• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

It looks like only Kutscher's is really still in business. ETA: Raleigh also offers catering with Babad hashgacha.

The Nevele seems to not be kosher year-round.

I heard something about a Hyatt catered by Glatt Boys but the rates on their website are for Pesach 2006 and they don't pick up the phone.

What other options are there in the area with kosher food on premises?

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#2 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

I heard something about a Hyatt catered by Glatt Boys but the rates on their website are for Pesach 2006 and they don't pick up the phone.

sorry, but :lol:

I don't know about any options for catered places in the mountains, sorry.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#3 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Doesn't FreshDirect deliver to the catskills (or is that the hamptons?). Maybe you could have food delivered and go with a non-frummy hotel option?

#4 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Doesn't FreshDirect deliver to the catskills (or is that the hamptons?). Maybe you could have food delivered and go with a non-frummy hotel option?

That's definitely the Hamptons that gets FreshDirect. The research so far been a huge exercise in overpriced mediocrity, mediocrity being a generous term for what I'm seeing, so I think we're going to scrap the idea.

All I see for hotels in the Monticello area that have a pool are Days Inn on the side of the highway type stuff, not worth the effort and money.

Blog-o-rama

#5 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

I don't know if this is applicable for your situation, but often, when I go to conferences, I have food sent from Maadan in Teaneck. They will pack it with icepacks (for a charge) and send to the hotel. So you would need a hotel with a fridge in the room. I have no problem eating cold food for the duration, so I always order things that don't really need to be warmed. They will also send wine for kiddush if needed. It has made my professional life somewhat easier.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#6 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'm shocked. So you mean the Homowack and all those hotels aren't kosher anymore?
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#7 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

There are a number of frummy options. If that's your thing.
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#8 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'm shocked. So you mean the Homowack and all those hotels aren't kosher anymore?

The Nevele no longer has in-house kosher catering year-round and I believe Homowack also doesn't. The 'wack was most recently called Spring Mountain Resort, I think. My family used to go to these places regularly when I was very young, so the scene has deteriorated a lot over the last 25 years or so. As I mentioned above, Kutscher's and The Raleigh still have in-house glatt catering but I hear they are pretty decrepit places at this point.

Since this is going to be forever Googlable, I'll throw in that the Hilton Westchester Rye Brook can accommodate kosher guests and would probably be decent (they were unfortunately fully booked when we'd like to go). Meals can be delivered there from a local Supersol and heated up in the kitchen. I even spoke with a chef there who said he would make sure everything went smoothly with the food if we came.

There are a number of frummy options. If that's your thing.

Hotels w/pools, as opposed to bungalows? They serve food? I have serious pool needs right now.

I don't know if this is applicable for your situation, but often, when I go to conferences, I have food sent from Maadan in Teaneck. They will pack it with icepacks (for a charge) and send to the hotel. So you would need a hotel with a fridge in the room. I have no problem eating cold food for the duration, so I always order things that don't really need to be warmed. They will also send wine for kiddush if needed. It has made my professional life somewhat easier.

Thanks, good to file this away in my memory. Google loves ya.

(How many times have you searched for something you'd like to know, and Google returns you the hashkafah thread you started on the same topic a few hours earlier? This has happened to me on several occasions. :unsure:)

Blog-o-rama

#9 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

I don't think the Nevele has been Kosher for a long time. It was only Kosher style.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#10 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

The Nevele no longer has in-house kosher catering year-round and I believe Homowack also doesn't. The 'wack was most recently called Spring Mountain Resort, I think. My family used to go to these places regularly when I was very young, so the scene has deteriorated a lot over the last 25 years or so.

We only went to the 'wack once, and my (now) 28 yr old daughter was standing but not walking at that time so she must have been about 1 yr old or less. My memory of the Shabbos we spent there was how rigidly they kept kids away from adults. Kids were not allowed to eat at their parents' tables on Shabbos; they were fed in the "nursery" before the adults ate and then kept in "prison"..what I nicknamed the creche with a barred gate, at which my baby stood holding onto the bars and howling whenever I left her, and her 3 yr old sister was frogmarched around the campus on forced activities. We once went for a stroll and saw her marching along in the opposite direction, and the desperate look in her eyes as they met mine will stay in my mind forever.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#11 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

http://www.frumvacat....com/index.html
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

#12 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

http://www.frumvacat....com/index.html

http://www.frumvacations.com/89.html

Thanks but these are the places I'd already found, as I said it's slim pickins if you're looking for an actual hotel or resort, it seems.

Blog-o-rama

#13 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hotels w/pools, as opposed to bungalows? They serve food? I have serious pool needs right now.

I've seen this place in Monroe advertized in the local frummy paper
http://www.reserveko...meals-1484.html

They do have an indoor pool and do meals, but its monroe which I don't think is your crowd....
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#14 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

I grew up going to the homowack and La Vista (?)

#15 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've seen this place in Monroe advertized in the local frummy paper
http://www.reserveko...meals-1484.html

They do have an indoor pool and do meals, but its monroe which I don't think is your crowd....

It actually sounds amazing, I could even show up dressed like:

Whom we rent to?
  • חרדים
...but things might deteriorate poolside. :(

Blog-o-rama

#16 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

http://www.frumvacations.com/89.html

Thanks but these are the places I'd already found, as I said it's slim pickins if you're looking for an actual hotel or resort, it seems.

Relax Inn, and there's one next to Alladin in Woodbourne I forgot what It's called, and another non frumy one in White Lake I think.

#17 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm sorry. I thought I was being helpful

#18 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm sorry. I thought I was being helpful

I appreciated the effort, just reiterating there's not much out there as I suspected.

Blog-o-rama

#19 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

It's a shame. There certainly are ample Jews who want a little fun.

#20 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

bats, we went to Hudson Valley Resort for a Shabbaton a few summers back and they mentioned they very often have Kosher catering in the summer, especially for Shabbos. Maybe call them to find out?

There are also options to biggyback onto a camp with vacation home style places that connect to a camp. But those are not hotels either.

I know Camp Malka and another camp has this that I recently saw advertised, but they don't come up online. Dumb camps.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users