11 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Of course, both stopovers would be in the same city. Is Paris worthwhile? The Eiffel Tower looks nice in photos, but really, is there a point to going to see it?

It's a lot nicer in person, and going up is amazing. Just walking around is amazing. Of course, the main draw is the food, but I don't know what the kosher options are like.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#12 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

I almost cant imagine doing a city in such a quick amount of time..but I vote for Paris, since its such an amazing city.

#13 younglady

younglady

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Prague is a good stopover. The city itself is not too big and you can do most of it by foot. I think Barcelona and Venice are too big. Nothing to do in Zurich.
Love, commitment, and effort conquer almost all

#14 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Zurich is really nice, and the trains in Switzerland are excellent (duh).
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#15 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Prague is a good stopover. The city itself is not too big and you can do most of it by foot. I think Barcelona and Venice are too big. Nothing to do in Zurich.

Really? I found Venice to be small enough that it could be done in 2 days, including a visit to the Palace and a ferry ride.

#16 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

It's a lot nicer in person, and going up is amazing. Just walking around is amazing. Of course, the main draw is the food, but I don't know what the kosher options are like.

Paris it is!

There are actually quite a number of kosher restaurants in Paris, so it's nice, even though they lack that 'French Food' appeal that the non-kosher places have. At least it's available, and some places actually have good reviews.

#17 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

Paris it is!

There are actually quite a number of kosher restaurants in Paris, so it's nice, even though they lack that 'French Food' appeal that the non-kosher places have. At least it's available, and some places actually have good reviews.

there are really nice kosher restaurants there that serve French food. I hope you don't end up eating schwarma in Paris :biggrin: though of course a sit-down meal will "eat into" your stopover hours.

~My Blog~

#18 YBS

YBS

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

The hub and I are planning a trip to Israel for a wedding, and we're interested in doing two stopovers in Europe on the way going and on the return, for 8 hrs - up to 24 hrs. The last time we did this, we stopped in Amsterdam for 10 and 12 hours respectively, and it was perfect. Airport is conveniently located, public transportation is great, and the city isn't so large as to make the time a pittance. Kosher food availability not necessary - we bring.

Which other cities would be good options for tourists with limited time? Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Madrid, Venice, something in the UK (not London), Rome, other?

Paris, Venice, Rome, in no particular order. Not sure about Barcelona. Not so much Milan or Madrid.

If I was going, I would suggest Rome, and taking the open bus tour line for 20-22eur that will take you everywhere for 2 days, hop on - hop off, with excellent guided tours. Even though Rome needs weeks, not days, you will briefly cover most of the famous landmarks during this time. There are cheap, guided tours at the Colosseum/Roman Forum, etc. The second time you come, you will know which places you would like to revisit, and the public buses are unofficially free and easy to navigate. There is a whole block of kosher restaurants near the synagogue, which are reasonably priced, and their noodles are about as good as what we got in Brooklyn.(I don't think, they expect you to tip...)
One for all, all for one!

I don't agree! I'm just lazy to type.

#19 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

If I was going, I would suggest Rome, and taking the open bus tour line for 20-22eur that will take you everywhere for 2 days, hop on - hop off, with excellent guided tours. Even though Rome needs weeks, not days, you will briefly cover most of the famous landmarks during this time. There are cheap, guided tours at the Colosseum/Roman Forum, etc. The second time you come, you will know which places you would like to revisit, and the public buses are unofficially free and easy to navigate. There is a whole block of kosher restaurants near the synagogue, which are reasonably priced, and their noodles are about as good as what we got in Brooklyn.(I don't think, they expect you to tip...)

Open buses are generally good for any new city. You don't get the "real" feel, but it makes sure you take in all the important spots.

And in Europe, waiters are paid a living wage and don't rely on tips. That's why Americans get better service for repeat visits when habit takes over and a few Euro are left on the table ;)

#20 e_dmg

e_dmg

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Depends when you are coming...

Rome is ridiculously hot in the summer, but is a wonderful place to go
Barcelona is fantastic. Lively city with beaches
Geneva is nice in the summer but quieter
Paris is Paris
Dublin can be good if you avoid the stag do's

It really depends what you want to do, when you want to go and how long you are there for...ie if 8 hrs then you need somewhere with a very short transfer and you are just popping in for a coffee...24 hrs and you can do a bit more.

I live in London and have been to all of the above and more, so you can let me know and I can recommend.

Rome is seriously impressive....even if it's just for a gelato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users