• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

Anyone here been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease or know someone well who has been diagnosed? How do/es you/this person live on a daily basis with this?

#2 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

A relative of mine was diagnosed shortly after her wedding. If you'd like i can get you in touch with her. I had them for shabbos twice (would have them more if they lived any closer) and the cooking took a tiny bit more thought than usual but wasn't complicated at all. Otherwise thats my only interaction with celiac.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#3 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

I have a few friends with coeliac, and one whose gone gluten free for similar reasons. Itws not that bad
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#4 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

You live on a daily basis with this disease just as you do with many other chronic diseases: by being continually ware of the problem, and changing your lifestyle accordingly.

It is difficult, especially for children, who often cannot understand why they cannot enjoy the things that their friends do.

However, there are more and more products available that ensure that people with the disease can live a normal lifestyle. Stores carry dozens of products for sufferers of the disease. Once people found out that there is a market, the number of products just exploded.

for example, there is a smartphone app that gives locations of restaurants with gluten-free menus near your location! Is that cool or what?

bottom line--it's not the best hand to be dealt, but it ain't aces and eights, either.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#5 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

I can't resist pointing out, although this is not about celiac disease, that I can diagnose gluten sensitivity just by looking at a person's personality.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#6 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

I can't resist pointing out, although this is not about celiac disease, that I can diagnose gluten sensitivity just by looking at a person's personality.

Do tell. :unsure:

My friend's kid has Celiac and she stockpiles Pesach cookies.

#7 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Do tell. :unsure:

My friend's kid has Celiac and she stockpiles Pesach cookies.

I already said that I am not talking about celiac.
One good sign - if the person talks about the yummy quinoa recipe they just got from their yoga instructor, they might be sensitive to gluten.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#8 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

I already said that I am not talking about celiac.

Yes, I know.

One good sign - if the person talks about the yummy quinoa recipe they just got from their yoga instructor, they might be sensitive to gluten.

Or they might be into fads. :unsure:

#9 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

Well, you get bonus sympathy points on Pesach by pointing out to people that you eat like this all year!

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#10 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

I can diagnose gluten sensitivity just by looking at a person's personality.

Dude--that ain't looking at someone's personality, that's looking at their Birkenstocks.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#11 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

Wow, you should drop out of law school now.
I would bet you that if there's any correlation between celiac and yoga/quinoa/etc it's insignificant.

#12 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I know.

Or they might be into fads. :unsure:

Exactly. Which is why they are likely to be sensitive to gluten.

Wow, you should drop out of law school now.
I would bet you that if there's any correlation between celiac and yoga/quinoa/etc it's insignificant.

I'm thinking of dropping out for other reasons. Legal Research and Writing comes to mind. But I very specifically said that I was NOT referring to celiac, just to gluten sensitivity.

#13 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

Isn't one sort of related to the other? Celiac and gluten sensitivitty, that is. Not Sweet and Razie.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#14 peeptoad

peeptoad

Masmid

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Isn't one sort of related to the other? Celiac and gluten sensitivitty, that is.

Yes. And there are some schools of thought that believe gluten sensitivity is celiac disease that hasn't progressed to the point where it shows up on the lab tests. The blood tests have about a 25% false-negative rate, incidentally.

Living with celiac/gluten sensitivity is pretty simple since there are gf alternatives for practically everything. The only thing I occasionally miss is a baguette.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users