15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

Let's talk AC bills.

My June bill was $377. Naturally I freaked out and decided that in July I was going to be hypervigilant about using the AC. We did not turn it on at all unless it was deadly (>95) or over Shabbos if we had guests. It got really, really hot but I was happy that I was saving money (ha!). Then my July bill comes and it was $336!!!! Only $40 less. So we got to shvitz AND pay through the nose.

Today I was talking to my SIL who was complaining that her AC bill was $290. Now they run their AC all day and their apartment is always cool, and they pay LESS than us. What is going on? Their apartment is slightly larger than ours and we both have 4 AC's but as I said, mine are hardly ever turned on. They are on a ground floor and we are on a 3rd floor, I know that makes a difference. One of our AC's is very old and probably very inefficient.... but does that really explain this huge discrepancy? They suggested I call con-ed to make sure nobody is hooked on to our power.

#2 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

How do you have a bill for air-conditioning? Do you mean a bill for electricity?

#3 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

I have no real idea as I don't live in the US but is it possible these are estimated bills and no one has read your meter? I would query the bill and ask them to come and read the meter and you might find a huge downward adjustment.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#4 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

How do you have a bill for air-conditioning? Do you mean a bill for electricity?

Yes, my electric bill in the winter is negligible (about $60/mo) so my summer bill really is just paying for AC.

And lyric, no, it wasn't an estimated bill.

#5 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yes, my electric bill in the winter is negligible (about $60/mo) so my summer bill really is just paying for AC.

And lyric, no, it wasn't an estimated bill.

Well then query it. I would.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#6 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

Could be that the old AC is drawing a lot of power. You can get an electricity usage monitor to check it.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00009MDBU

#7 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Maybe someone is stealing your power. Or your ACs are REALLY inefficient....
[/flirting]

#8 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

a lower floor should need somewhat less a/c, just as they need slightly more heat, since heat rises. with basements, this sometimes makes a quite dramatic difference.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#9 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Could be that the old AC is drawing a lot of power. You can get an electricity usage monitor to check it.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00009MDBU

Thanks. That looks like a good product.

Maybe someone is stealing your power. Or your ACs are REALLY inefficient....

Well, I know that at least 1 is really old and probably inefficient. The rest are <5 years old.

Another possibility is that our wiring is really old and inefficient, but that's not in my control....

#10 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Is her apartment newer? Are you attached, semi, etc.? Also, a major factor besides what everyone mentioned is the filter. When was the last time you cleaned or replaced it?

#11 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with Con-Ed. Mystery solved -- we had recently switched to one of these "energy saving" plans and they were actually charging us 9 cents MORE per kwh than con ed.

Well, I'm switching back, and they will also send someone down to do an energy audit to figure out where the power is going (and make sure nobody is stealing ours).

#12 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Update: I do not remember how I switched or why, but I was scammed BIG TIME by Energy Plus. I never really look that closely at my electricity bill because in the winter it's pretty low... it's only in the summer that it got out of control.

I thought I would be saving money by switching to this plan and had no clue I was being charged almost double each month... :bigcry: :bigcry:

#13 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

Insulation, windows, especially those facing south, etc.. are big factors in how hot or cold your house would be.

#14 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

What about your heating bills? How do they compare? If they are also larger, then it could indeed be the apartment.

#15 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

What about your heating bills? How do they compare? If they are also larger, then it could indeed be the apartment.

My landlord pays for heating.

#16 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

I guess this no real way other than seeing his reaction when getting the bill or if it's set really low. The energy audit is probably the best bet, you can find out a lot from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users