Shabbat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ester

Ester

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Then ADONAI said this to me: "Go, and stand at the People's Gate, where the kings of Y'hudah go in and out, and at all the gates of Yerushalayim; and say to them: 'Kings of Y'hudah, all Y'hudah and all living in Yerushalayim who enter through these gates, hear the word of ADONAI! Here is what ADONAI says: "If you value your lives, don't carry anything on Shabbat or bring it in through the gates of Yerushalayim; don't carry anything out of your houses on Shabbat; and don't do any work. Instead, make Shabbat a holy day. I ordered your ancestors to do this, but they neither listened nor paid attention; rather, they stiffened their necks, so that they wouldn't have to hear or receive instruction. However, if you will pay careful heed to me," says ADONAI "and carry nothing through the gates of this city on Shabbat, but instead make Shabbat a day which is holy and not for doing work; then kings and princes occupying the throne of David will enter through the gates of this city, riding in chariots and on horses. They, their princes, the people of Y'hudah and the inhabitants of Yerushalayim will enter; and this city will be inhabited forever. They will come from the cities of Y'hudah, from the places surrounding Yerushalayim, from the land of Binyamin, from the Sh'felah, from the hills and from the Negev, bringing burnt offerings, sacrifices, grain offerings, frankincense and thanksgiving sacrifices to the house of ADONAI. But if you will not obey me and make Shabbat a holy day and not carry loads through the gates of Yerushalayim on Shabbat, then I will set its gates on fire; it will burn up the palaces of Yerushalayim and not be quenched."'" Yirmeyahu (Jeremiah) 17:19-27.
Here is the final conclusion, now that you have heard everything: fear God, and keep his mitzvot; this is what being human is all about. For God will bring to judgment everything we do, including every secret, whether good or bad. [Here is the final conclusion, now that you have heard everything: fear God, and keep his mitzvot; this is what being human is all about.]
Kohelet (Ecclesiastes) 12:13-14.

Shalom!

#2 daniel.nazar

daniel.nazar

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Good advice. The mind needs time to recover from over-stimulation. But this previous sentence is hardly as powerful and moving as above.

Then I must also imagine that in ancient times, when people did not have all this gadgetry, their thoughts and feelings must have felt altogether different in some qualitative way. A day without these new things allows you to approach that ancient mindset again, which is probably a very healthy thing when put in contrast with how people live now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users