Kiddush
Pita bread (Actually lafa bread)
Chicken Soup

A typical Tamani Shabbos Lunch consists of:

Kiddush
Pita bread (Actually lafa bread)
A meat/bean stew (without potatoes.)

The Rambam was a doctor.

Depends on the family. I have certainly been to Yemenite households where I was expected to eat 1/2 a chicken at the meal.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#42 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

People bond and celebrate over food. And they have to eat anyway. What's the big deal about eating together, if the food isn't absolute crud?

Is it better when people have a big Thanksgiving dinner with family, but grab a holiday lunch from McDonald's?

Yes.

You don't need to "bond communally" twice a day for 3 days.

There is bound to be overeating if you do.

#43 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

Especially white bread (i.e., challah).

Challah comes in Whole wheat format as well. (I eat this type usually.)

Depends on the family. I have certainly been to Yemenite households where I was expected to eat 1/2 a chicken at the meal.

Then they weren't Baladi. :)

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#44 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

"Grab a salad" or "grab a sandwich". Whatever. What I mean is that it can be a simple meal for lunch if one is going to have an elaborate communal meal for dinner.

So again, how precisely are we convincing people to change their eating habits? An ad in the paper or that army of nurses you were going to pay for out of your own pocket?

#45 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

So again, how precisely are we convincing people to change their eating habits? An ad in the paper or that army of nurses you were going to pay for out of your own pocket?

It won't happen.

The American government itself can't get people to lose weight. It's very difficult where so much yummy food is so easily available.

I would try to put more of an emphasis on exercise.

Pinchas is right - micha

#46 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

Many Ashkenazi Jews have Type 2 diabetes in their family.
In other words, as we get older (type 2 usually strikes in middle age) we are more likely to develop this.
Many of us may be "pre-diabetic" and not even realize it. (Symptoms are subtle - some fatigue, insulin resistance-difficulty losing weight, concentration of weight around the middle, etc.)
For a pre-diabetic, bread should really be avoided. Especially white bread (i.e., challah). Especially on a weekly, daily, or (heaven forbid) twice daily basis.

Diabetics need to eat a balanced diet, not necessarily avoid carbs altogether. and again, a kazayit of bread is not a few slices of challah.There is no problem with a diabetic (depending on his/her numbers) eating 15 grams of whole-grain bread during a meal-- which should leave enough for another small serving of carbs. This will certainly satisfy halachic requirements, although perhaps not appetitive ones.....

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#47 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Yes.

You don't need to "bond communally" twice a day for 3 days.

There is bound to be overeating if you do.

You don't "need" to bond communally once a day for 3 days either. But removing it is removing something more fundamental than gala on the menu.

And no, there isn't bound to be overeating if you do, if you space and serve things properly.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#48 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Then they weren't Baladi. :)

Ever date a girl from one of the original families to settle in Kiryat Eqron?
Don't tell me about baladi......

#49 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Diabetics need to eat a balanced diet, not necessarily avoid carbs altogether. and again, a kazayit of bread is not a few slices of challah.There is no problem with a diabetic (depending on his/her numbers) eating 15 grams of whole-grain bread during a meal-- which should leave enough for another small serving of carbs. This will certainly satisfy halachic requirements, although perhaps not appetitive ones.....

I agree that diabetics don't need to avoid carbs altogether.
But diabetics and prediabetics SHOULD avoid white bread.
How many Shabbos meals that you go to have whole grain challah?

#50 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

You didn't ask me, but quite a few, and it's been increasing over the past few years, together with awareness.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#51 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

So first off, you were not keeping the mitzvah of challah, and second you were essentially starving yourself.

No, I frequently don't keep the mitzvah of challah.

And no, a slice of fish and salad is a frequent meal for me, that is not "starving myself" by far. You could use a nutrition class yourself, m'dear.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#52 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Ever date a girl from one of the original families to settle in Kiryat Eqron?
Don't tell me about baladi......

Actually... I'll PM you...

Pinchas is right - micha

#53 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

No, I frequently don't keep the mitzvah of challah.

And I frequently eat cheeseburgers! Awesome! High five!

And no, a slice of fish and salad is a frequent meal for me, that is not "starving myself" by far. You could use a nutrition class yourself, m'dear.

I have taken a nutrition class, honey bunches, and if you're pairing that with coffee for breakfast, and a small meal for dinner, I'm not even seeing 1200 calories, which is essentially starvation.

It won't happen.

The American government itself can't get people to lose weight. It's very difficult where so much yummy food is so easily available.

I would try to put more of an emphasis on exercise.

So we're going to deploy an army of personal trainers then?

#54 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

In my circles, quite a few folks use whole wheat or other whole grain challah.
But I guess that I don't belong to the "heimish" community.

#55 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

So we're going to deploy an army of personal trainers then?

How about motzie shabbos "swim and gym" programs? Or M"S basketball or volleyball leagues?

Pinchas is right - micha

#56 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

How about motzie shabbos "swim and gym" programs? Or M"S basketball or volleyball leagues?

Once a week is not an effective exercise regimen. Not to mention that it's well known that people don't stick to exercise programs any better than they stick to diets.

#57 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

I agree. Fish and a salad is a fine meal for anyone.
I often eat a green salad with a can of tuna for lunch, usually with a (teaspoonful) sprinkle of either crushed walnuts or sunflowers.

And I frequently eat cheeseburgers! Awesome! High five!

I have taken a nutrition class, honey bunches, and if you're pairing that with coffee for breakfast, and a small meal for dinner, I'm not even seeing 1200 calories, which is essentially starvation.

First of all 1200 calories a day is certainly not "starvation".
Many women eat that much per day in order to maintain a low to average/healthy weight.

However, having one meal a day (let's say lunch) that is just fish and a salad, along with a healthy/larger breakfast and dinner, would be more than 1200 calories per day in any case.

#58 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

I agree. Fish and a salad is a fine meal for anyone.
I often eat a green salad with a can of tuna for lunch, usually with a (teaspoonful) sprinkle of either crushed walnuts or sunflowers.

If I didn't think that you and Belle were women before, you've certainly amply demonstrated it now. Love how you cannot acknowledge that men (particularly) don't want to eat like rabbits or birds and have larger caloric needs than women.

#59 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Once a week is not an effective exercise regimen. Not to mention that it's well known that people don't stick to exercise programs any better than they stick to diets.

It'll burn off the calories from the Shabbos... and they'll stick to it if there are leagues...

Pinchas is right - micha

#60 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

Some families choose to serve healthier dishes. Whole wheat challah, avacado dip instead of a mayo based one, large green salads, smaller portions of cholent (or those made with chicken or turkey rather than beef), serving a scoop of sorbet for dessert rather than cakes and cookies etc. It can be done.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users