cooking healthy

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

I've never done it yet, but I believe pour the raw beaten eggs into the tins directly.

right. and you can also include other ingredients -- e.g. mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, feta, etc. you can also replace all or some of the whole eggs with egg whites if you want to be "really healthy."
zinh.

#42 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

right. and you can also include other ingredients -- e.g. mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, feta, etc. you can also replace all or some of the whole eggs with egg whites if you want to be "really healthy."

I really like this idea, thanks!

#43 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

I wasn't planning on going this extreme healthy... but i had some chickpeas soaking on friday and was on the phone to my sister wondering what to do with them and she advised me to make brownies with them. She had just made a cake with beans and it went over really well. I decided to experiment (and i also remember bf mentioned once baking with beans), and i must say i can't get over the idea of it. None of my guests could beleive the brownies were made without any oil or flour and weren't able to figure out what its made out of. The texture was exactly right and it had a very slight coconuttie aftertaste but it was really good and definately something i would make again.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#44 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

recipe?
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#45 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

I wasn't planning on going this extreme healthy... but i had some chickpeas soaking on friday and was on the phone to my sister wondering what to do with them and she advised me to make brownies with them. She had just made a cake with beans and it went over really well. I decided to experiment (and i also remember bf mentioned once baking with beans), and i must say i can't get over the idea of it. None of my guests could beleive the brownies were made without any oil or flour and weren't able to figure out what its made out of. The texture was exactly right and it had a very slight coconuttie aftertaste but it was really good and definately something i would make again.

Chickpeas in brownies??? Taking the place of oil??? I have to get this recipe.

#46 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

I just googled it. I can't find the exact recipe i used but it was very similar to this except called for 1.5 cups chickpeas and 3/4 cup sugar then there was cinnamon inside, mine also called for only 30 minutes baking. Otherwise same idea:
www.grandmalous.com/recipes/chickpea_brownies.htm

Chickpea Brownies
1 1/2 cups
chocolate Chips
2 cups
Chickpeas, prepared
Eggs
1 cup
Sugar
1/2 tsp
Baking Powder

Prepare chickpeas.
Melt chocolate chips in
microwave for
approximately 2 minutes
stirring every 30 seconds.
In food processor combine
chickpeas and eggs - process
until very smooth.
Add in the sugar, baking
powder and melted chocolate
chips and process until well
blended.
Pour batter into a 9x13 inch
baking pan.
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#47 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

ANY amount of veggie is better than none. If you don't want to do salads and don't feel like cooking veggies, raw veggie platters put out with a dip or dressing go quickly with kids around. Pepper strips, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, cucumber strips, sometimes baby corn...it gets gobbled up.

Almost every night i cut up cucumbers, carrot, yellow pepper & either tomato or cherry tomato. It goes far better than salad and when kids aren't thrilled with supper, hey fill up on that. It generally takes about 5 minutes from start to finish.
A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#48 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

I tried the egg muffins, they were cute, but a little bland. I guess I need more spices next time.

#49 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

i made this the other night and it was suprirsing good. I was in the mood of cheesy something, so i sauteed onions, garlic and mushrooms (cant go wrong with those three!). added red peppers and green beans and threw in cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. Spiced with salt and pepper and it was ready in 10 minutes. Ate it with some heatlhy low carb cracker. Filling, healhty and very low in calories!!
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users