• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

For an appetizer for shavous, since I am not limited to fish, I would like to do the following.

3 or 4 different wraps (white flour, yellow corn, spinach, orange) and slice in small slices for people to select from. I think it will look pretty on the serving platter.

I think one will be a spinach or avocado wrap (not in spinach wrap, obviously) - check
One will be tuna or egg salad - check

QUESTION #1:One will be grilled vegetable wrap. But, can I grill vegetables in my oven (no bbq grill)? How? What type? What dressing? Can I just use thousand island?

QUESTION #2: Can I also do turkey wrap or does that not match my theme?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#2 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

No, you may not.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#3 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

QUESTION #1:One will be grilled vegetable wrap. But, can I grill vegetables in my oven (no bbq grill)? How? What type? What dressing? Can I just use thousand island?

You can make roasted vegetables, not grilled. And I dont see thousand island working- you need more of an Italian dressing in my opinion.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#4 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

You can make roasted vegetables, not grilled. And I dont see thousand island working- you need more of an Italian dressing in my opinion.

Ok. I'm very bad with visions. I need help. So what veggies? Do I buy or make the dressing? If buy, Italian? If make, what type?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#5 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

Also, make something else for the men to eat. If you feed your husband too many wraps, he may be tempted to run off with the pool boy.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#6 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

Whenever I've done grilled vegetables- do you have a broiler setting on your oven? If so, use that- I've made a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic & pepper (feel free to add/subtract spices). Then I usually choose zucchini, peppers & mushrooms b/c that's pretty much what I like but you can do sweet potato, eggplant etc. You put the vegetables in the marinade (you could probably marinate it, but I just dump in and take right out), put them on a cookie sheet, stick it under the broiler and keep it in for a couple minutes. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this is a pretty easy one.
A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#7 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

Also, make something else for the men to eat. If you feed your husband too many wraps, he may be tempted to run off with the pool boy.

This is just for the appetizer. Now I'm debating with bruschetta or doing both. I'm getting excited.

Whenever I've done grilled vegetables- do you have a broiler setting on your oven? If so, use that- I've made a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic & pepper (feel free to add/subtract spices). Then I usually choose zucchini, peppers & mushrooms b/c that's pretty much what I like but you can do sweet potato, eggplant etc. You put the vegetables in the marinade (you could probably marinate it, but I just dump in and take right out), put them on a cookie sheet, stick it under the broiler and keep it in for a couple minutes. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this is a pretty easy one.

Ok. Thanks. Dressing?

#8 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Yomtov means fish and meat. Red meat.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

#9 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Red meat = the roast for the main, which was a fortune.

#10 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Ok. Thanks. Dressing?

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#11 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

I meant for the wrap, not the marinade, sorry.

#12 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

:rofl: Sweet!
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#13 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

What did I miss?

#14 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

I bought roasts on sale for $5.99 a lb. They were so cheap I bought three.

#15 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I meant for the wrap, not the marinade, sorry.

That, I don't know. I was thinking of saying you don't really need one since the vegetables will have their own 'sauce', but I'm not sure I'm right.

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#16 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

I bought roasts on sale for $5.99 a lb. They were so cheap I bought three.

My freezer is so stuffed right now.

#17 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

i wasn't offering you one anyway.

#18 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

For me to buy my own on sale :(

#19 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

That sale is over.

#20 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Well maybe by the next one, my freezer space will have enough for the sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users