• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

I'm hoping for a 3-day trip to DC. It'll be my first time, and my husband's too. My baby will be coming. She is 9 months old. What must I see, what can I skip, what should I not attempt with a baby? What about kosher food? Max's?

I read the Newseum is a must, and it looks pretty cool. I'd like a Botanic Garden trip too, to get some fresh air. Anything else?
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#2 rvn2590

rvn2590

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

I'm hoping for a 3-day trip to DC. It'll be my first time, and my husband's too. My baby will be coming. She is 9 months old. What must I see, what can I skip, what should I not attempt with a baby? What about kosher food? Max's?

I read the Newseum is a must, and it looks pretty cool. I'd like a Botanic Garden trip too, to get some fresh air. Anything else?

I like Max's. The same plaza that contain's Max's restaurant has a small kosher grocery store.
טובה הארץ מאד מאד

Rav Tal "The evil forces of the world are the leftists who act against sanctity."

#3 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

I grew up in DC. I never went to any of those places, except for Max's of course. We like their fried chicken and their burgers!

I like the National Zoo and go almost every year. The Smithsonian, specially if you've never been there; a la Fonzie's jacket, Archie Bunker's chair, the dress and china of the First Ladies, the Hope Diamond,etc. There is also a lot of Civil War history in Virginia, too - Thomas Jefferson, George Washington ....
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#4 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

There is also a lot of Civil War history in Virginia, too - Thomas Jefferson, George Washington ....

you mean Revolutionary War...

#5 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

We did Washington DC with a baby, I think also around that age 9-10m. I was great because everything was handicap-accessible so it was very stroller friendly.
The only museum with no strollers we did was the Spy Museum and the Mint. We went to various Smithsonian museums and outdoor monuments and national archives. Skip the mint I didn't not enjoy that. We also did an outdoor scavenger hunt with a GPS type device from the Spy Museum that was fun, and it was self-paced so you can explore the streets.
We ate out twice at Eli's in Dupont circle neighborhood. We found with the baby it was better to get there to eat early- less noise and less stress.

It was a perfect trip to do with a baby that age. He was happy in the stroller and crawled around on carpeted places.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#6 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

We did Washington DC with a baby, I think also around that age 9-10m. I was great because everything was handicap-accessible so it was very stroller friendly.
The only museum with no strollers we did was the Spy Museum and the Mint. We went to various Smithsonian museums and outdoor monuments and national archives. Skip the mint I didn't not enjoy that. We also did an outdoor scavenger hunt with a GPS type device from the Spy Museum that was fun, and it was self-paced so you can explore the streets.
We ate out twice at Eli's in Dupont circle neighborhood. We found with the baby it was better to get there to eat early- less noise and less stress.

It was a perfect trip to do with a baby that age. He was happy in the stroller and crawled around on carpeted places.

Oh thanks! Is Eli's Glatt? I tried finding out, but it didn't say so.

#7 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

Oh thanks! Is Eli's Glatt? I tried finding out, but it didn't say so.

When we went in summer 09 thats what our friends in Baltimore recommended. The website says it under The Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington

Edit: found our itinerary
Monday- Smithsonian museums
Tues- Fords theater, the spy museum and the national portrait gallery,
Weds -monuments and the Burro of printing and engraving and walked passed the White house.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#8 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

I second the spy museum.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#9 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

We went to the National Zoo recently and had a great time.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

#10 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

There's Eli's in Dupont Circle in DC, and a few other places in the suburbs. Max's is just a fast food joint. Unless you're staying in Silver Spring, I don't see why you'd want to go there.

Newseum is pretty cool if you're into news, but unlike most other DC museums, you have to pay admission. Obviously there are dozens of museums on the Mall within walking distance of each other, I don't know what you're into.

But staying around the Mall seems like a good idea as you have fresh air and nice views and water and all the sights right there.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#11 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

also check out the outdoor Korean War memorial. My favorite.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#12 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

I grew up in DC. I never went to any of those places, except for Max's of course. We like their fried chicken and their burgers!

Max's has the best onion rings I ever tasted in my life...

Belle, you could spend a whole trip in the Smithsonian - they have all the first ladies ballroom gowns, if you are into that sort of thing.

Also if you are into art and don't like crowds a good secret free tour is the Library of Congress. The entire building is one piece of magnificent artwork.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#13 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

We went for two days to DC 18 months ago. Stayed in a hotel near to Eli's, ate there and loved it; never ate at Max's. Found staff at the hotel surprisingly ignorant of Jewish/kosher ways of life particularly as we'd just left Brooklyn and had a huge load of food with us from Pomegranate for our breakfasts and lunches. The lady at the desk said "what's kosher?"

One thing to note. Day 1 we didn't take lunch with us so ended up going back early as we were starving. Day two we took food and discovered that every museum we went into wouldn't allow us to take food in; not even leave it in lockers at the entrance; no idea why. Except some really minor places that we really didn't want to go into anyway. So we ended up not being able to go into many of the buildings we wanted to.

Don't forget the Holocaust museum; truly awesome and unmissable.

Oh yes we loved the Botanical Gardens; and the wonderful Chocolate Talk around the Cocoa Tree explaining how chocolate is made.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#14 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

When we went in summer 09 thats what our friends in Baltimore recommended. The website says it under The Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington

Edit: found our itinerary
Monday- Smithsonian museums
Tues- Fords theater, the spy museum and the national portrait gallery,
Weds -monuments and the Burro of printing and engraving and walked passed the White house.

Thanks, jotting them down.

There's Eli's in Dupont Circle in DC, and a few other places in the suburbs. Max's is just a fast food joint. Unless you're staying in Silver Spring, I don't see why you'd want to go there.

Newseum is pretty cool if you're into news, but unlike most other DC museums, you have to pay admission. Obviously there are dozens of museums on the Mall within walking distance of each other, I don't know what you're into.

But staying around the Mall seems like a good idea as you have fresh air and nice views and water and all the sights right there.

Ok, thanks. I will definitely be at the Mall for a bit. I like museums but my husband doesn't, and I'll have baby with me, so I'm going to limit them. He loves news, so I'll definitely do the Newseum. Maybe the Smithsonian too.

Max's has the best onion rings I ever tasted in my life...

Belle, you could spend a whole trip in the Smithsonian - they have all the first ladies ballroom gowns, if you are into that sort of thing.

lol, not really. I'd love to go to the Smithsonian anyway, but not for the gowns :lol: The Postal museum sounds interesting, and the Air and Space for the husband.

Also if you are into art and don't like crowds a good secret free tour is the Library of Congress. The entire building is one piece of magnificent artwork.

Thanks, that sounds great! Is it a true library in the sense that I don't want to bring a baby along? Is it quiet?

We went for two days to DC 18 months ago. Stayed in a hotel near to Eli's, ate there and loved it; never ate at Max's. Found staff at the hotel surprisingly ignorant of Jewish/kosher ways of life particularly as we'd just left Brooklyn and had a huge load of food with us from Pomegranate for our breakfasts and lunches. The lady at the desk said "what's kosher?"

One thing to note. Day 1 we didn't take lunch with us so ended up going back early as we were starving. Day two we took food and discovered that every museum we went into wouldn't allow us to take food in; not even leave it in lockers at the entrance; no idea why. Except some really minor places that we really didn't want to go into anyway. So we ended up not being able to go into many of the buildings we wanted to.

Don't forget the Holocaust museum; truly awesome and unmissable.

Oh yes we loved the Botanical Gardens; and the wonderful Chocolate Talk around the Cocoa Tree explaining how chocolate is made.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe we'll take sandwiches along and spend the first half of the day in areas where we can take food, and after lunch head to museums. I don't want to see the Holocaust museum, but definitely putting the botanical gardens on my list (and i'd love the chocolate talk, so i'll follow up on that.)

#15 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

Thanks, that sounds great! Is it a true library in the sense that I don't want to bring a baby along? Is it quiet?

I guess the reading rooms are but we didn't spend much time there.

Here's the link: http://www.loc.gov/visit/tours/

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#16 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

I second the spy museum.

It's not for little kids

ETA: I think there's a new restaurant in the DC JCC

#17 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

http://www.distriktb...o.com/index.php

thanks PD

#18 BroadwayFreak

BroadwayFreak

It's garden season!

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

I think you should come to one of the Baltimore restaurants - I'd love to meet you!
"Evereything in moderation (except beer)."
-Cholentpot

#19 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

I think you should come to one of the Baltimore restaurants - I'd love to meet you!

:biggrin: Not a bad idea. Maybe when we pass through. When I have more definite plans, I"ll post about it!

#20 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

the Burro of printing and engraving

does he live in the national zoo? :p
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users