• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

do you have any of the above? Which and why? Do you use it, and if so what for? Gaming? Entertainment? Exercise?
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#2 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

no one? Now that i have nowhere to go for zumba and belly dancing i'm considering bringing it home :)
In all seriousness though, i've tried out the wii a couple times by others and had a blast. If i own one though does it lose its appeal?

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#3 Pamello

Pamello

uNiQuE

• Members
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

A sibling of mine recently purchased zumba for a wii that they already own and they are really enjoying it.

:)

#4 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

I really, really want a wii for exercise reasons, but I believe you need a TV for it. I'd love to hear that I'm wrong. (I heard that you could use it with a PC if you buy a TV tuner, but that's the same problem...)
Posted Image

#5 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I really, really want a wii for exercise reasons, but I believe you need a TV for it. I'd love to hear that I'm wrong. (I heard that you could use it with a PC if you buy a TV tuner, but that's the same problem...)

I beleive thats right, but they work on any old tv which don't cost much and if you are against having a tv on principle, you don't have to actually connect it to programming.

is a wii better for exercise than a kinect?

#6 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

We don't have a TV because we don't trust ourselves not to sit in front of it all day (not for frum reasons). Buying one and not hooking it up would last about 5 minutes. :)

I've heard awesome things about the kinect but you need a decent amount of space to make it work. I think that it really has to do with which games you're using and not the console itself, but I could be wrong. There are way more options out there for the wii because it's not as new as the kinect.
Posted Image

#7 Pamello

Pamello

uNiQuE

• Members
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I think you just need the screen?

#8 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

We don't have a TV because we don't trust ourselves not to sit in front of it all day (not for frum reasons). Buying one and not hooking it up would last about 5 minutes. :)

I've heard awesome things about the kinect but you need a decent amount of space to make it work. I think that it really has to do with which games you're using and not the console itself, but I could be wrong. There are way more options out there for the wii because it's not as new as the kinect.

Lol thats true. If the tv is the only thing holding you back, then i'm sure you can damage the channel socket somehow that it couldn't possibly be hooked up.
Kinect is newer though. Wouldn't it be likely that in a year or so they will have an equal selection to the wii? In any case at the approx $50 a game they both sell for, i wouldn't expect having much variety. One or two select programs is the most i'd hope for. I'm sure the kinect has a worthwhile program or two:)
I've been reading online and it seems the kinect does get better reviews for exercising.

#9 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

I think you just need the screen?

Right. You don't need CNN to run your gaming console.

And what makes you think gaming is any less of a time waster? Have you heard of angry birds?

#10 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

really pissed. There was a $60 one day deal for xbox 360 250g +game today. I hadn't made up my mind yet about getting one but for that price i'm not thinking twice. Of course it was all sold out by the time i found it. I was wondering if i could find a store that would price match but i doubt it.

#11 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

I have an xbox, and a few older systems. Don't exercise with them.

I used to have a VCR, and cable hooked up to my PC through a high quality graphics card. I imagine you could set up a similar system to get a wii to work off of a computer screen, and bypass a TV altogether.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#12 Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate

Gabbai

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

Sounds stupid, but get a TV with no antenna. Then you can't watch anything and you can just use it for the game console.
“The danger of ancient liberty was that men, exclusively concerned with securing their share of social power, might attach too little value to individual rights and enjoyments. The danger of modern liberty is that, absorbed in the enjoyment of our private independence, and in the pursuit of our particular interests, we should surrender our right to share in political power too easily. The holders of authority are only too anxious to encourage us to do so. They are so ready to spare us all sort of troubles, except those of obeying and paying! They will say to us: what, in the end, is the aim of your efforts, the motive of your labours, the object of all your hopes? Is it not happiness? Well, leave this happiness to us and we shall give it to you. No, Sirs, we must not leave it to them. No matter how touching such a tender commitment may be, let us ask the authorities to keep within their limits. Let them confine themselves to being just. We shall assume the responsibility of being happy for ourselves.”
-Benjamin Constant

#13 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have an xbox, and a few older systems. Don't exercise with them.

I used to have a VCR, and cable hooked up to my PC through a high quality graphics card. I imagine you could set up a similar system to get a wii to work off of a computer screen, and bypass a TV altogether.

Do you have a kinect?

#14 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Do you have a kinect?

Nope. I use video games to turn my brain off, and pretend to engage in mindless violence i.e. GTA: Vice City, Halo, Hitman, and Red Dead Redemption.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#15 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

ok :) i get that works for some people. My husband already warned me if we get a gaming console he's only interested in shooting.
Anyhow, someone just offered me his old wii. Was hoping for an xbox but not complaining!!

#16 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

We have and x-box with kinect, I play different dance games on it for exercise all the time. Hey it would be perfect for lakewood, the women could do zumba at home! I've also used wii fit, which is pretty good too, less fun than dancing IMO.

#17 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

We have and x-box with kinect, I play different dance games on it for exercise all the time. Hey it would be perfect for lakewood, the women could do zumba at home! I've also used wii fit, which is pretty good too, less fun than dancing IMO.

My main concern buying this type of thing is its just hype and once i actually own it i won't be interested in using it. Its good to hear feedback from someone who owns one and uses it regularly. There are dance games for the wii fit too i think.

Yeah perfect now go convince lakewood they can be more tznius by owning a tv :)

#18 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

My main concern buying this type of thing is its just hype and once i actually own it i won't be interested in using it. Its good to hear feedback from someone who owns one and uses it regularly. There are dance games for the wii fit too i think.

Yeah perfect now go convince lakewood they can be more tznius by owning a tv :)

Haha, lakewooders taking advice from someone like me? god forbid!

I like xbox better because you dont have to hold the wii thing in your hand when you dance, but otherwise the wii one is fun too.

#19 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

i've been obsessing about this for a while, and i think i've made up my mind about the xbox over the wii or ps3.
1. It works without controllers so its more comfortable to play
2. It may be more outlay than the wii, but the wii needs hundreds of additional accessories for everything while you don't even need to have controllers with a kinect.
3. It plays doubles as a dvd player
4. Kinda like point 2, you can decide to multi player without additional accessories.

Its expensive, but it works out cheaper than a gym membership especially if i factor in babysitting costs, and its one or the other at this point.
My only concern is that the 4gb seemingly doesn't play all the games...? Is there anything else to know? Any other cons to keep in mind?

Eta: space of course, but i'm pretty sure my living room is big enough.

#20 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

We have and x-box with kinect, I play different dance games on it for exercise all the time.

Can you recommend any specific games? I've tried the zumba demo and its wayyy too intense for me.

In the end i bought the xbox+kinect and i am so glad. It was worth every penny. Trying to set up a good routine now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users