• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

M'doraisa. Again, as long as it is a purely destructive act.
All of the examples you chose are only melachos if they are constructive in nature.

I was giving a high-level description of what melachot are, not describing the details. It doesn't matter if it's d'oreita or d'rabbanon. Assur is assur.

#42 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

I was giving a high-level description of what melachot are, not describing the details. It doesn't matter if it's d'oreita or d'rabbanon. Assur is assur.

Assur is assur, but dont lump everything into the melacha category if its not.
My dental supply website: Visit My Website! Updated weekly!
My dental supply website blog: Visit My Website's Blog! Updated weekly!

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"
--------------
"You underestimate the power of the dark side!"-Lord Vader
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"-Lord Vader
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#43 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

Assur is assur, but dont lump everything into the melacha category if its not.

Demolishing is a melacha. I don't know what you're trying to say.

#44 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Demolishing is a melacha. I don't know what you're trying to say.

Demolishing with the intent to build is a melacha. Destroying stam is not.

--------------
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#45 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Demolishing with the intent to build is a melacha. Destroying stam is not.

Melacha d'oreita. D'rabbanan it includes destroying stam.

#46 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Melacha d'oreita. D'rabbanan it includes destroying stam.

Perhaps. But when giving the textbook definition of what melacha really means, it helps to keep it at the biblical level.

--------------

#47 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

Perhaps. But when giving the textbook definition of what melacha really means, it helps to keep it at the biblical level.

I wasn't giving a textbook definition, I was giving a high-level conceptual definition.

#48 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

I wasn't giving a textbook definition, I was giving a high-level conceptual definition.

Yes but without specificity, it creates confusion and possible mistakes down the road.

--------------

#49 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

Yes but without specificity, it creates confusion and possible mistakes down the road.

I doubt it. Nobody's going to be making halachic decisions based on what I said. And even if they do, you can go be wrong by assuming it's assur. :p

#50 xDenax

xDenax

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

That's a good idea. I just don't know how many books on Judaism they would have.

I think I saw you are in San Fransisco? They will have a TON of books I am sure. Also, you can try the shul libraries around town.

#51 BeachKat

BeachKat

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

I believe that Conservative Judaism allows electricity and electronic writing on Shabbat, so to them, there is no problem with using a Kindle at all.

I'm sure that most people on this board would tell you to throw away the following books, because they are written from a Reform/Conservative perspective:

Mishkan T'filah, The Women's Torah Commentary, What's Special about Judaism, To Life!, Living a Joyous Life, What is a Jew? On the Doorposts of Your Home, and The Jewish Book of Why.

That's why I listed what has been recommended and what I have so far. I would like to read books that are more from an orthodox point of view. Books from artscroll.com would be orthodox, right? Other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

I think I saw you are in San Fransisco? They will have a TON of books I am sure. Also, you can try the shul libraries around town.

I am actually in Napa, about an hour away from San Francisco. I attend shul in Berkeley though and I just found a book store there called Afikomen. I will go there next time I am in Berkeley on a Sunday or once my classes start after Yom Kippur.

#52 xDenax

xDenax

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

If you ordered books from artschroll you might find what you want. What types of books do you want? I mean, what topics?

#53 Tonga

Tonga

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hi BeachKat, can you talk to people at the shul and see about getting invites for kiddush lunch? Also if there are study groups that you could join, or perhaps you could
interest others in starting one? Do you go to shul for mincha/maariv and seudah shlishi?

Printing out articles or getting books from the library sound like very good suggestions.

#54 BeachKat

BeachKat

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

I did get told about a kiddush lunch last week, but everybody had already left. I live about an hour away so I can't join too many groups, but do plan on taking classes with the rabbi after Yom Kippur. Right now I just attend services Saturday morning. There are times when I really wish I had been born into a Jewish family so I could have learned all of this while growing up. It would also be nice to have family where all of this is simply what is done and then I wouldn't be the different one. I do like learning about it all now though and wouldn't give it up for anything.

#55 BeachKat

BeachKat

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

The books that I have from artscroll are On Judaism, Entering Jewish Prayer, Touched by a Story, A Touch of Inspiration, The Power of Teshuvah, Understanding Judaism, and Gateway to Judaism. I also have a Koren Siddur that we use in Berkeley.

#56 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Horeb and The Nineteen Letters by R Samson Raphael Hirsch
They are very heavy reading, but IMO invaluable.
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#57 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

Books from artscroll.com would be orthodox, right? Other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

I am actually in Napa,...

Then you should understand that Artscroll is to Judaism as Manischewitz is to wine.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#58 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

Then you should understand that Artscroll is to Judaism as Manischewitz is to wine.

There's gotta be more to wine than just Manischewitz... :p
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#59 lambda

lambda

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Artscroll has some good publications, particularly their translations of classical commentaries. Does Manischewitz have any good wine?

#60 BeachKat

BeachKat

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

Actually there are kosher wineries here in Napa. One that comes to mind is Hagafen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users