21 replies to this topic

#1 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

http://en.wikipedia....eating_syndrome

Is it just me, or is this more common than it sounds like?

I'm always starving at night, and I find that's the hardest time to watch what I eat. For some reason, the night just lends itself to binging. Any ideas to help prevent or stop this from happening?

#2 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

This "night eating disorder" sounds like nonsense, but that's a separate issue from your problem of being particularly hungry at night. Are you eating properly during the day? Are you eating a proper dinner? Are you actually hungry or are you just bored and have a fridge filled with food on hand? Are you depressed? Stressed? Dehydrated?

#3 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

This "night eating disorder" sounds like nonsense, but that's a separate issue from your problem of being particularly hungry at night. Are you eating properly during the day? Are you eating a proper dinner? Are you actually hungry or are you just bored and have a fridge filled with food on hand? Are you depressed? Stressed? Dehydrated?

Yes on eating during day. Yes on proper dinner. No on hungry. Yes on bored. No on food in fridge - I'll actually open the fridge like 5 times in 10 minutes, even though I know that nothing is in there, just because I'm craving something. Not depressed. Definitely stressed. Not dehydrated - I drink like 10 glasses of water a day.

#4 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

What do you call "night"? Is it 9 pm or 3 a.m.? I also tend to want to nash at 9 or 10 pm, so I try and have something healthy in my room next to the computer/tv so as not to be tempted to eat something unhealthy.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#5 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Yes on eating during day. Yes on proper dinner. No on hungry. Yes on bored. No on food in fridge - I'll actually open the fridge like 5 times in 10 minutes, even though I know that nothing is in there, just because I'm craving something. Not depressed. Definitely stressed. Not dehydrated - I drink like 10 glasses of water a day.

So you're bored. Get a hobby. Stressed? Try yoga. Done. I'll send you my bill in the mail. :wink2:

#6 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

If that doesn't get her binge eating nothing will.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#7 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

Stop eating actual structured meals, and move onto eating a little whenever you're hungry, and enough to satiate yourself for the moment. Wont matter then.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#8 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

If I did that I'd never stop eating :bigcry:
[/flirting]

#9 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

If I did that I'd never stop eating :bigcry:

Yeah, but You would probably eat a lot less. I know I would.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#10 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

What do you call "night"? Is it 9 pm or 3 a.m.? I also tend to want to nash at 9 or 10 pm, so I try and have something healthy in my room next to the computer/tv so as not to be tempted to eat something unhealthy.

It's usually around 2 AM - but then again, my schedule is completely off from what others would consider normal. I usually sleep from 3 AM - 11 AM, so 2 AM would be like a midnight for me.

#11 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

It's usually around 2 AM - but then again, my schedule is completely off from what others would consider normal. I usually sleep from 3 AM - 11 AM, so 2 AM would be like a midnight for me.

can you get onto a better schedule? if you go to bed at 10/11 pm, you probably won't be hungry at that hour.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#12 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

can you get onto a better schedule? if you go to bed at 10/11 pm, you probably won't be hungry at that hour.

I'm sure I technically could, but this works better for me. I do most of my work during those late hours. If I thought it would significantly help, then I might give it a try - but I assume that I would just want to eat an hour or so before I went to bed then too. Not sure if that would change anything.

#13 Cassandra

Cassandra

Phat Girlz

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'm sure I technically could, but this works better for me. I do most of my work during those late hours. If I thought it would significantly help, then I might give it a try - but I assume that I would just want to eat an hour or so before I went to bed then too. Not sure if that would change anything.

I believe it's been "proven" that going to sleep earlier helps with such problems and that's why night shift workers tend to be heavier.
"Underworld Plaza...Lingerie Shop...I love the names of these chassidish underwear stores. Why can't they just call it Fancy Panties?!" ~Bitter

"The rule of thumb in MO circles is nothing more than a threesome. We have standards, you know. We're not completely frei." ~Melech

#14 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

If you eat dinner at 7, and then eat at 2am, that's a 7 hour span of you not being hungry. So if you go to bed at 11, you may want a light snack, but I doubt you'll eat as much or be as hungry, since it's only a 4 hour span.

But if you're a night owl, then I guess stick to it if it works...
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#15 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Get up earlier, it will automatically put you on a better schedule. Lucky you that you are able to get up that late though.

#16 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Lucky you that you are able to get up that late though.

It's all relative.

#17 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:39 AM

It's all relative.

Sure, but 11 AM is significantly later than the average post-school adult wakes up during the week.

#18 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:53 AM

Sure, but 11 AM is significantly later than the average post-school adult wakes up during the week.

When I said "it's relative," I was referring to the fact that you thought being able to wake up late was lucky.

#19 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

When I said "it's relative," I was referring to the fact that you thought being able to wake up late was lucky.

Could be, I was only speaking for myself, right? I wouldnt mind a little extra sleep in the AM, if possible.

#20 Elisheva39

Elisheva39

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

If I am up until the wee hours of the morning, I get hungry. I think it is because I am burning off more calories by being up. A little protein can be good if you know you are going to be up late. A little bread or something can help sooth the stomach and encourage sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users