Name That Food

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

So, I'm bored, and this is my idea of fun. We'll see if it takes off. Feel free to post photos to stump people, but make sure what you post is unambiguous (so ingredients are a better bet than composed dishes). No cheating!

I'll start things off easy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#3 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

The first is tamotillo.

Yes it is. :)

I saw the second one this week at Whole Foods but there was no tag and I wondered what it is. No clue.

Hint: these are only in season for a very short time, in spring. :)

Third is rosemary? They seem similar, but these look 'shorter'.

Close. :)

#4 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Third is rosemary? They seem similar, but these look 'shorter'.

Close. :)

Thyme?

#5 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#6 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Thyme?

:thumbsup:

#7 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

#8 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Ooooh, good one! Are they arubutus berries?

#9 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

#10 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Shavy - your middle one looks like a weird radish, but it's probably not.

CS - yours is SO CLOSE to being a lychee, but something is off.

#11 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

CS - yours is SO CLOSE to being a lychee, but something is off.

that was my thought, too.

#12 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

ramps - i have two bunches in my fridge. i always get them in the csa but don't know what to do with them.

#13 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

ramps - i have two bunches in my fridge. i always get them in the csa but don't know what to do with them.

:thumbsup:

#14 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

#15 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

The color/shape seems off to me as well, as lychees are usually more pink and oval shaped, but it looks very similar.

It could theoretically be a lychee, if the saturation of the photo was upped, and the angle was such that the bottom of the fruit pointed away from the camera. If it's not an odd pic of a lychee, or an arubutus (strawberry tree) berry, I'm stumped.

#16 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

It could theoretically be a lychee, if the saturation of the photo was upped, and the angle was such that the bottom of the fruit pointed away from the camera. If it's not an odd pic of a lychee, or an arubutus (strawberry tree) berry, I'm stumped.

the stem doesn't look like a lychee stem though - lychee stems are closer to just apple stems, you know? This is almost like a palm-tree shaped stem

the stem doesn't look like a lychee stem though - lychee stems are closer to just apple stems, you know? This is almost like a palm-tree shaped stem

or maybe not ....

#17 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

Posted Image

This is my herb garden - had to put my beer ice bucket to use .... 5 herbs. 4 in the circumference and one center.

#18 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

While we wait for CS to weigh in, here's another one:

Posted Image

This is my herb garden - had to put my beer ice bucket to use .... 5 herbs. 4 in the circumference and one center.

Looks great, raze! (I know what you planted, so I won't guess. :) )

#19 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

While we wait for CS to weigh in, here's another one:

Posted Image

dragonfruit - yum!!!!!
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#20 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

Clockwise from top right: mint, thyme, sage and rosemary.

I only see a tiny pic on my phone, so I'm excused if I'm way off.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users