• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AMT

AMT

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Can somebody help me out, looking for the source for this quote:

""Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly NOW. Love mercy NOW. Walk humbly NOW. You are not obligated to complete the work but neither are you free to abandon it.” -Talmud"

Their attribution to "Talmud" doesn't really help much..

Does that sound familiar to anybody here?

#2 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

""Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly NOW. Love mercy NOW. Walk humbly NOW. You are not obligated to complete the work but neither are you free to abandon it.” -Talmud"

Their attribution to "Talmud" doesn't really help much..

Does that sound familiar to anybody here?

The bold is from Pirkei Avos (Ethics/Chapters of the Fathers) 2:16 http://hebrewbooks.o...36&st=&pgnum=33 i am not familiar with the rest of it
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#3 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Bolded part is a paraphrase of Michah 6:8.

#4 AMT

AMT

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Okay thanks!

In context, 2:21. "He used to say: It is not incumbent upon you to finish the task. Yet, you are not free to desist from it. If you have studied much in the Torah much reward will be given you, for faithful is your employer who shall pay you the reward of your labor. And know that the reward for the righteous shall be in the time to come. "

Is 'the work' the study of Torah, works of charity, or what?

#5 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Okay thanks!

In context, 2:21. "He used to say: It is not incumbent upon you to finish the task. Yet, you are not free to desist from it. If you have studied much in the Torah much reward will be given you, for faithful is your employer who shall pay you the reward of your labor. And know that the reward for the righteous shall be in the time to come. "

Is 'the work' the study of Torah, works of charity, or what?

I believe so
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

- Snag

#6 AMT

AMT

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

How does one "complete" Torah study?

#7 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

How does one "complete" Torah study?

One doesn't. One learns what they can.
The idea of the Mishna is, I believe, that success in ANYTHING is ultimately up to a Higher Power (I.e. God) and our job is just to try our best.

- Snag

#8 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

I believe so

You haven't answered his question.

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"
--------------
"You underestimate the power of the dark side!"-Lord Vader
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"-Lord Vader
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#9 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

One doesn't. One learns what they can.

That's not technically correct. There is a finite amount of Torah text. However,learning it becomes endless because there is always more being discovered through deeper understanding.

--------------
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#10 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

You haven't answered his question.

Sure I did. I believe that it is the case in all of the examples s/he listed.

That's not technically correct. There is a finite amount of Torah text. However,learning it becomes endless because there is always more being discovered through deeper understanding.

There is a finite amount of text, but one never /completes/ Torah study. The Torah itself is infinte

- Snag

#11 AMT

AMT

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Okay thanks again.

#12 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

there's an interesting passage by the leshem, where he says that while in the nigleh of Torah one can only be mechadesh in 'eichus' (quality, added explanation), in nistar one has the ability to be mechadesh in kamus (quantity) as well, meriting chiddushim which were not revealed to previous generations.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#13 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

there's an interesting passage by the leshem, where he says that while in the nigleh of Torah one can only be mechadesh in 'eichus' (quality, added explanation), in nistar one has the ability to be mechadesh in kamus (quantity) as well, meriting chiddushim which were not revealed to previous generations.

Forgive my ignorance. The who?

--------------

#14 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Forgive my ignorance. The who?

rabbi shlomo elyashiv, the author of leshem shevo v'achlama. lived in lithuania about 150-200 years ago (grandfather of the current rav elyashiv). considered to be one of the great lithuanian kabbalists of his generation.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users