• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

Do you use regular cleaning products at home, or do you purchase (or even DIY) "green" or non-toxic/organic cleaning products?

Do you find that organic products work as well as Ajax or Clorox, etc?

I would like to switch over and throw out our truly toxic products.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#2 Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate

Gabbai

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I find the organic/non-toxic stuff doesn't work at all. I have learned to avoid them.
“The danger of ancient liberty was that men, exclusively concerned with securing their share of social power, might attach too little value to individual rights and enjoyments. The danger of modern liberty is that, absorbed in the enjoyment of our private independence, and in the pursuit of our particular interests, we should surrender our right to share in political power too easily. The holders of authority are only too anxious to encourage us to do so. They are so ready to spare us all sort of troubles, except those of obeying and paying! They will say to us: what, in the end, is the aim of your efforts, the motive of your labours, the object of all your hopes? Is it not happiness? Well, leave this happiness to us and we shall give it to you. No, Sirs, we must not leave it to them. No matter how touching such a tender commitment may be, let us ask the authorities to keep within their limits. Let them confine themselves to being just. We shall assume the responsibility of being happy for ourselves.”
-Benjamin Constant

#3 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

We use the non-toxic stuff (e.g. from Trader Joe's). Works just fine for most daily tasks (e.g. dishwashing soaps, household cleaners, detergents, shampoos, toothpaste, etc.). They fail for some extra-tough tasks, but those are not so common and so I have no problem using toxic stuff on those rare occasions. As with everything, some brands are better than others.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#4 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

I use Clorox Greenworks for most all-purpose cleaning. My cleaning lady claims it's better than the other stuff, like Mr. Clean. There are also things that clean better than cleaners, but you have to know what's what. Making a paste out of baking soda, shmearing it in a dirty oven, and leaving it overnight before wiping the oven clean is a great alternative to toxic oven cleaners. Vinegar makes a very good cleaning solvent, but it doesn't have a pleasant smell (I use it to clean my guinea pigs' cage). Lemon juice works well on some things too.
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#5 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

I buy what is cheapest and works the best... Maybe if I had babbys running around I'd be more careful, but I don't think I will accidentally drink any bleach...
[/flirting]

#6 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

We use the non-toxic stuff (e.g. from Trader Joe's). Works just fine for most daily tasks (e.g. dishwashing soaps, household cleaners, detergents, shampoos, toothpaste, etc.). They fail for some extra-tough tasks, but those are not so common and so I have no problem using toxic stuff on those rare occasions. As with everything, some brands are better than others.

what do you consider "extra tough tasks?" My husband is ok with me using a natural glass cleaner, but when my oven and stove are dirty (which is always), he insists we need the hard core stuff to clean it, and then it ends up being often and not rare.

I use Clorox Greenworks for most all-purpose cleaning. My cleaning lady claims it's better than the other stuff, like Mr. Clean. There are also things that clean better than cleaners, but you have to know what's what. Making a paste out of baking soda, shmearing it in a dirty oven, and leaving it overnight before wiping the oven clean is a great alternative to toxic oven cleaners. Vinegar makes a very good cleaning solvent, but it doesn't have a pleasant smell (I use it to clean my guinea pigs' cage). Lemon juice works well on some things too.

I should try homemade stuff.

I buy what is cheapest and works the best... Maybe if I had babbys running around I'd be more careful, but I don't think I will accidentally drink any bleach...

My sister drank bleach when she was 2.

But anyway, it's not only the questionable ingesting, it's also the fumes that bother me.

#7 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

i don't. I once tried making orange cleaner but its just not the same. I need my toxic products. I have a shelf above my bathroom door which i can barely reach while standing on a chair where i keep these products. There is no way the kids can get them. As to the fumes, what good is a clean house that doesn't still smell of cleaning products? :)

a great product to have though is a magic sponge. I let the kids help me clean the oven with it.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#8 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

As to the fumes, what good is a clean house that doesn't still smell of cleaning products? :)

There's a difference between the lemony smell of floor cleaner and the smell of bleach or Ajax, no?

#9 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

I need my toxic products.... As to the fumes, what good is a clean house that doesn't still smell of cleaning products? :)

:agree:

#10 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:59 AM

There's a difference between the lemony smell of floor cleaner and the smell of bleach or Ajax, no?

i don't get what you're asking. I love the smell of bleach if thats what you mean.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#11 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

i don't get what you're asking. I love the smell of bleach if thats what you mean.

I meant that some people love the smell of moderately-toxic cleansing agents, like lemony scents, etc, "breezy" scents like detergents, etc. Bleach is erosive, corrosive and highly toxic, I can't imagine anyone loving that smell in their home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users