• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hm... We'll have to investigate what a 'descent job' is before passing judgement.

Ask KR!

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#22 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hm... We'll have to investigate what a 'descent job' is before passing judgement.

Mining?
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#23 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Not exactly although we have a second home there and are there at least six to eight times per year. At the moment we live in London. We have two married children in Israel and ten grandchildren out there too.

Oh that sounds lovely! - If I were to go to Israel, for a small period of time (1-3 months) what would you recommend I should take in to considerations? Places were I shouldn't go, having trouble finding a small job etc. ? :)

#24 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

If I were to go to Israel, for a small period of time (1-3 months) what would you recommend I should take in to considerations? Places were I shouldn't go, having trouble finding a small job etc. ? :)

The first thing I'd recommend is finding out if you qualify for a visa that allows you to work by contacting your local Israeli embassy
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#25 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

Pinchas is better placed than me to answer that; he lives there himself. I know nothing about getting jobs there. If I moved there I'd work as a prenatal teacher like I do in the UK.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#26 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hanging up signs in meah sharim.

Pinchas is right - micha

#27 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

:rofl:

#28 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Pros:
Lots of work available
relatively easy job
no education required

Cons:
no pay
crummy coworkers
women need not apply
if you hang the wrong sign in the wrong place, rival paperhangers might beat the tar out of you.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#29 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

The first thing I'd recommend is finding out if you qualify for a visa that allows you to work by contacting your local Israeli embassy

Great idea :D

Pinchas: Is there things you would like to state about recommendations when going to Israel? :) Specific ways to behave etc. ? :)

#30 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Yes, don't drink the tap water.

Pinchas is right - micha

#31 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

hmm maybe unemployment is lower now. I met a lot of Jews that moved to the US from Israel and they said it sucked there. The money is of little value so if you work in Israel and travel to EU and US you get killed in the currency conversion (maybe its different now?) and they said the jobs pay less than the US unless you have some high level degree or own your own business, military service is mandatory where you will be engaged in shooting people and when you are sitting down eating a hamburger a car bomb might go off anytime.

There are more Jews in the US than Israel. If it was such a great place that wouldn't be true. That being said it can be a good place to live, but I have generally not heard anything good about it, except for when people go on vacation there.

#32 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

There are more Jews in the US than Israel. If it was such a great place that wouldn't be true.

Batting a thousand, I see.

Israel- 5,703,700
US- 5,275,000

http://en.wikipedia....wish_population

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#33 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Posted Imagestarwolf, on 04 October 2011 - 05:19 PM, said:

Pros:
Lots of work available
relatively easy job
no education required

Cons:
no pay
crummy coworkers
women need not apply
if you hang the wrong sign in the wrong place, rival paperhangers might beat the tar out of you.

Actually you're WRONG on almost ALL counts, unless you limit yourself to Meah Shearim momish...

While there is lots of work available getting the jobs is quite competitive and the bigtime outfits have steady workers...

It's not so easy, you have to know where all the places to post are, know where NOT to post, look out for cops, municipal workers and irate citizens, and getting the poster to stick and STAY there is actually a semi-art form. I also happen to be one of the best glue makers in the WORLD...

While no education is required, both skill and knowledge are...

As for the cons:

The pay is actually excellent. On average I would take home anywhere around 600 NIS cash per night, tax free obviously... And we rarely pulled 8 hour shifts, and if we worked more than 9 there is overtime!

I enjoyed working with many of my coworkers and have many lasting friendships from such work... (I even worked more than a few times with Eden Natan Zada HY"D who was a model worker)

While it is not usual, I HAVE worked with chicks when there was no one else competent available, and the chicks are MUCH harder and diligent workers than any of the guys ive worked with. Hands down... They are also nuts and fearless...

The last is true, as is the risk of fines or arrest, but if you're good you can escape...
[/flirting]

#34 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Actually you're WRONG on almost ALL counts, unless you limit yourself to Meah Shearim momish............

Well, I was kinda thinking of mea shearim, but as for the rest--who woulda thunk it?

#35 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Ok. It sounds like I need to go down there, and not try to get a job. So basically it's going to be a vacation of some sort. Nevertheless, I am so excited to go!

This might seem like a very odd question but here goes; Are Israeli people nice to you in general, when you're a tourist and non-jewish? :)

- IllNath

#36 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

what kind of job is this? putting up illegal flyers?

#37 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

This might seem like a very odd question but here goes; Are Israeli people nice to you in general, when you're a tourist and non-jewish? :)

- IllNath

Israelis aren't known for being polite or friendly, at least apparently. But my daughter put it very well when she said that the Israeli girls in her seminary made the best and most loyal friends once you got to know them, but they were quite hard to get to know.

They aren't called Sabras for nothing; Sabra being the indiginous prickly pear plant; thorny on the outside; but sweet on the inside.

#38 IllNath

IllNath

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

Israelis aren't known for being polite or friendly, at least apparently. But my daughter put it very well when she said that the Israeli girls in her seminary made the best and most loyal friends once you got to know them, but they were quite hard to get to know.

They aren't called Sabras for nothing; Sabra being the indiginous prickly pear plant; thorny on the outside; but sweet on the inside.

Oh okay. I guess it's easy to understand, taking into consideration the status of the country and all (Many people do not acknowledge Israel as a state, for some reason) But thank you very much Lyric! :)

#39 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

Oh okay. I guess it's easy to understand, taking into consideration the status of the country and all (Many people do not acknowledge Israel as a state, for some reason) But thank you very much Lyric! :)

Lyric is not actually telling the entirely story. Israelis can be EXTREMELY nice and friendly to non-Jews. Especially if you are a tourist.

The time Israelis seem mean is when they are dealing with other Jews (they consider them family and so they will act a little more informally around us.) Also some might have some animosity toward more ultra-orthodox Jews like Lyric. So yes, you can expect rude Israelis but you can also expect very friendly and helpful ones!

Pinchas is right - micha

#40 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

Posted Imagestarwolf, on 04 October 2011 - 05:19 PM, said:

Pros:
Lots of work available
relatively easy job
no education required

Cons:
no pay
crummy coworkers
women need not apply

Actually you're WRONG on almost ALL counts, unless you limit yourself to Meah Shearim momish...

While there is lots of work available getting the jobs is quite competitive and the bigtime outfits have steady workers...

It's not so easy, you have to know where all the places to post are, know where NOT to post, look out for cops, municipal workers and irate citizens, and getting the poster to stick and STAY there is actually a semi-art form. I also happen to be one of the best glue makers in the WORLD...

While no education is required, both skill and knowledge are...

As for the cons:

The pay is actually excellent. On average I would take home anywhere around 600 NIS cash per night, tax free obviously... And we rarely pulled 8 hour shifts, and if we worked more than 9 there is overtime!

I enjoyed working with many of my coworkers and have many lasting friendships from such work... (I even worked more than a few times with Eden Natan Zada HY"D who was a model worker)

While it is not usual, I HAVE worked with chicks when there was no one else competent available, and the chicks are MUCH harder and diligent workers than any of the guys ive worked with. Hands down... They are also nuts and fearless...

The last is true, as is the risk of fines or arrest, but if you're good you can escape...

The world of flyer hangers. Sounds like a good idea for the setting of a movie or maybe a T.V. Series.

I bet you could write a great book of all your adventurers!

Pinchas is right - micha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: israel, judaism, non-jewish, moving, living

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users