• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

Where do you do your exercise?
I'm looking for a place cause at home i only mange to do a full workout once a week

#2 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

At home. Gym membership rarely pays off. Most people end up not going.

#3 BroadwayFreak

BroadwayFreak

It's garden season!

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

Gym. I'm unable to keep myself motivated at home and only workout consistently at the gym. I love the group fitness classes at the gym I go to. I've been a member there for 5 years and when life isn't crazy, I usually manage 3-4 times a week.
"Evereything in moderation (except beer)."
-Cholentpot

#4 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Gym. I paid for a year in advance to get the best rate, and I do regret it at times. There are many times that I exercise outside, whether bike riding, jogging, or walking alone or with friends. However, the fact that I paid and that I want to get my money's worth is an incentive to work out more often.

#5 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Gym. I like to go during my lunch break from work and right after work. I used to do dvds at home but this is a better workout for me, and my health insurance pays for it.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#6 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

IRL.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#7 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

Typing is the most exercise I get...
[/flirting]

#8 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

I have a treadmill, hula hoop, weights, mini trampoline and exercise ball at home; my trainer comes to me. I gave up my gym membership. As long as she comes, I'm motivated.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#9 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:56 AM

I do hulahoop for 20 min. a day, does it really work.

#10 justajew

justajew

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

At the gym. We have a really nice one on the Yishuv, I try to go 3 times a week before work.
"Buy land. They've stopped making it." -Mark Twain
-Remember that the ark was built by amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
-The world population will do fine without everyone's individual participation.---Brianna
-If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would have destroyed civilization.
...Of course I know what I am doing, I've seen this done dozens of times...Bugs Bunny always survives.

#11 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

It all depends on what kind(s) of exercise you are interested in doing. Unless you are going to push heavy weights (eg you can bench over 300lb) a gym is pointless imo. You can buy a hq adjustable dumbbell set and a pull-up bar for the cost of a gym membership, you can jog outdoors, do yoga in your living room, walk down K street, etc.

I guess some people like the gym atmosphere though and others go to be seen.
Blessed be all

#12 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

I do hulahoop for 20 min. a day, does it really work.

As I have back problems at the moment I'm a bit nervous of doing anything involving spinal rotation. But hopefully we'll dare to try again soon.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#13 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

I think hula hooping is actually supposed to be good for the spine, so it would be worth trying once you feel comfortable with the prospect.
Blessed be all

#14 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

Unless you are going to push heavy weights (eg you can bench over 300lb) a gym is pointless imo. You can buy a hq adjustable dumbbell set and a pull-up bar for the cost of a gym membership

neither of which even remotely approaches the range of weightlifting possibilities a decent gym provides.
zinh.

#15 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

neither of which even remotely approaches the range of weightlifting possibilities a decent gym provides.

How many options do you need? You can do a full body workout with dumbbells. Actually, you could take it a step further and only purchase one kettlebell and still get a full body workout.
Blessed be all

#16 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

How many options do you need? You can do a full body workout with dumbbells. Actually, you could take it a step further and only purchase one kettlebell and still get a full body workout.

a very rudimentary "full body workout," perhaps. but rudimentary isn't for everyone. kettleballs aren't nearly as versatile as their marketers like to make you think. and neither dumbells nor kettleballs will do much for your legs.
zinh.

#17 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

There's also the issue of guidance. If you exercise with weights alone, you could be at risk of doing yourself an injury without a trainer to tell you how to do it, particularly the kettlebell. A gym has experts on hand. Or hire a personal trainer at home. I injured my back quite badly with a kettlebell recently and that was even WITH my trainer; she was operating under the false premise that if she could do a movement I (with osteoarthritis of the spine) could also do it.

#18 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

a very rudimentary "full body workout," perhaps. but rudimentary isn't for everyone. kettleballs aren't nearly as versatile as their marketers like to make you think. and neither dumbells nor kettleballs will do much for your legs.

Your hamstrings are actually the main muscle worked in kettlebell swings. In any case, most people don't need heavy weights. Most people can't even do sets of air squats with no weights. If you are interested in squatting really heavy weights (the same idea as benching over 300 lbs) then yeah I say join a gym. However, your legs can get more ripped than 99.99% of the population with no more than adjustable dumbbells, a chair, and a wall.
Blessed be all

#19 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

Your hamstrings are actually the main muscle worked in kettlebell swings. In any case, most people don't need heavy weights. Most people can't even do sets of air squats with no weights.

hamstrings are just one of several leg muscle groups. squats don't get at all of them either.
zinh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users