• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

does anyone remember the story about the chofetz chaim, when a man came to him, claiming to have found the keilim from the bais hamikdash in a cave?

I seem to recall a surprise ending...
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#2 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

does anyone remember the story about the chofetz chaim, when a man came to him, claiming to have found the keilim from the bais hamikdash in a cave?

I seem to recall a surprise ending...

It was mentioned in the book 'All For The Boss' I believe...
My dental supply website: Visit My Website! Updated weekly!
My dental supply website blog: Visit My Website's Blog! Updated weekly!

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"
--------------
"You underestimate the power of the dark side!"-Lord Vader
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"-Lord Vader
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#3 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

hmm...
don't have a copy handy...

#4 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Iirc, R Herman was told to tell the guy not to say anything and then he (R Herman) should burn the letter from the CC
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#5 int

int

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Iirc, R Herman was told to tell the guy not to say anything and then he (R Herman) should burn the letter from the CC

Why?

#6 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

right. I even remember a version that involved closing the mouth of the cave with the fellow who found it trapped inside. there is a foolish tendency to assume that hastening the redemption is necessarily a good thing, always. I seem to recall another story from All for the Boss, wherein R' Herman was shown signs that his daily, intense prayers for moshiach should be discontinued. Intriguing notion.

#7 int

int

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

right. I even remember a version that involved closing the mouth of the cave with the fellow who found it trapped inside.

So murder is suddenly ok?

#8 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

Why?

I think 'the time wasn't right' or something.

right. I even remember a version that involved closing the mouth of the cave with the fellow who found it trapped inside.

That part sounds very strange.... as Int points out, why isn't that murder, plain and simple?
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#9 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

maybe he had food in there. maybe it's not an act of murder, even if there isn't food, like the cheshbon of the shivtei-kah, who lowered yosef into a pit full venomous snakes and scorpions- if he's deemed worthy by HKB"H, he won't die. maybe idk what the justification is, but I'm just trying to remember the story. (ie, a kasho oif a ma'aseh)

#10 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I googled and found a link to the pages from the book, according to which no one was trapped in the cave. The link is to page 148, but the story begins on 146, so scroll up.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#11 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

that's no proof, all for the boss is likely to have the pg-13 version of the story.

#12 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

that's no proof, all for the boss is likely to have the pg-13 version of the story.

Had you said that when the book was first mentioned (instead of "don't have a copy handy") I would not have looked for it.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#13 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

next time, you'll know better.

#14 int

int

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

maybe he had food in there. maybe it's not an act of murder, even if there isn't food, like the cheshbon of the shivtei-kah, who lowered yosef into a pit full venomous snakes and scorpions- if he's deemed worthy by HKB"H, he won't die. maybe idk what the justification is, but I'm just trying to remember the story. (ie, a kasho oif a ma'aseh)

If you lower someone into a pit (even empty of snakes and scorpions), and walk away and he dies of starvation, I think you would be liable for capital punishment for murder (given the usual provisions of witnesses, etc.). Making it is murder, plain and simple.

#15 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

could be...

I'm just trying to remember the story.

#16 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

I seem to vaguely recall the meam loez (before the time of the CC) talking about two cohenim having a catch and then being clumsy and discovering a loose floor tile... then I'm blanking on the rest...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#17 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Okay... found something:

http://www.chabad.or...s-Courtyard.htm

The Talmud records the following incident: It once happened that priests were sitting and sorting wood in this Chamber, when one of them noticed that a floor tile was loose. He realized that this led to the secret tunnel in which the Holy Ark was hidden.

[The Ark had been hidden during the time of Yeshayahu (Isaiah) towards the end of the First Temple era. When the Jews returned from the seventy-year exile, the Ark could not be found. Tradition says that there was to be no Ark during the Second Temple era.]

The priest, who had discovered the hidden place of the Ark, sought to crack open the tile with his hatchet, when suddenly fire issued forth and consumed him. This was taken as an omen that the Ark should remain hidden.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#18 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users