• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Really? Raw veggies take so little time to deal with compared to cooking noodles or whatever. IMO. :)

BTW, I don't have a newborn, so my time is not nearly as hectic as yours. Totally different parsha.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#22 younglady

younglady

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

I give my kids raw veggies with most meals, especially if I am not serving any cooked veg. If I am too lazy to cut anything, I give them things like baby carrots, sugar snap peas, or even mini bell peppers (they eat around the seeds). But peeling and cutting a cucumber takes 30 seconds. And they gobble it up. And it gives me something to nosh on while they eat (I technically eat dinner later). They also like "salad bar" where I make bowls of different veggies and they can choose what they want on their plates.

Beans are healthy (and cheap). If your kids aren't into them, you could try doing wraps or fajitas or something where they can prepare them themselves to add an element of fun.
Love, commitment, and effort conquer almost all

#23 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Sleeping Beauty came at 4
Her eyes were filled with tears.
"Oh my," she said, "I overslept
About a hundred years."

(Mr. Cuckoo's Clock Shop)

#24 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Really? Raw veggies take so little time to deal with compared to cooking noodles or whatever. IMO. :)

I guess so. I guess i consider the other groups to be essential and the vegetables as a side dish seem to be extra. Its obviously psychological. As it happens, i pack my husband for work 2 full containers of sliced fruits and vegetables so if i can fit it into my hectic morning, i can obviously work it into my supper routine. Its just about changing my mindset.
Pasta ive actually been so brainwashed to consider an empty food, that i do try to cook whatever vegetables inside i could. In fact i suppose i often do add veggies to the main dish wherever i can. Its the idea of making two seperate dishes i suppose that scares me off.

I give my kids raw veggies with most meals, especially if I am not serving any cooked veg. If I am too lazy to cut anything, I give them things like baby carrots, sugar snap peas, or even mini bell peppers (they eat around the seeds). But peeling and cutting a cucumber takes 30 seconds. And they gobble it up. And it gives me something to nosh on while they eat (I technically eat dinner later). They also like "salad bar" where I make bowls of different veggies and they can choose what they want on their plates.

Beans are healthy (and cheap). If your kids aren't into them, you could try doing wraps or fajitas or something where they can prepare them themselves to add an element of fun.

My kids eat anything. Its me thats the problem. I really wish i liked beans :(
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#25 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I agree, raw vegetables are easy and also more appealing to kids (color and crunch) than frozen veggies (which shouldn't' be used as an introduction to vegetables IMVHO!). Plus you can prep them in advance when you have 2 minutes and leave them in the fridge in a ziploc or container.
I didn't read the whole thread but sweet potato oven fries go over very well here and it only takes 20 minutes or so on high (oh wait, can you get those where you live?)

Thats an idea. Sweet potatoes are usually available but since they are imported they naturally cost a bit more. Funny enough i just got a pack of sweet potatoes and discovered they are white inside.

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#26 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

I didn't read the whole thread but sweet potato oven fries go over very well here and it only takes 20 minutes or so on high (oh wait, can you get those where you live?)

I HATE cutting up sweet potatoes :(
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#27 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Oh they are so delicious! And so good for you! And they cook up so fast. I make them all the time, and make those whiskey-glazed sweet potatoes for shabbos OMG nomnomnom

#28 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Roasted veggies are also easy to prepare. Just toss with salt and oil, and put into the oven. Takes 45 seconds to prepare, then leave in oven for 10-20 minutes, depending on the veg.

Do it with mushrooms, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#29 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Roasted veggies are also easy to prepare. Just toss with salt and oil, and put into the oven. Takes 45 seconds to prepare, then leave in oven for 10-20 minutes, depending on the veg.

Ok so i just realized i have no issue preparing vegetables. My problem is with preparing 2 seperate things. I do that sometimes (yum) but put the chicken inside together with the veg.

So my aim should really be coming up with a variety of one pot meals that include lots of veggies. (stir fry isn't too popular here)

#30 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#31 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

I love soups especially now that winter is here. But kids aren't as into it....baby more than my older child. But thats a fun way to get some veggies in.

Also, a member here suggested 'egg muffins' (we named it that) which is scrambled eggs baked with whatever in a muffin tin. Easy, quick clean up and kids really love it. I thought my kids would pull out the mushrooms but they didnt. I think ill get a heart shaped pan to make it more fun...
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#32 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

As a kid I'd eat fruit if it was frozen. Frozen strawberries or grapes are a perfect nosh (though not breakfast), and they last longer than the day of their unfrozen counterparts.

Frozen grapes.... :wub:

#33 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

I love soups especially now that winter is here. But kids aren't as into it....baby more than my older child. But thats a fun way to get some veggies in.

Also, a member here suggested 'egg muffins' (we named it that) which is scrambled eggs baked with whatever in a muffin tin. Easy, quick clean up and kids really love it. I thought my kids would pull out the mushrooms but they didnt. I think ill get a heart shaped pan to make it more fun...

Soup for kids: soup nuts (yes not healthy but it makes it fun to eat), and straw bowls :)
I'm not sure i got that about the egg muffins. You scramble eggs, then bake them with what?

#34 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

Ok so i just realized i have no issue preparing vegetables. My problem is with preparing 2 seperate things. I do that sometimes (yum) but put the chicken inside together with the veg.

So my aim should really be coming up with a variety of one pot meals that include lots of veggies. (stir fry isn't too popular here)

I don't do stir fry's either, I don't love it when it's homemade. You can do one-pot meals. If you're baking chicken or meat, just spice some cut up veggies and dump it all in together.

Right, I remember this idea! I love it, and definitely want to implement it. Now my kid is a good eater, but filing the idea away for when she may become picky.

Soup for kids: soup nuts (yes not healthy but it makes it fun to eat), and straw bowls :)
I'm not sure i got that about the egg muffins. You scramble eggs, then bake them with what?

Scramble eggs in a cup, pour some into muffin tins and bake! They puff up and are individual little servings. If I understand LTL correctly, that is.

#35 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

Oh cool. That sounds really easy and no clean up.

#36 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

+ Zucchini.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#37 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

+ Zucchini.

I left out the most obvious one! Of course, zucchini and all squash varieties.

Btw - I second BL's point about not starting with frozen veggies. I don't like them, I rarely have it in the house. I use it for soups very rarely and nothing else. Not a fan.

#38 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Yup, croutons help Shaina eat it so in they go. Never did the straw bowls, cute idea

Scramble eggs in a cup, pour some into muffin tins and bake! They puff up and are individual little servings. If I understand LTL correctly, that is.

Yes, but spray pan first. each regular size muffin tin holds 1 egg per hole. They really are fun and easy to make and to eat and no clean up.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#39 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

at what temperature?

So you scramble them in a pot first or pour raw egg into the muffin tins?

I mean pan..

#40 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

at what temperature?

400/450

So you scramble them in a pot first or pour raw egg into the muffin tins?

I mean pan..

I've never done it yet, but I believe pour the raw beaten eggs into the tins directly. LTL's point is that there's no pan to wash afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users