#21 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Sure. Love the truth, hate the sinner............ Wait, did I make that up? :p

Dunno.

Btw, there's only one h person that I really actively dislike at a personal level at this time. You are not that person. Anyone I currently actively respond to is not that person, even if my responses are combative. I do not engage with the person I dislike and am blind to that person's posts. Someone I strongly dislike is not worth my time or attention. That's generally how I've dealt with anyone in my life that I've disliked - they become non-entities to me. It works for me. I might think some other people here are nuts or stupid or clueless or whatever, but that wouldn't merit strong dislike either.

#22 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Btw, there's only one h person that I really actively dislike at a personal level at this time.

That would be ... drum roll.. wait for it...

ME !

(taking a bow)
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#23 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

That would be ... drum roll.. wait for it...

ME !

(taking a bow)

Lordy, no. Not you. You are largely harmless and you're actually quite pleasant lately. Let's not make this a guessing game though.

#24 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

Lordy, no. Not you. You are largely harmless and you're actually quite pleasant lately. Let's not make this a guessing game though.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

#25 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Dunno.

Btw, there's only one h person that I really actively dislike at a personal level at this time. You are not that person. Anyone I currently actively respond to is not that person, even if my responses are combative. I do not engage with the person I dislike and am blind to that person's posts. Someone I strongly dislike is not worth my time or attention. That's generally how I've dealt with anyone in my life that I've disliked - they become non-entities to me. It works for me. I might think some other people here are nuts or stupid or clueless or whatever, but that wouldn't merit strong dislike either.

Okay.

#26 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

If Imma drink first thing in the morning, it ain't gonna be wine...
[/flirting]

#27 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Sheesh guys, calm it. I ended up in the curious position today of drinking wine with breakfast (I wanted grapefruit juice, but we were out, and I saw the wine and decided, on whim, to have some [it was flat, if you're interested]). This made me wonder, half seriously, if anyone actually drinks wine (or other alcohol) with breakfast. While I didn't really expect anyone to seriously answer yes, I figured that it couldn't hurt to throw this out here in case some of the strange people on here were odd in this aspect too. I figured there might actually be people who do things beyond my comprehension or imagination -- there are people who eat meat for breakfast, after all.

So eilu v'eilu, Razie + Sav. You were both right. I was serious, but also silly and pseudo-random. And I did get a couple of interesting comments in response (Bez, rvn), so it wasn't entirely useless.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#28 goyishrebbe

goyishrebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

If I recall, Pirke Avot says it's a bad practice to consume alcohol early in the day. So, AM wine is something not encouraged---except for kiddush.

#29 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

If I recall, Pirke Avot says it's a bad practice to consume alcohol early in the day. So, AM wine is something not encouraged---except for kiddush.

Interesting. I don't remember this, and would love a source.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#30 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

A mimosa is made with champage. Champagne and a fizzy white white are pretty similar.

I'd LOVE to put some Kahlua in my coffee or hot chocolate in the Am !!

Sometimes i put a bit of chocolate liquer into mh's coffee.

While not absolutely forbidding wine on other occasions outside of Shabbat/Yom Tov, the Torah does discourage it. Historically Jews have drunk very little it is only with a decline in generations that we see casual or heavy drinking showing up in our communities.

I'd be curious where you came up with this. If anything wine as a casual drink was more accepted in the past than it is today.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#31 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

Unless you can quote the exact passage, you remember incorrectly.

#32 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Sometimes i put a bit of chocolate liquer into mh's coffee.

thats a great idea!
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#33 Mimi

Mimi

Gabbai

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

Unless you can quote the exact passage, you remember incorrectly.

"R. Dosa b. Harkinas said: Morning sleep and midday wine and children’s talk and sitting in the meeting houses of the ignorant people put a man out of the world." (3:14)

#34 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

"R. Dosa b. Harkinas said: Morning sleep and midday wine and children’s talk and sitting in the meeting houses of the ignorant people put a man out of the world." (3:14)

Midday ain't morning. :)

#35 Mimi

Mimi

Gabbai

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

True.

#36 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#37 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

kal v'chomer.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#38 rvn2590

rvn2590

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

I'd be curious where you came up with this. If anything wine as a casual drink was more accepted in the past than it is today.

Mishley (Proverbs) 23:20
"Do not be among wine-guzzlers, among gluttonous eaters of meat for themselves."
Mezudath David explains: "for their own pleasure, not for the enjoyment of the Sabbath and Festivals".
Eliyahu Rabbah (ch26) limits even the consumption of meat and wine on the Sabbath.
טובה הארץ מאד מאד

Rav Tal "The evil forces of the world are the leftists who act against sanctity."

#39 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

For those who make kiddush shabbos morning, are they drinking wine or using grape juice?

We eat before davening so it's not a discussion for us. and by that time, it's not morning any longer.

#40 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

I've seen wine and shnapps (along with herring, cholent and kugel) served around 9:45 a.m., after hashkama minyan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users