israel judaism non-jewish moving living

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hey Everyone! I hope you are all fine and happy today.

I’m a 19 year old male who, in the last couple of months, has experienced a growing interest for Israel.
It all started in history class, where we were to analyze different conflicts (hot zones) in the middle-east, and I chose Israel. After some time, I felt “hooked” as they say. I guess some would call me pro-Israel. Well, to keep a long story short, I have a few questions I hope people would like to answer, and guide me through.

Here goes

1. If I am in no way related to any jewish/Israeli person, is it possible for me to move to/ live in Israel?
2. If yes, can I somehow obtain citizenship in the state of Israel?
3. Could I join the army if I wanted to? (Compulsory military service)

4. Would it be hard to get a job in Israel, if one does not speak Hebrew?

5. I guess this one is something people would have different opinions on, but I haven’t met people who were able to answer this: How do Isrealites view people who has converted to Judaism, compared to people who were born in Jewish families?

Ps. I’m sorry if I’ve offended anyone by using a wrong term or word, in any particular sentence. Also, sorry if these questions have been asked too many times, and I haven’t done enough research on the forum here.

Hope to see some answers and thank you all for your time.

- IllNath

#2 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

1. Possibly depending on what you'd be doing...
2. Exceedingly unlikely (unless you convert, or marry an Israeli)
3. I believe so
4. It depends on in what field. But it is certainly possible
5. Sincere converts are considered full fledged Jews (and you wouldn't ever be required to tell anyone anyway).
[/flirting]

#3 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

1. Possibly depending on what you'd be doing...
2. Exceedingly unlikely (unless you convert, or marry an Israeli)
3. I believe so
4. It depends on in what field. But it is certainly possible
5. Sincere converts are considered full fledged Jews (and you wouldn't ever be required to tell anyone anyway).

Thank you very much for the answer :) !

So, If I marry an israeli women, could she then take me with her to live in Israel?
Would I have to convert before going to Israel, or when I'm in Israel to obtain citizenship??

- IllNath

#4 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

So, If I marry an israeli women, could she then take me with her to live in Israel?

Well the problem is that in Israel there is no civil marriage so you can't marry an Israeli Jew unless you yourself are Jewish. International civil marriages are recognized, but Religious Jews (and even many not so religious ones) strongly frown upon intermarriage, so expect an issue...

Would I have to convert before going to Israel, or when I'm in Israel to obtain citizenship??

It depends on how you do it, and who you speak to about your plans. There is a TON of bureaucracy in Israel including the Chief Rabbinate and if you don't do things THEIR way exactly, expect a lot of aggravation. Both are an option, but I think in general you should complete the process from start to finish either all IN Israel or all abroad. I think there is also a special conversion visa but I'm not sure of the details and if things get delayed you can get into trouble...
[/flirting]

#5 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Israel is a second world economy. Good luck finding a descent job over there. The prospects of which are much lower than in the US. You need an actual degree or marketable skill to make anything. The army is not going to pay you like it would in the US.

It seems you have found the back door into Jew-hood. I too may need to marry a Jewish woman to give myself Jewish status. As soon as this happens I want all the good job hook ups and business loans as possible. I also will be able to have a child that is not dumb.

#6 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

I don't see any genuine belief in Judaism in this poster's wish to live in Israel. So a conversion according to mainstream is likely to be met with opposition and discouragement, which it is anyway, but with more reason here.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#7 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

It seems you have found the back door into Jew-hood. I too may need to marry a Jewish woman to give myself Jewish status. As soon as this happens I want all the good job hook ups and business loans as possible. I also will be able to have a child that is not dumb.

Ummmm....
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#8 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Thanks a lot ! - I've been planning to move to Israel, when I'm done with my education (going to take a few years though). Just a thought but I like the thought so far.

What status do you have in Israel, if your are like a tourist who lives there, works there etc. ? By status I mean rights.

Oh, as you can hear I don't know a lot about this topic, but how do they look upon relationships outside of a marriage? Very curious :)

- IllNath

#9 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

Secular Israelis are like secular anyone; they are fine with all kinds of out of marriage relationships.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#10 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Uhm. I'm sorry if I came of as someone just wanting to convert because I wanted to live in Israel. That wasn't quite my intentions. I was just curious about the different "rules" and regulations when living in Israel. I'm planning on going there for a few weeks in my "gap" year, which is next year. Maybe it wil put things straight, :) But I've heard the citizenship should be very hard to get though.. even harder than a lot of other countries .

- IllNath

#11 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Uhm. I'm sorry if I came of as someone just wanting to convert because I wanted to live in Israel. That wasn't quite my intentions. I was just curious about the different "rules" and regulations when living in Israel. I'm planning on going there for a few weeks in my "gap" year, which is next year. Maybe it wil put things straight, :) But I've heard the citizenship should be very hard to get though.. even harder than a lot of other countries .

- IllNath

I'm sorry but I still don't hear the "I love the Torah, I can't wait to be part of it" that would make me think otherwise. It's still all about living in Israel, not about being a Jew. Or are you actually saying you would be happy to live in Israel as a non Jew?

#12 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

#13 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:14 AM

I'm sorry but I still don't hear the "I love the Torah, I can't wait to be part of it" that would make me think otherwise. It's still all about living in Israel, not about being a Jew. Or are you actually saying you would be happy to live in Israel as a non Jew?

I don't know a lot about the Torah, so it would be ignorant of me to say that I love the torah.

Nevertheless, I have not doubt that it would be more pleasant to be Jewish when living in Israel. But I think I would like to convert when being in Israel, not in my homecountry.

As I said before, I know more about Israel and it's history, then the Torah.
Not trying to offend anyone here my friends. :)

Can anyone recommend any sites one can visit to learn about the Torah? Some of the main elements?

thank you.

- IllNath.

#14 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:22 AM

I don't know a lot about the Torah, so it would be ignorant of me to say that I love the torah.

Nevertheless, I have not doubt that it would be more pleasant to be Jewish when living in Israel. But I think I would like to convert when being in Israel, not in my homecountry.

As I said before, I know more about Israel and it's history, then the Torah.
Not trying to offend anyone here my friends. :)

Can anyone recommend any sites one can visit to learn about the Torah? Some of the main elements?

thank you.

- IllNath.

askmoses.com and aish.com are good starting off points. Actually askmoses is only if you know what you want to know about, aish is more laid out in front of you.

#15 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

askmoses.com and aish.com are good starting off points. Actually askmoses is only if you know what you want to know about, aish is more laid out in front of you.

Ok thank you very much! :) Do you live in Israel or? - Again, thanks :)

- IllNath

#16 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

Ok thank you very much! :) Do you live in Israel or? - Again, thanks :)

- IllNath

Not exactly although we have a second home there and are there at least six to eight times per year. At the moment we live in London. We have two married children in Israel and ten grandchildren out there too.

#17 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

Israel is a second world economy. Good luck finding a descent job over there. The prospects of which are much lower than in the US.

It's funny because unemployment in the US is double what it is in Israel today.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#18 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

Israel is a second world economy. Good luck finding a descent job over there. The prospects of which are much lower than in the US. You need an actual degree or marketable skill to make anything. The army is not going to pay you like it would in the US.

There is not a single sentence in the quoted post that is actually correct. Even a stopped clock......

- IllNath.

You would not be able to convert in Israel unless you plan to live as an Orthodox Jew.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#19 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

There is not a single sentence in the quoted post that is actually correct. Even a stopped clock......

What about "I also will be able to have a child that is not..."?

Oh... nevermind.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#20 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hm... We'll have to investigate what a 'descent job' is before passing judgement.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: israel, judaism, non-jewish, moving, living

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users