• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Why is the entire New York City obsessed with it?
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#2 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

You have to be at least somewhat elitist/snobby/financially well-off to shop there.

#3 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

You have to be at least somewhat elitist/snobby/financially well-off to shop there.

That is my thought as well, but is everyone in NYC elitist / snobby / rich?
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#4 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

Why is the entire New York City obsessed with it?

I'm not obsessed with it. :unsure:

#5 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

Yes.

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

http://en.wikipedia....ary_subculture)
[/flirting]

#7 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

They ave yet to experience Trader Joe's

They have yet to experience Trader Joe's.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#8 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

What is the difference between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods? I hear people talking about the two places with awe in their voices.

I love Pomegranate, so I assume I fall into the same elitist category. There's nothing like shopping for apples and a lemon and chancing upon 13 different types of mushrooms. :dreaming:
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#9 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

They ave yet to experience Trader Joe's.

Shopped in Trader Joe's once. Was not impressed.

#10 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Shopped in Trader Joe's once. Was not impressed.

ditto.
zinh.

#11 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

They ave yet to experience Trader Joe's

They have yet to experience Trader Joe's.

Trader Joes is probably the most overhyped store I can think of. It's awful.

What is the difference between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods? I hear people talking about the two places with awe in their voices.

Trader Joes is less expensive, and they have an image of selling "healthy" food. In reality, most of their stuff is their own branded garbage, there is little to no organic (compared to WF or even a well-stocked grocery), their produce is often less than fantastic, and most of what they sell isn't healthier than what you'd buy elsewhere. So they are basically a limited grocery with good PR and a few products that people seem to love (like their frozen pizza dough, or their chocolate).

Whole Foods also tries to project an image of health and social consciousness. They sell a much wider variety of produce/product and a lot more organic/sustainable/cruelty-free items. They're also extremely expensive compared to many other groceries, and people often don't like the fact that their organic products come from large-scale producers instead of local farmers.

#12 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Also, people like their paper bags. They look cool.

#13 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

What about Fairway? The one in Redhook has awesome breads, and with a hechsher.

#14 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

I like Trader Joes. IMO, their produce is beautiful, they have lots of kosher products, and they are cheap(er). You cant do a full grocery shopping there though, at least for me, its just a supplement.

Whole foods, is more of a food shopping experience, its expensive, and you feel healthy just shopping there.

I fear for my life in fairway.

And yes, the chocolate truffles they have now in trader joes for the holidays are amazing.

#15 BroadwayFreak

BroadwayFreak

It's garden season!

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

I like Trader Joe's a lot. I love their junk food (which I rarely buy, but love to look at), the tomato soup, coconut milk, tomato sauce, and a few other items. Their price on whole wheat pasta is very good, as is the coconut milk, and several other products. I only have a few items that are staples there for me, but it's on the way to the gym, so it's easy for me to stop there.

I love grocery stores in general. I treat them like museums and love to look around. For me, Wegman's is the most fun, followed by Trader Joes, and then Whole Foods.
"Evereything in moderation (except beer)."
-Cholentpot

#16 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

I love American grocery stores. They're like Alladin's cave to me.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#17 Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate

Gabbai

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

:lol:
That makes me laugh. I have been saying for years that New Yorkers are all snobby elitist. Glad you finally realized this...
“The danger of ancient liberty was that men, exclusively concerned with securing their share of social power, might attach too little value to individual rights and enjoyments. The danger of modern liberty is that, absorbed in the enjoyment of our private independence, and in the pursuit of our particular interests, we should surrender our right to share in political power too easily. The holders of authority are only too anxious to encourage us to do so. They are so ready to spare us all sort of troubles, except those of obeying and paying! They will say to us: what, in the end, is the aim of your efforts, the motive of your labours, the object of all your hopes? Is it not happiness? Well, leave this happiness to us and we shall give it to you. No, Sirs, we must not leave it to them. No matter how touching such a tender commitment may be, let us ask the authorities to keep within their limits. Let them confine themselves to being just. We shall assume the responsibility of being happy for ourselves.”
-Benjamin Constant

#18 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Of course there are poor people in NY, but if they get city programs, they often live better then those of us who work for a (menial) living, and cetainly have more disposable income.

Kids of friends on programs got braces, for example; my kids never that that. It was noted in shul that those bidding high amount for Maftir Yona, etc., were those on prgrams, not those who worked for a living.

That said, if I am near a TJ, I will buy as much as I can carry. WF, I have to be more descriminating.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users