• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:03 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm currently finishing my thesis on the left wing/marxist zionist party "Poalei Zion" and their standing within the German Zionist Community between 1918 and 1934. Unlike in Eastern Europe or Russia left wing Zionism was a comparatively small branch in the zionist community in Germany - Poalei Zion only counted around 500 members.
Most members of the rather mainstream zionist branch, like the ZVfD(Zionistische Vereinigung für Deutschland) stemmed from rather assimilated and often times well situated families and could therefore not relate to the radical marxist rhetoric of "Poalei Zion" and others.
Inspite of this clear evidence I have trouble finding sources which document the rejection and the dislike of the mainstream zionist groups like ZVfD towards the Poalei Zion. Maybe they weren't so clearly rejected after all?
In this regard I would also be interested in documents of the general rejection by the Jewish Community all together i.e. the CV (Centralverein deutscher Staatsbürger jüdischen Glaubens) or others. What I do know already is that there were great reservations by the German Jews towards the incoming Eastern European Jews the "Ostjuden". The latter played a major role in the founding of Poale Zion in Germany and were also their biggest constituency.
I have looked through newspapers like "Jüdische Rundschau" and the "Welt" but could not find any evidence for my hypothesis that the Marxist Zionists were not well received within the German Jewish Community.
I would appreciate all forms of help or hints on this question.
Thanks,
Jonah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users