• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

What's a good day activity near L.A. area? Something to do, let's say, from 11 AM - 5 PM. Or maybe a few small things put together. Not interested in theme parks or rides. (This time, with the hubby. :))

#2 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:30 PM

Has anyone done the South Bay Bike Trail?

#3 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:10 AM

Go birdwatching in Marina del Ray. It borders a huge wetland, and is the stopover of many migratory birds.

There are guided birdwatching programs:
http://beaches.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dbh/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hXAwMDd3-3YCMLP2NTA0-jMDcLY09ToJg5UD4SSd4g2NLMwDPYwNEyxMDNyCDEgIDucJB9OPX7O5vhlQebD5I3wAEcDdD0o7nAwEDfzyM_N1W_IDfCINNT1xEA5AyG0Q!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfRTAwMEdPRlMyTzQ0MzBJSTRJVkdUSDEwNDc!/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/dbh+content/dbh+site/home/marina+del+rey/parks/burton+w.+chace+park+-+mdr

At one time, you could rent a kayak (not recommended for the inexperienced) and do the birdwatching from there. I don't know if that is still possible.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#4 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

At one time, you could rent a kayak (not recommended for the inexperienced) and do the birdwatching from there. I don't know if that is still possible.

Kayaking is out if the question, unfortunately. Husband is severely hydrophobic. I like the bird watching idea, though.

You're a really helpful vacation planner. :) Thanks!

#5 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

Another alternative (which is possible to do on the same day) is just to go walking around Venice Beach.
Interesting place, probably the best surviving example of seedy surfer chic.....

Also a nice selection of sushi or vegan/ veggie restaurants if you go for that.....

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#6 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

Another alternative (which is possible to do on the same day) is just to go walking around Venice Beach.
Interesting place, probably the best surviving example of seedy surfer chic.....

Also a nice selection of sushi or vegan/ veggie restaurants if you go for that.....

Better than Santa Monica? That's what I'm leaning toward now, especially since it seems that the bike trail that I posted runs through it.

#7 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

More seedy than Santa Monica. Both are upscale, but I kind of think of Venice as seedier upscale, like certain parts of Greenwich village are seedy.

#8 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

The weather wasn't so nice in the morning, so we just ended up doing a Paramount Studios tour. And I got to see the GLEE set!

The teenage fan-girl frozen in time inside of me is still swooning... :wub:

#9 KeepCoolNY

KeepCoolNY

Masmid

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

The weather wasn't so nice in the morning, so we just ended up doing a Paramount Studios tour. And I got to see the GLEE set!

The teenage fan-girl frozen in time inside of me is still swooning... :wub:

Plus an LL Cool J sighting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users