3 replies to this topic

#1 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:05 AM

Here are some things that struck me (most of them I like):

The people are generally more helpful to strangers than in the USA. There were numerous examples of this. Some people insisted to help us with our heavy luggage off the train.

Shabbos dress is more relaxed than in the USA (especially among the Dati) White shirt and slacks.

Many (most) Ashkenazim daven nusach Sephard.

Shul is for davening and not a community center.

The fruits & vegetables are much better.

The public transit is not bad for getting around.

Lots of people carry guns especially for security at buildings.

In some communities they have shabbos alarms announcing the coming of shabbos.

The felafal and schwarma are the best.

Dairy products (ice cream, yogurt) seem creamier than in the USA.

Most of the sodas use real sugar and not corn syrup.

Most of the same OTC meds can be found at the pharmacies except benadryl for one. They have sometimes better alternatives such as Fenistil.

OTC meds are not in super markets but in pharmacies only.

Bread & religious articles are cheap.

Unless you shop at the malls the clothes are cheap price and quality.

Setting up cell phone service is much more complicated.

This is just a sampling of what we experienced but we're very excited to make aliyah in 2 weeks!

Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

The people are generally more helpful to strangers than in the USA. There were numerous examples of this. Some people insisted to help us with our heavy luggage off the train.

This is true. Though people may not seem to show it people really do care a lot about one another and helping each other out.

Shabbos dress is more relaxed than in the USA (especially among the Dati) White shirt and slacks.

"Dati" just means "religious." You probably mean "Dati Luemi" or "National Religious." Dati itself, strictly speaking includes Charadi and many other subgroups. But yes, among Dati Luemi the dress in relaxed. This is not at all the case among Charadim however.

Many (most) Ashkenazim daven nusach Sephard.

I would disagree with that assumption. The GRA talmidim (strict misnagdim) daven Ashkenaz and are found all over Israel. Do note that the Israeli nusach, even for ashkanaz does incorporate some nuscach sephard practices.

Shul is for davening and not a community center.

Mostly true among Israeli shuls. However, among "anglo shuls" this is not always the case.

The fruits & vegetables are much better.

Duh.

The public transit is not bad for getting around.

Let's not get carried away here. (Seriously though, you are right. It a very impressive public transportation system and relatively inexpensive as well.)

Lots of people carry guns especially for security at buildings.

It actually extremely hard to get a gun in Israel. You have to prove you need one such as if you are a security guard or live in a dangerous area, like in Yesha. But yes, guns, can be found. And when you enter a supermarket the security guard asks you "neshek?" he's asking if you have a weapon, not for a kiss. If fine to have one, they just want to know about it when you enter.

In some communities they have shabbos alarms announcing the coming of shabbos.

Yes. Note these are one long blast and supposed to many short blasts which is an air raid siren telling you to get to the miklat or sealed rooms.

The felafal and schwarma are the best.

Indeed.

Dairy products (ice cream, yogurt) seem creamier than in the USA.

Also most certainly true.

Most of the sodas use real sugar and not corn syrup.

This is correct.

Most of the same OTC meds can be found at the pharmacies except benadryl for one. They have sometimes better alternatives such as Fenistil.

Maybe so, but you still can't get Neosporin.

OTC meds are not in super markets but in pharmacies only.

Right.

Bread & religious articles are cheap.

Only plain bread. It's subsidized by the government. Every few years there is actually a bread strike because the bakeries claim they are losing money. At these times only the fancier more expensive ones are available.

Unless you shop at the malls the clothes are cheap price and quality.

I don't know. But then again, I don't know any Americans that buy clothes here.

Setting up cell phone service is much more complicated.

I don't think that this is true at all.

This is just a sampling of what we experienced but we're very excited to make aliyah in 2 weeks!

Very excited as well! Are you on an NBN flight?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

This is true. Though people may not seem to show it people really do care a lot about one another and helping each other out.

Yes Dati Luemi. Yes I know Heradim dress up more.

"Dati" just means "religious." You probably mean "Dati Luemi" or "National Religious." Dati itself, strictly speaking includes Charadi and many other subgroups. But yes, among Dati Luemi the dress in relaxed. This is not at all the case among Charadim however.

In the shul I went to (the great ashkanzi shul) they had only 1 ashkenaz siddur and all sephard. The GRA talmidim are concentrated in the larger religious neighborhoods right?

I would disagree with that assumption. The GRA talmidim (strict misnagdim) daven Ashkenaz and are found all over Israel. Do note that the Israeli nusach, even for ashkanaz does incorporate some nuscach sephard practices.

Mostly true among Israeli shuls. However, among "anglo shuls" this is not always the case.

Duh.

Nothing is perfect but it seems to work Posted Image

Let's not get carried away here. (Seriously though, you are right. It a very impressive public transportation system and relatively inexpensive as well.)

Yeah I meant the security gaurds, soldiers or police (on & off duty). Like the pistol stocks. HAHA

It actually extremely hard to get a gun in Israel. You have to prove you need one such as if you are a security guard or live in a dangerous area, like in Yesha. But yes, guns, can be found. And when you enter a supermarket the security guard asks you "neshek?" he's asking if you have a weapon, not for a kiss. If fine to have one, they just want to know about it when you enter.

The first one was loud chasidishe music blasted for three minutes. The 2nd one was the long blast like you said.

Yes. Note these are one long blast and supposed to many short blasts which is an air raid siren telling you to get to the miklat or sealed rooms.

Indeed.

Also most certainly true.

This is correct.

Maybe so, but you still can't get Neosporin.

Right.

Challah was 1/6 the price

Only plain bread. It's subsidized by the government. Every few years there is actually a bread strike because the bakeries claim they are losing money. At these times only the fancier more expensive ones are available.

I don't know. But then again, I don't know any Americans that buy clothes here.

With my language learning curve? Posted Image

I don't think that this is true at all.

Individual El Al flight arranged by NBN. Not the charter or group flights.

Very excited as well! Are you on an NBN flight?

Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

#4 justajew

justajew

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Welcome home :clapping:
I don't know how hard it is to get a gun, after all even I got one. You just need to be here at least 3 years, or have gone through the army, and have some reason or need.
"Buy land. They've stopped making it." -Mark Twain
-Remember that the ark was built by amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
-The world population will do fine without everyone's individual participation.---Brianna
-If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would have destroyed civilization.
...Of course I know what I am doing, I've seen this done dozens of times...Bugs Bunny always survives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users