22 replies to this topic

#1 Silence

Silence

Gabbai

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

We live in interesting times. Can't really get my head around this:
<. <!-- . id="ytplayer" class="EmbeddedVideo" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="https://youtube.com/embed/VxFj4mv0rRQ?html5=1&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen /><. -->>
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it for himself."
- Galileo Galilei
"זֶה-הַיּוֹם, עָשָׂה יְהוָה; נָגִילָה וְנִשְׂמְחָה בוֹ"
- Tehillim 118:24

#2 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

I can only imagine how my atheist friend fumed at this. She thinks it should be illegal for people to preach in public or talk about God, just as it's wrong to swear in public.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#3 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Can't really get my head around this:

why?
zinh.

#4 Silence

Silence

Gabbai

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

why?

That Psalm is talking about Jerusalem in the time of Moshiach. What is he saying? What is he thinking? So many other Psalms deal with overcoming difficult times, why in the world did he pick this one?
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it for himself."
- Galileo Galilei

#5 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

That Psalm is talking about Jerusalem in the time of Moshiach. What is he saying? What is he thinking? So many other Psalms deal with overcoming difficult times, why in the world did he pick this one?

I think he thinks of himself as the Messiah.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#6 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

The plane hit the first tower at 8:46 a.m. so my guess is he was going cutesy.

#7 Silence

Silence

Gabbai

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

The plane hit the first tower at 8:46 a.m. so my guess is he was going cutesy.

:lol:
- Galileo Galilei

#8 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

:blink: you might try listening to that one again.
zinh.

#9 Silence

Silence

Gabbai

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

:blink: you might try listening to that one again.

It is not the best performance, I opened a Tehillim instead.
- Galileo Galilei

#10 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

It is not the best performance, I opened a Tehillim instead.

:rolleyes:
zinh.

#11 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

I can only imagine how my atheist friend fumed at this. She thinks it should be illegal for people to preach in public or talk about God, just as it's wrong to swear in public.

I have to agree that I think this was inappropriate. While I wouldn't use the word fuming to describe my feelings about it, I think reading a passage from the Bible is inappropriate for the president or any government official and any official event. Why does there seem to be no respect for the concept of separation of church and state? I think it's wrong for the president to be reading a religious passage or promoting a religious message in public. Just stick to paying respects or giving an inspirational message - why does it have to be a religious one?

#12 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have to agree that I think this was inappropriate. While I wouldn't use the word fuming to describe my feelings about it, I think reading a passage from the Bible is inappropriate for the president or any government official and any official event. Why does there seem to be no respect for the concept of separation of church and state? I think it's wrong for the president to be reading a religious passage or promoting a religious message in public. Just stick to paying respects or giving an inspirational message - why does it have to be a religious one?

First of all the concept does not prevent religious politicians from invoking G-d in any of their addresses- official or otherwise. Secondly, this was not an official governmental event. Third of all, why are you so afraid of a religious reference or passage?

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"
--------------
"You underestimate the power of the dark side!"-Lord Vader
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"-Lord Vader
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#13 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

I believe strongly inseparation of church and state, but I see no problem with such a reading. The Bible is not only a religious book, it also contains some of the finest examples of literature achieved by humans, and the tehillim are certainly examples of that. Should we ignore every single piece of human achievement with religious origins? If Obama paid an official visit to Rome, should he be prohibited from getting an official tour of the Vatican to see the Pieta?

Reading a psalm at a function is not imposing religion on anyone.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#14 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

First of all the concept does not prevent religious politicians from invoking G-d in any of their addresses- official or otherwise. Secondly, this was not an official governmental event. Third of all, why are you so afraid of a religious reference or passage?

I understand that the concept in and of itself doesn't prevent religious politicians from doing this. However, I'm saying that I don't think it's appropriate. This was an event to pay tribute to America as a nation and to Americans as a whole. Therefore, reading a religious passage at such an event to give over a religious message was, in MHO, inappropriate. That's my opinion. I'm not sure where you read "fear" into that opinion.

I believe strongly inseparation of church and state, but I see no problem with such a reading. The Bible is not only a religious book, it also contains some of the finest examples of literature achieved by humans, and the tehillim are certainly examples of that. Should we ignore every single piece of human achievement with religious origins? If Obama paid an official visit to Rome, should he be prohibited from getting an official tour of the Vatican to see the Pieta?

I'm not sure how you can equate getting a tour of the Vatican and reading a clearly religious passage at such an event. This wasn't sharing the passage for the purpose of sharing some of the fine literature achieved by humans. This was publicly giving over a religious message at an event which was not religious, nor meant to be. Therefore, I don't think it was appropriate to quote from the Bible in this instance, especially considering the fact that the intention was the religious aspect of it and faith.

#15 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

:rolleyes: every session of congress opens with a prayer.
zinh.

#16 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

:rolleyes: every session of congress opens with a prayer.

Exactly, even congress doesnt appreciate or value the separation of church and state, a principle on which this country was founded... Shameful! Soon they may even legalize prayer in school, then where will we end up....
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#17 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

even congress doesnt appreciate or value the separation of church and state, a principle on which this country was founded...

it was the founders of this country who started the practice.
zinh.

#18 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

it was the founders of this country who started the practice.

Well, clearly they just didnt get it either....
This conspiracy goes straight to the top...
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

- Snag

#19 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

:thumbsup:

I understand that the concept in and of itself doesn't prevent religious politicians from doing this. However, I'm saying that I don't think it's appropriate. This was an event to pay tribute to America as a nation and to Americans as a whole. Therefore, reading a religious passage at such an event to give over a religious message was, in MHO, inappropriate. That's my opinion. I'm not sure where you read "fear" into that opinion.

It was not about giving a religious message. It was about comfort, and for 90% of this nation, comfort comes from some god. Even the passage Bush read had an element of comfort from God. (Actually, as Bush was reading the passage I was wondering about the way times change, in that now this country has one less thing in common which makes it somewhat harder to write consolation letters.)

Well, clearly they just didnt get it either....
This conspiracy goes straight to the top...

Together with the pentagram in Washington. It's all so scary!
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#20 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

Together with the pentagram in Washington. It's all so scary!

I know!

- Snag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users