• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 towerofbabble

towerofbabble

Masmid

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

What is wrong with insider trading? Why is it illegal?

How does it adversely effect anyone?

What are the parameters?

Does anyone know of any good recourses to learn about insider trading? Any good books?
Some Kabbalistic mystics provide intriguing and unusual descriptions of the Tower of Babel. According to Menachem Tsioni, an Italian Torah commentator of 15th century, the Tower was a functional flying craft, empowered by some powerful magic or technology; the device was originally intended for holy purposes, but was later misused in order to gain control over the whole world. Isaac of Acre wrote that the Tower builders had reached, or at least planned to reach the distance of 2,360,000,000 parsas or 9-10 billion kilometers above the Earth surface, which is about the radius of the Solar System, including most Trans-Neptunian objects. Similar accounts are also found in the writing of Jonathan Eybeschutz and the ancient book Brith Menuchah, according to which the builders of the Tower planned to equip it with some shield technology ("shielding wings") and powerful weapons. Many Kabbalists believed that the ancient peoples possessed magic knowledge of the Nephilim, which allowed them to construct such powerful devices. Moreover, according to some commentaries, some Talmudic sages possessed a manual for building such a flying tower.
According to another mysterious Kabbalistic account, one third of the Tower builders were punished by being transformed into semi-demonic creatures and banished into three parallel dimensions, inhabited now by their descendants.

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:45 AM

http://en.wikipedia....Insider_trading

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Just about everything is wrong with it. You are taking information that the public doesn't have profiting off of the information and hurting everyone else in the process (if you're selling shares). Martha Stewart is a good case study.
Blessed be all

#4 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Just about everything is wrong with it. You are taking information that the public doesn't have profiting off of the information and hurting everyone else in the process (if you're selling shares). Martha Stewart is a good case study.

Exactly. The market is already biased against the little guy. It becomes nearly a ponzi scheme because most companies pay out nothing or almost nothing in dividends. I understand the BS philosophy that "we are a blue chip company investing in growth" but when does that growth period end? Even when they are closing stores they are still "investing in growth" which means their "preferred share holders" and their president and CEO get $500,000 a year (or make that 5 million) and the small investors gets a 0% dividend on their investment. Oi Vey what a deal!

So I really only trust income based stocks with high dividends for a buy and hold. Other stocks I would just day trade them on the market roller coaster and profit the difference. Otherwise the whole market is basically a rip off in my opinion. You basically only see profits because new people are putting their money into it- can anybody say ponzi. I think the recent crash a few years ago showed what happens to ponzi schemes.

Though it serves an economic purpose of expanding and contracting the money supply as necessary. I almost wonder if the whole market isn't manipulated in some way and an extension of the central banks. Probably is. But I'm not supposed to know that.

I also caught scottrade ripping me off during trades (selling for less than market, buying for more than market and presumably profiting the difference- which they deny).

I believe that insider trading is legal in some places like Greece. Since its a member of the EU people can park their base of operations there and get away with some things they couldn't. Please consult an actual lawyer first though rather than hold me responsible for advise.

#5 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

33948, why are you so obsessed with money?
וזה עקר צער של ישראל שיש להם בגלות
הכל הוא מחמת שנפלו מהדעת ותולין
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

#6 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

33948, why are you so obsessed with money?

because money is the root of all trolls.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#7 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

because money is the root of all trolls.

Poverty.

Yet really I don't think this is an obsession either. If I were rich I would reply about insider trading because, well, the stock market and investing is one interest I have and one subject I have some knowledge about. I'm not going to have much to say about something about an ivy league school for example.

Why would I be accused of being a troll?

It's interesting that I didn't start the thread, but reply to it. I'm obsessed with it, but the person who starts it isn't lol

I haven't found much in terms of forums about money and investments other than scams and a bunch of people uninterested in educating themselves.

#8 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

Why would I be accused of being a troll?

Who else cares about posting on a forum that has met it's demise?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#9 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

Who else cares about posting on a forum that has met it's demise?

I don't quite follow. This is a good forum. I find it rather strange actually. Internet is a great networking resource and information resource but most people don't really use it to it's full potential.

The majority of people online are simply going on myspace or something. Rather I find forums which people can LEARN something useful or network with useful people for real world projects have such great potential. Yet honestly there isn't much going on in the world of forums, business networks etc. online.

I understand the problem that many people don't want to deal with idiots from public etc. but actually it has great potential when used properly.

I go and search for new forums to post on where I can meet different people, learn different things etc.

It's very efficient for me. Such as if I wanted to schedule a time to meet someone face to face its difficult to do because of schedule constraints and such. The internet and forums is a more practical way to discuss, debate etc.

#10 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

What is wrong with insider trading? Why is it illegal?

How does it adversely effect anyone?

What are the parameters?

Does anyone know of any good recourses to learn about insider trading? Any good books?

In my view, nothing. Its victimless in the sense that once information is out, everyone would have to react anyways.

Bet Chesed, profit is not a dirty word.

33948, read up on what Carl Icahan says about corporate governance. He HATES whats going on today, and he is rich enough to be a majority investor much of the time.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#11 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

In my view, nothing. Its victimless in the sense that once information is out, everyone would have to react anyways.

Bet Chesed, profit is not a dirty word.

33948, read up on what Carl Icahan says about corporate governance. He HATES whats going on today, and he is rich enough to be a majority investor much of the time.

Yes interesting. I have observed the same things that Carl Icahn writes about. I noticed that status and job placement are more related to social status (resulting from one's friends, family etc.) rather than competence. Because I have no community, family or referances to back me up I crawl at the bottom of society making minimal wage. Meanwhile I have met many "big whigs" and people at the top of the pyramid who are lazy imbeciles pulling in six figure salaries.

I would definately say that the culture of competence (where hard work and ability got one ahead) is what made America so prosperous and now that culture is mostly dead, whether it be from preferance for less qualified minorities or familial/friend/fraternity favoritism. It seems like everything BUT competence gets you hired.

I believe there is a LOT of money to be made by someone who is both competent and also has the resources and know how. A lot of people running companies are living a very good lifestyle but completely incompetent and lazy. Meanwhile the workers who often actually earn the money get paid next to nothing (though in a lot of cases these workers are also borderline retarded).

Yet going back to what Carl Icahn writes it seems like there is a culture of entitlement for the wealthy. If they fail at their job, too lazy to show up to work half the time and run the company into bankruptsy they expect (and usually get) big retention bonuses. All because their parents could afford to send them to a good college or else they have the right "connections" to achieve this level of social status.

Every company I work for always tells me that the president, managers etc. started off bagging groceries or flipping burgers, which is a total lie. They don't promote people based on comptennce or work ethic. The people at the top start out on the top. I believe this is the driving force for lowered competitiveness in the US job market and business leadership right now.

It seems like the presidents are also selected this way. We have Prez Bush who seems incapable of reading a teleprompter correctly, but who is at the top of the pyramid despite never showing up to work and never accomplishing anything on his own his whole life (other than getting elected). Now we have Obama whose test scores are apparently so low they actually hid them from the public, who with no experience, never having a real job and basically no accomplishments under his belt apparently is the creme' of the crop of the nation.

It reminds me a bit of pre-revolutionary France and the lazy incompetent royal court of the time. Off with their heads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users