Photo

Is there a way to speed up the aliyah process?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gesher Tzar Me'od

Gesher Tzar Me'od

Hocker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

After waiting many many years to make Aliyah, I'm finally in a situation where I can do it, but by looking at the nefesh b'nefesh website, I found out that the whole process is supposed to be taking 6 to 8 months, and I'd rather just leave by the end of August really.

Is there any way to speed it up, or do I really have to wait that long?

#2 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

It doesn't take that long. Once you submit the paper work it takes 2 months or less to be approved. I thought the same thing (6 -8 months) when I started the process but it is going to be much less than that. If you expect to leave by the end of August you need to submit the application asap if you haven;t already. Maybe we'll be on the same El AL flight at the end of August. :-) Good luck.

After waiting many many years to make Aliyah, I'm finally in a situation where I can do it, but by looking at the nefesh b'nefesh website, I found out that the whole process is supposed to be taking 6 to 8 months, and I'd rather just leave by the end of August really.

Is there any way to speed it up, or do I really have to wait that long?

Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

#3 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Is there any way to speed up the aliyah process?

how much bribe money do you have?
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#4 Gesher Tzar Me'od

Gesher Tzar Me'od

Hocker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

Ok, thanks for that. That was reassuring.

Well I need to renew my passport, so that pretty much makes it impossible to make aliyah by the end of August, but at least Ill be looking for September or October at the latest, and not December to February.

It'll give me time to become more fluent in Hebrew anyway

#5 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

You could get the passport renewal expedited for a fee to cut the wait time in half. With that in mind you should be able to make aliyah by Sept.

Ok, thanks for that. That was reassuring.

Well I need to renew my passport, so that pretty much makes it impossible to make aliyah by the end of August, but at least Ill be looking for September or October at the latest, and not December to February.

It'll give me time to become more fluent in Hebrew anyway

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#6 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

We did it start to finish in 5 weeks. We did have current passports though. We really, really hussled our tuchases though.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#7 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Wow HD! it's taken us months and months!

#8 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

The longest things have been waiting for the passports... Other than that I heard from NBN and the Jewish agency fairly quickly.

Wow HD! it's taken us months and months!

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#9 Gesher Tzar Me'od

Gesher Tzar Me'od

Hocker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Wow 5 weeks? that's impressive. was that through NBN?

As for passport renewal, it looks like it's gonna take 20 days at most, so I guess it's not the end of the world but yeah I'll look into expediting it.

#10 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

Wow 5 weeks? that's impressive. was that through NBN?

Yes we made aliya through nbn, but it took a lot of begging. Tears helped. So did more begging. And did I mention the tears and the begging?
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.

Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box

#11 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Mine only took a few weeks (this was before NBN tho) but I didn't bring anything or really need anything from them so it went quickly....
[/flirting]

#12 Gesher Tzar Me'od

Gesher Tzar Me'od

Hocker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

I am down with begging, but I am not sure about the tears. Either way mid-September sounds perfectly fine with me. Especially not living through another winter (and no, there's no such thing as an actual winter in Israel. Maybe a slightly cold autumn, that's about it.)

Also, Kal. Rebbe, do you still live in a yishuv? I wanna ask a few questions about them, I am wondering if I should start a separate topic.

#13 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

Just one thing to remember- the whole country pretty much closes own during the chagim until after succot. Any paperwork you need done will be a b!@#$ and a half to do in late September/October

#14 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Why begging & tears?

Yes we made aliya through nbn, but it took a lot of begging. Tears helped. So did more begging. And did I mention the tears and the begging?

How long did it take for the lift to get there?

We did it start to finish in 5 weeks. We did have current passports though. We really, really hussled our tuchases though.

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#15 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Why begging & tears?

How long did it take for the lift to get there?

Begging to get on to the flight, to get a grant, to rush through paperwork. Breaking down in the office into major tears because it looked like we would not get our VISAs in time.

Our life left 3 days before we did and got here 7 weeks later- but there was (as usual) a port strike so our stuff took a detour to Turkey.

#16 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

That sounds like a very trying experience to say the least.

Did you go on a group flight with NBN or an individual EL AL flight?

Begging to get on to the flight, to get a grant, to rush through paperwork. Breaking down in the office into major tears because it looked like we would not get our VISAs in time.

Our life left 3 days before we did and got here 7 weeks later- but there was (as usual) a port strike so our stuff took a detour to Turkey.

Made aliyah 08/2011
Imma doesn't let...

#17 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

I never knew that you could send your tuchas separately. Live and learn.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#18 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I never knew that you could send your tuchas separately. Live and learn.

That's ALL many people send :bigcry:
[/flirting]

#19 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

That's ALL many people send :bigcry:

It used to be a good idea to leave your tuchas back in the US. Luckily, now soft toilet paper is available here.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#20 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

It used to be a good idea to leave your tuchas back in the US. Luckily, now soft toilet paper is available here.

And toilet seat Bidets!!!! :wub:
[/flirting]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users