• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv

Gabbai

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

I think putting full disclosure of health risks and ingredients on the package is a good legal policy to ensure that people can make an informed choice, but with the pictures, it seems that the FDA is now going beyond ideal legal duty by pushing personal morality onto people. Legal adults, after being given all the facts, should have a personal right to then choose to harm themselves, in my opinion. Of course, second hand smoke should be legally controlled, since that affects other people, like children in homes and cars, people in the work place and in public places, etc.

Also, I am curious to know why the FDA is not equally critical of alcohol companies, which puts tons of ads on television, magazines, public property, etc. Why not have pictures of diseased livers on Budweiser cans and on bottles of acetaminophen? I am curious to know the political reasons as to why tobacco companies are uniquely targeted, while other equally dangerous products are ignored. Both alcohol and tobacco are historically ingrained into our culture.

http://www.ny1.com/c...cigarette-packs

12:23 PM
FDA Unveils Graphic Warning Labels On Cigarette Packs
By: Kafi Drexel

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration unveiled Tuesday several new graphic warning labels that will now appear on cigarette packs to discourage current and potential smokers from lighting up.

By the fall of 2012, attention-grabbing images like rotting gums and teeth and corpses on slabs will be on all cigarette packs and ads throughout the country.

[ . . . ]

Full text at http://www.ny1.com/c...cigarette-packs
Sometimes I wonder why some elites work so hard in an unethical manner to gain wealth and power: they can't take any of their wealth and power with them when they die. Philosophically looking at it, if there is a G-d, they will have an eternity of suffering to pay for their crimes against humanity. And if there is no G-d, then once they die, they will have no memories and conscious awareness of their success in life because their consciousness and memories are lost for eternity, becoming nothing more than dirt in the ground. So, these elites in the end lose either way. The 100 years of life living like a king is just a drop of water in the infinite ocean of time that they will experience suffering at the hands of G-d, or not experience in a state of non-existence.

#2 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

What good are these pictures going to do? Everybody knows that smoking is bad for them at this point.
Blessed be all

#3 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Why not have pictures of diseased livers on Budweiser cans and on bottles of acetaminophen?

i can't speak to alcohol, because the line is more blurred, there, but the acetaminophen comparison is specious; tobacco causes diseased lungs, gums, and teeth when used as specified, while acetaminophen will not harm your liver if used properly.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#4 Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv

Gabbai

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

but the acetaminophen comparison is specious; tobacco causes diseased lungs, gums, and teeth when used as specified, while acetaminophen will not harm your liver if used properly.

Acetaminophen damages the liver: http://www.hashkafah..._1#entry1512816
Sometimes I wonder why some elites work so hard in an unethical manner to gain wealth and power: they can't take any of their wealth and power with them when they die. Philosophically looking at it, if there is a G-d, they will have an eternity of suffering to pay for their crimes against humanity. And if there is no G-d, then once they die, they will have no memories and conscious awareness of their success in life because their consciousness and memories are lost for eternity, becoming nothing more than dirt in the ground. So, these elites in the end lose either way. The 100 years of life living like a king is just a drop of water in the infinite ocean of time that they will experience suffering at the hands of G-d, or not experience in a state of non-existence.

#5 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

I demand pictures of fetuses before abortions.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#6 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Now you're just messing with a woman's right to choose...
Shame on you, misogynist!
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#7 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

If they really want people to stop smoking, they'll put a nekked pic of KR on every pack...
[/flirting]

#8 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

If they really want people to stop smoking, they'll put a nekked pic of KR on every pack...

That would stop people from eating.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#9 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

heehee :biggrin:
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#10 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

That would stop people from eating.

Which is good because they will now have increased appetites from quitting smoking!!!
[/flirting]

#11 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

The government should really stop pretending they want people to quit smoking. They love the dollars they get from taxing smokers....the country might just collapse if every smoker quit. This campaign is gross and I predict it will have little if any effect.
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#12 YBS

YBS

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

after
One for all, all for one!

I don't agree! I'm just lazy to type.

#13 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

after

I meant, before abortions, I demand pictures of foetuses. (Note the old-school spelling.) (And the hyphen in old-school.)
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#14 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

The government should really stop pretending they want people to quit smoking. They love the dollars they get from taxing smokers....the country might just collapse if every smoker quit. This campaign is gross and I predict it will have little if any effect.

Absolutely true. If the government really wanted people to quit they would make cigarettes illegal - just like other other substances. The government loves to get the political benefit of pretending they care about people's health while raking in the tax dollars from sin taxes.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#15 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

Absolutely true. If the government really wanted people to quit they would make cigarettes illegal - just like other other substances. The government loves to get the political benefit of pretending they care about people's health while raking in the tax dollars from sin taxes.

Yeah cuz the war on drugs and prohibition has worked SO well...
[/flirting]

#16 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

Yeah cuz the war on drugs and prohibition has worked SO well...

Well prohibition was an unmitigated disaster, but I am certain that fewer people would smoke if cigarettes were illegal. There are people who would quit once they would have to pay some shady looking guy on a street corner in a bad neighborhood for a pack rather than picking it up at the convenience store.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#17 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Well prohibition was an unmitigated disaster, but I am certain that fewer people would smoke if cigarettes were illegal. There are people who would quit once they would have to pay some shady looking guy on a street corner in a bad neighborhood for a pack rather than picking it up at the convenience store.

And then there are those who would do it anyway. Cue the turf wars, and bodies on the streets.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#18 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

I don't think that's strictly true. Sure the government likes taxes, but even without the tax factor they wouldn't be able to just pull the plug on a billion dollar industry overnight. Doing it this way preserves some kind of options for the tobacco industry, while supposedly cutting down on smoking.

#19 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

This really has me puzzled as well and I thought about it a lot. Seems some kind of conspiracy theory is there. If people knew what was in the food- almost everything we consume is bad for us. Why is tobacco uniquely targeted? Must be good for us if the government doesn't want us doing it- would be my thinking lol

I can only think that smoking is associated with freedom and rebellion and we are entering a new world order of mentally enslaved zombie citizens.

#20 Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate

Gabbai

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

If you collect all 9 pictures, you can mail them in and...?
The danger of ancient liberty was that men, exclusively concerned with securing their share of social power, might attach too little value to individual rights and enjoyments. The danger of modern liberty is that, absorbed in the enjoyment of our private independence, and in the pursuit of our particular interests, we should surrender our right to share in political power too easily. The holders of authority are only too anxious to encourage us to do so. They are so ready to spare us all sort of troubles, except those of obeying and paying! They will say to us: what, in the end, is the aim of your efforts, the motive of your labours, the object of all your hopes? Is it not happiness? Well, leave this happiness to us and we shall give it to you. No, Sirs, we must not leave it to them. No matter how touching such a tender commitment may be, let us ask the authorities to keep within their limits. Let them confine themselves to being just. We shall assume the responsibility of being happy for ourselves.
-Benjamin Constant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users