Photo

Should there be a Holocaust Memorial Museum in NYC?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Should there be a Holocaust Museum in NYC (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a Holocaust Museum in NYC?

1. Yes I believe there should be. (6 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No I do not think there should be one. (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I do not know. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Thadius

Thadius

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

Personally I believe there should be one. I know that there already is one in Washington D.C. but I don't feel as though one is enough. The more memories we save the longer lasting those memories will be.

#2 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

There sort-of is one, in Battery Park.
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#3 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Meet ?

It's a very nice museum that does not get a lot of traffic. And they have a Kosher restaurant.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#4 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

i'm unsure as to the meaning of the question. if a holocaust museum was being proposed and opposed, and the question "should there be a holocaust memorial in nyc" was asked to me, i'd likely say yes (absent specific reasons for opposition). but in the absence of any such proposal, as an absolute, should there be a holocaust memorial in nyc? eh...
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#5 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

There are enough Holocaust memorials as is, I think.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#6 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

What I found odd about the holocaust museums is that they charge money to enter. And it's usually like $15 or more. Most museums I have been to are either free or just charge a couple bucks. Most of their money comes from donations and philanthropists.

I walked into one in Tampa and thought it was free then the guy stopped me asking for money and I just walked out. Why would I pay to see that? It seems kind of egotistical. "woe is me, behold how much I have suffered. By the way you have to pay to come to my pity party". Who pays for this stuff? And the funny thing I didn't see any Jews attending the museum. It looked like mostly tourist.

Holocaust museums are also pretty much the only negative museums around. I think though a long time ago I was at a regular museum and they had some holocaust section in it as well. I'm surprised there isn't one in New York.

#7 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

DS saw the DC Holocaust museum as a young teen and liked it very much. Said he enjoyed seeing all the torahs. He didn't come home with a negative feeling at all.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

#8 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

What I found odd about the holocaust museums is that they charge money to enter. And it's usually like $15 or more. Most museums I have been to are either free or just charge a couple bucks. Most of their money comes from donations and philanthropists.

I walked into one in Tampa and thought it was free then the guy stopped me asking for money and I just walked out. Why would I pay to see that? It seems kind of egotistical. "woe is me, behold how much I have suffered. By the way you have to pay to come to my pity party". Who pays for this stuff? And the funny thing I didn't see any Jews attending the museum. It looked like mostly tourist.

Holocaust museums are also pretty much the only negative museums around. I think though a long time ago I was at a regular museum and they had some holocaust section in it as well. I'm surprised there isn't one in New York.

It may have escaped you, but the primary purpose of a Holocaust museum is to educate, not to entertain..

Maybe if you had shown your official Stormfront membership card, they would have given you a discount.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#9 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:02 AM

Meet ?

It's a very nice museum that does not get a lot of traffic. And they have a Kosher restaurant.

It's open on Shabbos.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#10 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

It's OK, Pinchas. I wasn't serious about a Meet; I'm not going anyplace that has you around. You're a bigot and very short-sighted.

#11 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

It's OK, Pinchas. I wasn't serious about a Meet; I'm not going anyplace that has you around. You're a bigot and very short-sighted.

:o
[/flirting]

#12 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Ouch. I sure hope you don't take everything I say seriously. (Just like you weren't serious about a meet.) Peace.

Really, totally uncalled for.

Pinchas is right - micha

#13 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Just don't insult Lubavitchers and no one gets hurt.

#14 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I only insult the crazy moshiach ones.

Otherwise some of my best friends are chabadniks.

Pinchas is right - micha

#15 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

I don't care. You're mean. And you don't speak nicely. :(

#16 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Sorry you feel that way.

I do like you and everyohe here.

Pinchas is right - micha

0 user(s) are reading this topic