Thanksgiving

do you do a traditional meal?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

What do you do for Thanksgiving? Make a meal? Go to a meal? Make turkey the day after, to thumb your nose at it? Ignore the whole hoopla?

#2 rvn2590

rvn2590

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

What do you do for Thanksgiving? Make a meal? Go to a meal? Make turkey the day after, to thumb your nose at it? Ignore the whole hoopla?

I don't do Thanksgiving a goyish holiday. As a single individual, I often get invitations for meals for Shabbat. Some I know serve Turkey meat as part of the Shabbat seudah every time this year . I make sure when that is the case to not eat any Turkey served and just eat the other dishes.
טובה הארץ מאד מאד

Rav Tal "The evil forces of the world are the leftists who act against sanctity."

#3 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

I don't do Thanksgiving a goyish holiday. As a single individual, I often get invitations for meals for Shabbat. Some I know serve Turkey meat as part of the Shabbat seudah every time this year . I make sure when that is the case to not eat any Turkey served and just eat the other dishes.

I think you should just eat the turkey (why do you capitalize it, pray tell?) and chant under your breath, "This is l'kavod Shabbos not that goyish holiday" over and over again between bites.
Posted Image

#4 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

I celebrate Thanksgiving by starting a new thread or two about it each year, as well as bumping old ones.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#5 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

I think you should just eat the turkey (why do you capitalize it, pray tell?) and chant under your breath, "This is l'kavod Shabbos not that goyish holiday" over and over again between bites.

And there's cranberry sauce, smear it on the doorposts.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

Sometimes "Shabbos Thanksgiving" if my hosts have a sense of humor...

But KR NEVER refuses Pumpkin Pie :wub:
[/flirting]

#7 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

I love Thanksgiving. If for nothing else, why ignore a chance to get together with family and eat a yummy meal. If Christmas wasn't such a religious issue, I'd celebrate it as well. It's such a "feel-good" holiday. Except for the Jesus overall theme. That sort of ruins it for me. I do still love Christmas music. It even puts me in the holiday/winter/feel good mood.

#8 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

this

:huh:
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#9 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

My favorite meal would be corn bread, turkey, stuffing, gravy, (smooth) cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie (or pecan pie).

#10 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

I make GREAT cornbread. Mmmmm
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#11 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#12 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

I go visit my awesomest friend and eat too much food with her. :wub:
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#13 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

I go visit my awesomest friend and eat too much food with her. :wub:

I wait for you to come back with a box of leftovers for me. :wub:
Posted Image

#14 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I wait for you to come back with a box of leftovers for me. :wub:

She will consider sending some if you come to the airport with a box of chocolates for the chef and messenger. :wub:
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#15 Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate

Gabbai

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

football, Football, FOOTBALL!!!!!!!! Who cares about food and family? There's football to watch...
The danger of ancient liberty was that men, exclusively concerned with securing their share of social power, might attach too little value to individual rights and enjoyments. The danger of modern liberty is that, absorbed in the enjoyment of our private independence, and in the pursuit of our particular interests, we should surrender our right to share in political power too easily. The holders of authority are only too anxious to encourage us to do so. They are so ready to spare us all sort of troubles, except those of obeying and paying! They will say to us: what, in the end, is the aim of your efforts, the motive of your labours, the object of all your hopes? Is it not happiness? Well, leave this happiness to us and we shall give it to you. No, Sirs, we must not leave it to them. No matter how touching such a tender commitment may be, let us ask the authorities to keep within their limits. Let them confine themselves to being just. We shall assume the responsibility of being happy for ourselves.
-Benjamin Constant

#16 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

She will consider sending some if you come to the airport with a box of chocolates for the chef and messenger. :wub:

:rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users