• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

I have 2 days free on Chol Hamoed, Mon/Tues, and would like to vacation. No one that I'd vacation with has off, so I'm happy to go somewhere and enjoy myself alone. I wouldn't even mind renting a hotel room alone overnight and doing a 2 day activity. Any ideas? Within 2-3 hour drive of NY.

And no, I don't think vacationing alone is pathetic. I think it's a great way to recharge, and I'm happy to spend some time with myself. :)

#2 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Do you like nature? History? Art?

Also, what's your budget?

I really enjoyed hiking in Mohonk, and it's really non-isolated so it feels safe on your own, but if you're gonna stay on the resort overnight, it's $$$. (Of course there are plenty of other places to stay the night around there for $70.)
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#3 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

Do you like nature? History? Art?

Also, what's your budget?

I really enjoyed hiking in Mohonk, and it's really non-isolated so it feels safe on your own, but if you're gonna stay on the resort overnight, it's $$$. (Of course there are plenty of other places to stay the night around there for $70.)

Yes on nature. No on history. Yes on art. Maybe $200 for the trip? Is that doable?

#4 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Definitely doable (not thinking gas though). I spent a day over there: http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/.

There are also a ton of other places to hike that don't charge $12 -- Bez would be better equipped to name them. Depends on how comfortable you are hiking alone.

#5 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

go with Bez!
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#6 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

I once went hiking near Ellenville in them little bitty hills that some people call mountains.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#7 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Arent u married?
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#8 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

I liked the Corning Museum of glass in Corning NY. They have glassblowing demonstrations and you can make your own glass project (which they mail to you after it cools down). It might be farther than 3 hours from you though.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#9 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

If I was going by myself I would go to a spa or an exercise retreat.

Or go take a continuing education course in my field.

#10 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Arent u married?

You never heard of hitbodedut?

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#11 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

i have....
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman

#12 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

oy. where's moshe shmeal when you need him?
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#13 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

Arent u married?

Once you're married that means that you're always attached at the hip? I honestly never understood people who look confused when married people go away without each other sometimes. I went on an all girls' Memorial Day vacation for 3 nights, this past May - it was interesting to see the looks I got for being comfortable vacationing without my husband. Personally, I think it's a very healthy thing for a marriage, if you can manage it for other reasons (money, kids, etc.).

(You planning on bringing your wife to Uman with you every year?)

You never heard of hitbodedut?

:thumbsup:

#14 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

Personally, I do a lot of travelling. Nowhere near as much as I did prior to marriage, and certainly nowhere near as much as I did prior to having children. I like spending time with my family, and would not enjoy a solo vacation as much as one with the wife & kids. But not everyone is the same, and some folks need time alone. If one of the partners is one of those people, he/she should receive their space and the other partner should understand.

#15 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

I knew u were going to bring the Uman thing up.Uman isnt vacation..its like 24 hours yeshiva for a week non stop..serious avodah.. i know vacation is important..its just a lil random thats all.Have fun.

#16 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

I knew u were going to bring the Uman thing up.Uman isnt vacation..its like 24 hours yeshiva for a week non stop..serious avodah.. i know vacation is important..its just a lil random thats all.Have fun.

I can imagine Uman being a high and important experience for you, but for the majority of guys who go - it's a vacation.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#17 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

I can imagine Uman being a high and important experience for you, but for the majority of guys who go - it's a vacation.

this isn't an uman debate but that statements a bit presumptious. Do you think the majority of the 50,000 men who showed up in uman this year decided to shell out a small fortune to forgo their own beds, familiar food and quality time with their family in exchange for being crammed on mattresses in unpleasant facilities, communal dining halls, because they consider it a "vacation"? I'm sure at least 25,000 of those coming would realize you could get a far better vacation for the say 1.5 thou they are spending on their trip. Sorry for hijacking but i really can't stand hearing these accusations.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#18 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

this isn't an uman debate but that statements a bit presumptious. Do you think the majority of the 50,000 men who showed up in uman this year decided to shell out a small fortune to forgo their own beds, familiar food and quality time with their family in exchange for being crammed on mattresses in unpleasant facilities, communal dining halls, because they consider it a "vacation"? I'm sure at least 25,000 of those coming would realize you could get a far better vacation for the say 1.5 thou they are spending on their trip. Sorry for hijacking but i really can't stand hearing these accusations.

People shell out a small fortune to go to camp or to go camping all the time.

#19 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

People shell out a small fortune to go to camp or to go camping all the time.

not for 3 days you dont spend that kind of money. at least not most people. on that budget i can get you a far better camping trip.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#20 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

One's family might object to a camping trip for the guy on Rosh hashana, but feel compelled to let the guy go for a "spiritual experience". And while I do not doubt that for some it is a spiritual experience, for others it is an excuse to carouse, without which they would be stuck at home with the ol' ball-and-chain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users